Remote capture of Hero GoPro

Reaction score
Simple question I am sure but I cannot find the answer. I'm sure it's the search criteria I am using.

I am using a Phantom Vision (belongs to my work) now so I am used to being able to start/stop video capture and take snapshots at any time. I am wanting to get a Phantom 2 with a Hero GoPro, gibmal and remote FPV in the near future. My question is can I start/stop video capture and take snapshots on command remotely with this setup?

Thanks!

It has been asked and answered a number of times here but I'll give you the simple answer. No. You start recording and/or time lapse photos before you take off.

There are 3 ways to operate the GoPro hero:

- Wirelessly: through its official remote or smartphone APP. Either of these will operate through 2.4Ghz WIFI frequency, with limited range and likely to interfere with Phantom 1 and Phantom 2's 2.4Ghz control channel. You can use this path if you use a Phantom Vision or Phantom FC-40, both of which operate on 5.8ghz. You will need a wifi repeater and antenna upgrade regiment to make the range usable.

- Via cable\connector: AFAIK they've changed the protocol from Hero2 to Hero3\3+. There is a servo activated cable that interfaces to Hero 2 and limited version of Hero 3 (black and silver is not controllable via this way IIRC). DJI had plans to wire the zenmuse to control Hero's shutter, but this seems to be the reason they failed to deliver.

- Via mechanical buttons: You can mount servos to manually click the buttons. You'll need to change the tx\rx on the phantom to add additional channel that's needed for this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31