Remote Firmware #@$%

Reaction score
I was finally able to update my quad firmware to 1.2.8 and have been trying to update the remote to the same version and it's just not working. Here are my steps and what happens.

- I delete the AB txt fie from the SD card from the previous quad upgrade
- Put the SD into a USB reader and insert into the remote with the power off
- Turn on the remote
- There is a red light and 3 white lights with one flashing white light. 4 white total one is flashing.
- It stays like this for about 5 minutes and then starts to beep loudly. 1 beep about every 1 second for about 5 minutes or so.
- Then the unit powers off completely.
- This is the same behavior I think it would go through if there were no SD card inserted at all.
- No AB text file is ever created on the card.

DJI support says the remote is probably already upgraded. When I look in the mobile app it shows the mobile app version 1.2.0 and Firmware 1.2.8 but doesn't state if that is the quad or the RC.

So is the remote already upgraded or is something else going on??

I was finally able to update my quad firmware to 1.2.8 and have been trying to update the remote to the same version and it's just not working. Here are my steps and what happens.

- Turn on the remote
- There is a red light and 3 white lights with one flashing white light. 4 white total one is flashing.
- It stays like this for about 5 minutes and then starts to beep loudly. 1 beep about every 1 second for about 5 minutes or so.
- This is the same behavior I think it would go through if there were no SD card inserted at all.

DJI support says the remote is probably already upgraded. When I look in the mobile app it shows the mobile app version 1.2.0 and Firmware 1.2.8 but doesn't state if that is the quad or the RC.

already upgraded-- or at least that is what some of the posts have said. I cant verify, because I am still on 1.1.9

In regards to updating the controller...
Don't use a USB reader. DJI's remote cannot accommodate for the USB readers in the world.
Best bet is to use the most compatible USB reader that DJI recognises - Yes, the one on the camera.
Leave the bin in the root and leave the SD card in phantom. Take the USB cable that you fly with or the one supplied as this is a data usb cable. Plug the small micro usb end into the camera and the rectangle usb end into the Controller. Power on phantom and then power on controller and watch the green led change to blue (or vice verser as I don't remember which colour is first).

I wish DJI didn't mention about using a USB reader in the manual. Confused many it has. :)

In regards to updating the controller...
Don't use a USB reader. DJI's remote cannot accommodate for the USB readers in the world.
Best bet is to use the most compatible USB reader that DJI recognises - Yes, the one on the camera.
Leave the bin in the root and leave the SD card in phantom. Take the USB cable that you fly with or the one supplied as this is a data usb cable. Plug the small micro usb end into the camera and the rectangle usb end into the Controller. Power on phantom and then power on controller and watch the green led change to blue (or vice verser as I don't remember which colour is first).

I wish DJI didn't mention about using a USB reader in the manual. Confused many it has. :)
Well that makes a lot of sense. Immediately it's a different outcome. When I attach to the camera the remote now gets an immediate green light. Which I'm guessing means it does not need to be upgraded. I bet the remote has a problem with USB 3.0 or something. The cable is 2.0. Thanks!

Well that makes a lot of sense. Immediately it's a different outcome. When I attach to the camera the remote now gets an immediate green light. Which I'm guessing means it does not need to be upgraded. I bet the remote has a problem with USB 3.0 or something. The cable is 2.0. Thanks!

From memory the latest firmware updated the controller too, so you shouldn't have gone straight to green light. I could be wrong.

How about placing the firmware bin file on a proper USB stick and doing it that way, then check the txt file that gets created on it afterwards.

Yeah it's difficult to tell which firmware version the various parts are at as they don't seem to be separated. They should indicate the version for each and every component to help with troubleshooting.

From memory the latest firmware updated the controller too, so you shouldn't have gone straight to green light. I could be wrong.

How about placing the firmware bin file on a proper USB stick and doing it that way, then check the txt file that gets created on it afterwards.

Yeah it's difficult to tell which firmware version the various parts are at as they don't seem to be separated. They should indicate the version for each and every component to help with troubleshooting.
If I go into the DJI app while connected to the RC and look at the version it shows the firmware as 1.2.8 which "could" mean the version of the bird or the version of the RC. But since the bird is not even powered on at this point I'm assuming it's the RC. It's all very convoluted and although it should be a simple process it is certainly anything but.

As far as the suggestion though, I think trying to figure out what a "proper USB stick" is exactly is the problem. I have tried 2 different 3.0 USB sticks and had the same result. The result seems to be exactly what you would expect if you powered on the remote with no stick at all. So it does seem to be a read issue. If I can find a 2.0 stick I'll try that too but for now it does seem like the firmware is already upgraded and that's what DJI is also saying. I just don't know how good their support is. IT desktop support is usually about like Russian Roulette. I'm assuming this to be the same.

- Turn on the remote

Hi
I just had the same problem. I spent two hours messing with it then I gave up. I decided instead the down load the manuals and other stuff I thought I might need. After down loading the update notes I found out that update v1.21.8 had no update in it for the remote. It said if you had updated to v1.2.7 the remote would be done. My problem is I just got this phantom so my first update is v1.2.8 I don't know how to get v1.2.7 so I can just update the remote. I think they should put the update note in with the update zip file.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31