REgular gopro compared to vision camera

Reaction score
I have a couple Gopro cameras but they are not the new Gopro3. With that in mind would I be that much better off going with a Phantom2 Vision? Or getting the Phantom2 and getting the wifi kit for my current cameras?

If you are considering the Phantom 2 with the gimbal then you will have to upgrade to the Hero3 cameras. The Hero2 isn't compatible with the H3-2D gimbal that comes with the Phantom 2.

You cannot use wifi on your gopro. The only phantom that can use wifi is the vision. Personally I would go with the phantom 2 and zenmuse and buy the hero3. Multiple reasons. You can use the gopro outside of the phantom (i.e. Snorkeling) but the camera on the vision is stuck on the vision. You'll also notice that right now everyone is talking about wanting to buy a gimbal for their vision. When you factor in the cost of the vision then the cost of a gimbal for it, you would have spent much more than you would on a P2. You also will get better video with the gopro. I look at it like this, the vision is like an iPad, it's idiot proof and made so that everyone can use it out of the box. The P2 is like an Alienware gaming computer. You can do a lot more with it and really tweak it nicely but you're every day old man isn't going to understand how to use it.

LOL!!! I would probably fall under the typical (old man) comment. A techy person I'm not but I stumble through. I really hate to buy another Gopro when I already have 2 that do me fine for other things I do with them.
So my older Gopro's simply won't work with any Phantom setups?

hdrider said:
LOL!!! I would probably fall under the typical (old man) comment. A techy person I'm not but I stumble through. I really hate to buy another Gopro when I already have 2 that do me fine for other things I do with them.
So my older Gopro's simply won't work with any Phantom setups?

That is correct. The Hero2 will not work with the gimbal that comes with the Phantom 2 kit.

You could get it to work if you bought an aftermarket gimbal that fits it. Problem is that it will require some work to get it all to work right and without a solid knowledge of what you're doing, you won't be happy. It would be less of a headache to get a new one. You could attempt to sell the older ones. I will say that gopro has made huge improvements with the 3. You could also look for a gopro 3 and not a 3+. This would save you some money.

I disagree KSC. I chose the P2V mainly because of the FPV capability and the ability to take photos while in the air. The P2 is the same machine just without the proprietary camera attached. Yeah it does suck that you have to pay more but I think if you paid for an FPV setup you would pay just as much or more. I might remove my vision camera and put on something else in the future but for now I have to say I think the vision camera is equal in quality to the Hero 3. I will admit that I want a better gimbal for the vision camera but I'm sure they will release one. I just personally like the FPV ability of the Vision.

I have both and the video quality is very close. I actually tested the two in a similar video and didn't see a noticeable difference. The only thing I will say is the Vision camera still seems to have a very slight "fish eye" appearance even on the narrow setting. Supposedly Adobe can remove that but I haven't messed with it.

There is a massive difference in stability. The gopro on a gimbal has 99.9% perfectly balanced video. The vision not so much.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj