Regulations for Spain

the DJI (unofficial mind you maps) show this.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 16.30.15.png

Yes, and the green zones pretty much tells you that you can fly there (not a NFZ). A little misleading...

DJI show it as a warning zone.

Unfortunately with so many zones and areas around the world it takes time for the maps to be updated (dji ones that is)

Thank you RobinB for sharing that link, I am just between two zones with enough space and area to fly. But definitely not going near one as it is a nuclear power plant :eek:
Wife has confirmed the mavic has arrived, so more reading, more videos to watch and more studying the laws here in Spain. :rolleyes:

I've read through lots of different rules and regulations of flying a drone (as a hobby). But I would like to ask someone to clarify one thing:
How close can you actually fly a Mavic/Phantom to an airport (Class C or D) in Spain while obviously keeping the normal guidelines (below 400 ft, line of sight, etc.)

Specifically, I would like to fly it around Jerez and Cadiz, however some maps show a ¬5mile nfz around jerez airport while DJI go app only shows ¬1 mile radius. Which should I follow to avoid any trouble?

In Spain it is always best to ask the tourism office/ police station/ local town hall to be absolutely certain as Spain has a lot of [over] regulation (drone paranoia) and huge, regressive fines if you infringe on anything.

Those national airspace height/ distance restrictions do not universally apply in Spain, I'm afraid to say. There are many exceptions, and most of those are provincial. Spain has a system of very devolved and proportionally represented governments and provincial governments, all of which have differing laws and some of which do the opposite even to nationally based laws and guidelines.

Do not fly in national parks or reserves either, hefty fines to be had there. Catalunya has a devolved government (as are most regions in Spain), so you need to check out for any localised nuances in the law. Nationally speaking in Spain, as of right now, drones are classed as model aircraft, governed by the national model flying club, and hobbyists must fly in designated areas only and get membership of the national model flying club. Spain will come down on you very hard if you fly anywhere where forest fire helicopter zones or military or civilian aerodromes have take off/ landing flight paths. I have read and seen in Spain of stories of people getting 6 figure fines due to Spanish air force jets being scrambled to investigate "unidentified flying objects" such as UAVs, and they will give you the bill, potentially. Spain has some of the single most regressive laws towards drones in the whole EU, beaten only by Sweden and Belgium. It is not entirely banned, but I urge you to thoroughly do your local research before thinking of taking off.

My experience of Spain is through my having a Spanish wife, and I go 3 times a year there.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulmavic
Italy is a good place to visit with a drone, for the record. The height and distance restrictions for non licensed people are slightly worse (70 metres up, 250 metres horizontal flight) but easy to work in those limits and Italy is not nearly as much of a pain as Spain is generally speaking. I recommend anyone get themselves full public liability insurance voluntarily, as it does open doors showing off that certificate with £10 million cover (!), believe me! I got a domestic and an EU policy, and I have found them helpful.

Generally speaking also when I travel to the continent, I find it is appreciated that you proactively interact with the "powers that be": "I am a drone user, I would be very grateful of you could inform me where specifically you would be happy, according to local laws, for me to do some aerial photography", or suggest where you want to go and ask if that is okay, yardi yarda. It is largely common sense, but some laws (especially bye laws) are very well hidden, oftentimes, or vague to say the least, when you do find them!

In Spain it is always best to ask the tourism office/ police station/ local town hall to be absolutely certain as Spain has a lot of [over] regulation (drone paranoia) and huge, regressive fines if you infringe on anything.

Those national airspace height/ distance restrictions do not universally apply in Spain, I'm afraid to say. There are many exceptions, and most of those are provincial. Spain has a system of very devolved and proportionally represented governments and provincial governments, all of which have differing laws and some of which do the opposite even to nationally based laws and guidelines.

Do not fly in national parks or reserves either, hefty fines to be had there. Catalunya has a devolved government (as are most regions in Spain), so you need to check out for any localised nuances in the law. Nationally speaking in Spain, as of right now, drones are classed as model aircraft, governed by the national model flying club, and hobbyists must fly in designated areas only and get membership of the national model flying club. Spain will come down on you very hard if you fly anywhere where forest fire helicopter zones or military or civilian aerodromes have take off/ landing flight paths. I have read and seen in Spain of stories of people getting 6 figure fines due to Spanish air force jets being scrambled to investigate "unidentified flying objects" such as UAVs, and they will give you the bill, potentially. Spain has some of the single most regressive laws towards drones in the whole EU, beaten only by Sweden and Belgium. It is not entirely banned, but I urge you to thoroughly do your local research before thinking of taking off.

My experience of Spain is through my having a Spanish wife, and I go 3 times a year there.

Thanks Nowelly for the detailed response. I will be sure to check locally before I start flying.. especially in Spain :)

Reactions: Nowelly
Thanks Nowelly for the detailed response. I will be sure to check locally before I start flying.. especially in Spain :)
Better to be safe than sorry mate, really is. I go to Castille Y Leon the most, so I am not the most experienced to advise on Catalunyan local laws and bye laws. But in Castille Y Leon, I often go to the local town halls or tourist offices or police stations to double check I can fly in particular spots, and I show them the kit, show them my public liability insurance, etc. On public liability insurance, get some - I don't know where you are travelling from, but it is well worth having as I mention in another comments. It opens doors and seems to pass on a certain reassurance to those you are trying to convince ;)

Hi. Had P4 in U.K. Am in Albir next to Benidorm on hol and around Noon some idiot decided to fly his phantom over everyone on the beach and then fly up the surf line at around 30 meters, then go back. He must have been flying from a side road. Didn't see if he got arrested, probably not, but this is why I sold my P4. Idiots just doing what they want, that ruin it for the rest. I understand how people resent drones, as people were pointing at it, and probably don't understand that even at 30m, everyone's a really small almost unidentifiable part of the video.

Thanks for this, where do you fly in Spain? I intend to use my drone down at the beach mostly for photo shots at sunrise and sunset. Do you think I would have a problem with this - I live near Marbella
Hi I live in estepona there are plenty of places to fly but the laws are no flying near buildings or crowds also the beach is prohibited and no flying at night if caught the penalties are severe

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20