Remote external antenna for flying from indoors

Reaction score
Given these assumptions; outside the United States and in an extremely remote location (over 300 miles from any civilization). If you had a bunker and wanted to be able to fly a PSP from inside, could you connect something to your remote to take the antenna outside so you can operate it from inside?

Your scenario is pretty hard core. I fly from inside with stock antennas when it's cold outside.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

A member here, @Hunter Clark , installed a roof antenna and used to make long range flights and live stream them.

I fly my Phantom from inside my vehicle when its cold but have been playing with the idea of an external mounted antenna...I have the DBS itelite so I'm thinking I can just get some longer cables and mount another DBS antenna on the roof of my jeep (thinking of using the lightbar) and then simply attaching the RC to the cables and flying as such... I think the same would work for your "bunker" idea, you just need to decide on what type of antenna and find a way to mount it and rotate it if necessary.

I can't imagine why not. Its RF. Pretty standard stuff. Should be able to hack the RC to put coax connectors, probably a Type-N or similar. You would need very low loss transmission line and that won't be cheap either. At 2.4 or 2.8ghz, waveguide is more efficient at moving the RF. Its also more expensive and less flexible. But it has the advantage of being able to feed directly into a reflector array to radiate RF (and pick it up).

I don't know how the antennas are configured, but I suspect its similar to WiFi routers and such where one antenna is used to transmit, the other for receive.

This video:
Shows adding external antennas to the transmitter, with amps. The EXACT same thing as far as internal to the remote. Then you run a pair of antenna cables from your control room to the external antennas of your choice. I would put a pair of amps as close as possible to the antennas. All your equipment needs to be 2.4ghz.

Interesting topic.

All your equipment needs to be 2.4ghz.
I believe there is a 5ghz tranceiver involved as well. I think the Inspire uses a 5ghz link between pilot and camera operator RCs. Doesn't the Inspire and the P3A and P3P all have the same RC now? If so, then I would presume they would have the 5ghz link hardware. Maybe not used for the P3x. But it might still be there.

Has anyone cracked their RC open and compared it to the Inspire 1 RC? Are they indeed identical (short of firmware I would presume)?

Has anyone cracked their RC open and compared it to the Inspire 1 RC? Are they indeed identical (short of firmware I would presume)?

The RC's only look alike, the internals are very different...I cracked mine to install the DBS Mod Itelite but was watching the Inspire Instructional video and was somewhat confused at first until I realized I was watching the wrong video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfiesden
Thanks, thats good info there. I was kinda hoping that was not the case. Would have been cool to be able to use our P3 remotes as, say, camera remotes on an Inspire. Oh well. I am sure it was a cost issue.

So the P3 pro and advanced are only 2.4, the 4k and standard are 5.8 radio, 2.4 video.
The inspire 1 is 5.8 and 2.4, not specifying which is which.

Alright kids, I finally found this video I saw quite a while back. Now, this is sweet man. Extreme, but sweet!

Reactions: Oso
So does anyone know what these are? This is a screen shot taken from the video. They appear to be so type of boosters.

Attachments

• booster.jpg
    booster.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 941
So does anyone know what these are? This is a screen shot taken from the video. They appear to be so type of boosters.
Those appear to be RF 'boosters' (transceivers). They work, can be cranky of installation. May well run you afoul the FCC or relevant authority in your neck of the woods (if you care about these sorts of things). Seem to cost around $500 or so.

They are boosters common with the fpvlr mod. What isn't shown and what I wish could be seen is the antennas on the truck and how the wires are run. The boosters I suppose are really needed in that setup to counter loss from the extra distance. I have fplv with booster on my q500 and the boosters do great. That truck is quite a rig but I'd kill that copter sound track right quick.

Just do a google search for "2016 Sunhans 3W 2.4GHz Signal Booster". I've found them for anywhere between $50-120 USD each, shopping around will net you the best price.

Sunhans

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20