Remote Pilot Certificate Prep Material

Reaction score
For those of you interested, I will be holding a couple of webinars & Facebook Live sessions covering a few of the complexities Remote Pilots will face in their endeavors. This should give all prospective Remote Pilot applicants a good foundation for what they may encounter on a FAA written exam. I will break these down into sessions to cover some of the following topics...

-Airspace - Types and requirements. Controlled and uncontrolled. How to identify on a chart.
-NOTAMS & TFRs - How to find them. How to file them for your operation. How to get approval to fly in a TFR.
-Basic Aerodynamics - Lift Theory. Forces in flight. Stalls & Angle of Attack.
-Aeronautical Charts - How to read them. Where to find them.
- FAR Part 91 and the AIM - You thought 107 is the only part of the regs you'll operate under? Sorry but there is a lot of Part 91 that still applies to Remote Pilots. What's the AIM, and is it regulatory?

If there are any other topics you would like me to address just say so. Ive been flying for almost 7 years (4 of which are in the airline world), I have over 5000 hours in over 30 types of aircraft, dealt with the FAA multiple times (They're actually there to help surprisingly), and I love to fly both commercially and privately. I hold an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate and Certified Flight Instructor Certificate with Instrument Instructor & Multi-Engine Instructor ratings. I, by no means, know everything but I can try to point you in the right direction if I don't know.

All of these will be posted through my Facebook page facebook.com/aerialcolorado or on Twitter at @aerialcolorado. Once I get my new website up I will also be reposting them to my blog too, so you can reference them later. (website link to come when completed). If you're interested just like the page and you will see the updates. I'm leaving for a work for a few days and plan to do a session this weekend. Thanks again for your followship, and happy flying.

Nice effort, but who knows what will be on the new test. I am waiting for a study guide that will be specific for that test.
The FAA doesn't issue "Study Guides". Those in the aviation community know that you "Live and Die by The Gouge". The FAA will just tell you to read these:
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Then the FAA will tell you you're accountable for knowing all the details within those docs, the test you on the most minute of detail. By the way each FAA exam for any pilot certificate is $150.00... At least it was when I took mine years ago. A DPE's hourly charge is about $200/hr, and don't expect him to just sign off your docs... He's going to ask you questions relating to your operation too. If he feels you're not knowledgeable or worthy, he'll reject your app, and you'll still owe him money. Welcome to aviation.

The FAA doesn't issue "Study Guides". Those in the aviation community know that you "Live and Die by The Gouge". The FAA will just tell you to read these:

Then the FAA will tell you you're accountable for knowing all the details within those docs, the test you on the most minute of detail. By the way each FAA exam for any pilot certificate is $150.00... At least it was when I took mine years ago. A DPE's hourly charge is about $200/hr, and don't expect him to just sign off your docs... He's going to ask you questions relating to your operation too. If he feels you're not knowledgeable or worthy, he'll reject your app, and you'll still owe him money. Welcome to aviation.
Such negativity. I found this today:

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Note the statement: "All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource". That's what I was looking for.

They're not called 'Study Guides' but rather 'Test Guides'.
Either way you seemed a bit condescending in your delivery.

I remember using something like this back in the 80's (you can see it's current):
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/media/faa-g-8082-17i.pdf

Will similar be available for UAS, 107, etc.?, don't know but if this is any example, it's possible.

Reactions: SweatpantsDroner
Such negativity. I found this today:

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Note the statement: "All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource". That's what I was looking for.
I didn't mean for it to be negative, just honest. That course you posted is a great resource, and I posted it under the thread "Just compiled the written... Now off to the FSDO" a few days ago. That course will only provide credit to individuals who CURRENTLY hold a FAA Pilot Certificate other than a Student Pilot Certificate. If you're looking for a great prep course, goto the Apple App Store and search Sportys Private Pilot Test Prep. It's what I refer all of my students too. However, like I said, the FAA has not ever published a "Study Guide". I did not mean to offend or come off negative in anyway. I'm also sure the initial Remote Pilot Certificate written test will have a bank of more than 300 questions, as that is the average for any FAA written test. The course you and I both posted exposes the individual to maybe 5 refresher modules and a test of 21 questions as a test to those who currently hold a pilot certificate. It would be prudent, in my opinion, to take a look at some of the private pilot test prep material out there. All I am doing is will to help answer questions they may have about the material addressed, as I am qualified to do so by the FAA.

Here are a few good resources:
Sports Private Pilot Study Buddy App
Shepard Air Pilot Test Prep
American Flyers Test Prep
Jeppesen Aeronautical Charts
AeroNav.com for reading METARs and TAFs, AFDs, and sectionals
Go buy a Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and read the airspace chapter and weather chapter. (Best $30 you'll spend)

That should be a good start.

-SD

Last edited:
They're not called 'Study Guides' but rather 'Test Guides'.
Either way you seemed a bit condescending in your delivery.

I remember using something like this back in the 80's (you can see it's current):
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_guides/media/faa-g-8082-17i.pdf

Will similar be available for UAS, 107, etc.?, don't know but if this is any example, it's possible.
I did not mean to come off that way. I am not sure what the FAA will publish. They may or may not issue material like that. What you just posted is a GREAT tool.

Reactions: N017RW and BigAl07
So we are on the same page I am offering these sessions completely free. Not a single dime. I am doing this to promote the necessary need for safe operations, and to share my experience to help those along in the process. The more we know collectively, the safer each of us will be.

Last edited:
I took the Airman Knowledge Test for my Remote Pilot Certificate. It was a thorough test. Many questions about airspace, Aeronautical Decision Making and Crew Resource Management, some on reading weather reports. I found that there are several YouTube videos on the Pilot Training System channel and the Cyndy Hollman channel. Her videos on Airspace and Sectional Charts are excellent!!
I also recommend that you read the entire Part 107: RIN_2120_AJ60_CLEAN_SIGNED, Remote Pilot Study Guide, Chart Users Guide, Part 107 -2.
Good luck.
Hope we can convince DJI to waive their unlock requirement for those of us who obtain our FAA Remote Pilot Certificate. Right now not only doI have to get ATC permission to fly in controlled airspace, but I also have to get DJI's permission and they have no authority in US National Airspace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers