Remote randomly disconnecting mid-flight

Reaction score
Good morning from Baltimore, Maryland!

My P2v2.0 suffered a hard crash a few months back (see here for back story: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/200ft-full-power-off-crash-gps-inactive-help.34795/)

The past few flights, I have noticed the remote randomly disconnecting mid-flight. The P2 would only be a matter of feet away and I would get the fast yellow (indicating no remote signal detected) and that would follow a fail safe fly home. Both the P2 and remote would be close to fully charged.

More strangely enough, even pre-flight on the ground with remote right next to the P2, sometimes it takes a few on/offs until the P2 actually notices that the remote is on. Other quirky things that happen are no ability to switch between GPS/ATTI and right stick acting opposite as it should.

Mind you, this all has followed a hard crash that required me to change the GPS chip.

Any thoughts here?? Is there a receiver in the P2 that could be bad?? Looking for some answers or similar experiences.

Have you connected it back up to the assistant software and calibrated everything? If not that's where I would start.

I have done that. I just did it again to be sure. The Compass(raw) shows around 1400 before and after calibration which i believe is high.

I still find it odd that it takes a good 60-90 seconds to connect to GPS (green flash) when it used to be only a matter of seconds.

I have done that. I just did it again to be sure. The Compass(raw) shows around 1400 before and after calibration which i believe is high.

I still find it odd that it takes a good 60-90 seconds to connect to GPS (green flash) when it used to be only a matter of seconds.

1400 is correct.

Maybe one of the antennas was damaged in the crash?

I thought 1400 was **** near the middle (750-2250).

As far as GPS, alot of things can play into that. Here in South Florida 45-75 seconds is typical for my P2 non-vision with no mods (copper foil, etc.) to get the second set of green flashes (I'm in Naza mode, IOC enabled).

The control disconnect also can be numerous items such as disconnected, damaged, antenna(s) or cables; some other internal issue causing interference, or a defective component.

Battery charge level is not one of them. The Tx is regulated and will warn when time to change or recharge depending on your Tx type.

Any idea how to tell if the antenna is damaged? The GPS was easy because you could see a crack right through it

The same, visually.

Inspect from the connection at the PCB all the way to the ends.

You'll have to open both the Tx and quad though.

Visually inspected and I did not see any cracks on any boards inside the quad. All connections look secure as well.

Visually inspected and I did not see any cracks on any boards inside the quad. All connections look secure as well.

Just for the heck of it...

Make sure Transmitter antenna is vertical like a flag pole, not pointed at the quad.

Prepare for the take-off as normal
After all the proper light flashes, etc. don't start the motors and start to walk away from the quad to see if you lose signal.

OK will do. I will report back this evening.

Just trying to see if there's some type of interference generated by the quad internally.
Not saying this will rule it in or out but curious.

Never point the control transmit antenna at the quad just in case you maybe doing this.

Just for the heck of it...

Make sure Transmitter antenna is vertical like a flag pole, not pointed at the quad.

Prepare for the take-off as normal
After all the proper light flashes, etc. don't start the motors and start to walk away from the quad to see if you lose signal.

+1

Check the daughter Receiver board that is connected to the main board of the phantom. They come loose easily after a crash. I had another pilot call me and he could not bind the remote. On closer inspection, the receiver board was loose.

Also check if you have a bent antenna. I accidently crimped my Transmitter antenna and was losing range.

Wondering if you ever resolved this issue since I'm having the same one. I've gotten so aggravated trying everything that I went ahead and even bought the new upgraded remote. After holding down the link button it turned solid green for all of 10 seconds and since have been unable to get either old or new to bind.

Turns out the controller on my P2 was bad. DJI replaced it under warranty

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers