Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.41

Re: Release DJI Ground Station for P2V+ Waypoints app 1.0.4

I just tested it out navigating a course in the dark. Pretty amazing! And nothing else to buy! Seems to work exactly as advertised. I just remembered I last flew it about 130 miles northwest of tonight's flight and forgot to recalibrate the compass. Didn't notice any issues with that.

Can we use the app with ipad 2? Dji site doesn't count ipad2 in recommended devices but i wonder if there is anyone using ipad 2?

I got in a hurry last night and tried the app, but not with great results. That said, I don't think it was an app issue but rather an operator issue.

Between rain showers, I rushed out to my deck to give it a try. When I pushed "Go", the craft immediately tried to take off at a very flat angle, crashing into a deck chair. I expected the craft to elevate first and then begin flying to the first waypoint. I thought I read the instructions wrong but after rereading I see I was correct:

Aircraft reacts differently to the “GO” command:
 If aircraft is on the ground, the aircraft takes off automatically and ascend 16 feet (5m) then
fly to the first waypoint.
 If aircraft is in the air, the aircraft flies to the first waypoint.

Other than a slightly incorrect Chinese - English translation, the instructions are clear. I plan to give it another try out in a more open area. Thoughts/observations:
1) I did a compass recalibration on my deck which is not a great place to do a recal. That could have been the problem.
2) I purchased quite a few propellers which is all I've ever broken on the P2V+. I find the unit incredibly well thought out and sturdy.
3) I am 100% happy with the P2V+. Other than the occasional video link breaks, I've had absolutely no issues with the P2V+. All crashes (minor) have been due to operator error. Vortex ring state is one thing I've learned to watch out for, the other cause is normally flying out of control or flying too close to objects, thinking I'm a hot-shot pilot.
4) Grabbing the P2V+ out of the air is the best way I've found to "land". It is much safer (on the P2V+) and it keeps the camera lens from getting pelted by dirt kicked up by the prop wash. I know this is something DJI would never recommend and would probably be something the FAA would love to make illegal but, hey, it works.
5) The new Ground Station app is very easy to use and appears well thought out. I can't wait to give it a fair test.

attachment.php

So I take it the green circle indicates the area you are limited to setting all waypoints? And if that is the case, then what were was dji referring to withe the 3.1 mile limit mentioned?

tedw123 said:
myvrodrocks said:
Ummm just to be sure? We have to give up our beloved 1.08 and move to 3 or better for this to work?

I guess I simply don't understand the fuss. I have had a Vision and Vision+ and have flown 1.08 and now the most current. I don't have any noticeable flight changes with the exception of controlled rate of descent, which is actually good in someways as it protects one from crashing. I think the topic is way overblown.

You my friend have airport restrictions. I don't.

Mosleyh said:
I wonder if the altitude at the waypoints based on actual GPS elevation, or the home position? I can think of some interesting "missions" flying off the top of a mountain, but that might require negative altitude settings depending upon where the altitude data comes from.

A barometric altimeter is used to determine the altitude based on air pressure and temperature. When the aircraft starts, it assumes it is at ground level (0). So all of the altitude measurements are relative to that point.

-- Roger

Personally I dont see airport restrictions as a bad thing ?? There are too many numpties just think they can fly anywhere and be damned, and if people flew responsibly they wouldn't have to impose restrictions in the first place !

And why do you want to fly next to an airport ??.....is there not enough room elsewhere on the planet !!!

:roll:

There is a very good reason for having airport restrictions. Anyone who lives that close to an airport, I'm sorry, probably shouldn't be flying. :eek:

Ever heard of Phantom flyaways? :?

Jimmy

If I use NAZA mode, will the S1 switch still function the same way to regain control?

Has anyone with the WiFi Booster app tried the new waypoints app yet?

Jimmy

Could not use firmware 1.08 with mine. Kept saying "can't connect to Ground Station." Got home late last night, about 1030PM and was out in the desert at midnight and flew two missions. Very easy, cool factor a "10" but disappointed with the radius limit. I can think of good uses for it in the future. I think it was just a trick to get me to up-grade to latest firmware. Flawless on first use.

ChuckMRN said:
Could not use firmware 1.08 with mine. Kept saying "can't connect to Ground Station." Got home late last night, about 1030PM and was out in the desert at midnight and flew two missions. Very easy, cool factor a "10" but disappointed with the radius limit. I can think of good uses for it in the future. I think it was just a trick to get me to up-grade to latest firmware. Flawless on first use.
Yea... I haven't had a chance to use yet! Thanks for your input.
Allan

ChuckMRN said:

If you live in the US the radius limit is now set by the FAA has VLOS. So for most US pilots the point is moot. Waypoints or not, you cannot fly beyond what your eyeballs can see without anything except normal glasses or sunglasses.

JamesD said:
There is a very good reason for having airport restrictions. Anyone who lives that close to an airport, I'm sorry, probably shouldn't be flying.

The restrictions are generally good, but users should be able to override them. Some R/C clubs regularly fly at airports with a waiver from the FAA. There are also special events, such as air shows, when waivers are granted to allow model aircraft to fly at airports.

-- Roger

ftimster said:
Working for me on 1.08!!!

I'm trying to absorb what the big excitement is with 1.08? Mine is fully updated and flies better than ever, even with 1.08? FPV filming really gives neat video options and you are limiting yourself.

tedw123 said:
ftimster said:
Working for me on 1.08!!!

I'm trying to absorb what the big excitement is with 1.08? Mine is fully updated and flies better than ever, even with 1.08? FPV filming really gives neat video options and you are limiting yourself.

The PRIMARY reason it was popular, was for the 7th channel (Vision Owners) It was also a stable revision before all the FAA 5 mile restrictions, max decent speeds, etc, were included.

I'm happy to say I just took the machine out to fly with waypoints! Did it 4 times and had my heart beating fast as I wasn't sure it was doing the path I expected. Turns out it was ... On the 3d flight I let it go so far in the desert that I lost track of it visually although I could barely hear it. I was real happy when I followed it on the app and it made it's final turn towards me. Too much fun!

For the people trying this, has the app update affected the normal flying at all ?....no appfreeze....no pixilation.....no black screen ? Has it made any difference from 1.40 other than the waypoints ??

;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav