Regular brief video break-ups normal?

Reaction score
Hello all!! I have a dumb question. Every flight I get at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 what I call very brief video break-ups. By brief I'm talking like a second tops. I'm assuming this is perfectly normal but until I ask I guess I'm just assuming. I've gotten this from day one with my P3A, it doesn't matter what FW or app version either. It never shows up on the recorded video, just on my Ipad. Thanks for your input and best wishes!!
Jim

Hello all!! I have a dumb question. Every flight I get at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 what I call very brief video break-ups. By brief I'm talking like a second tops. I'm assuming this is perfectly normal but until I ask I guess I'm just assuming. I've gotten this from day one with my P3A, it doesn't matter what FW or app version either. It never shows up on the recorded video, just on my Ipad. Thanks for your input and best wishes!!
Jim
you are probably getting lag-- what type of device are you running?

you are probably getting lag-- what type of device are you running?
I'm running a designated Ipad air 2. I was running an Ipad mini 2 at first and had the same exact thing. It probably is lag and being a newbie I just don't realize it, LOL. The best way I can describe it is it's like the video stops very briefly and then refreshes itself.

How far out are you? This can be normal due to interference and how far away you are.
I'm out in the country and there's really no set pattern as to where it happens. It can be at 2000 ft out, 6000 ft out, it really doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't think the ipad is getting warm either, tonight it was 45 degrees F and it happened both flights.

When you fly check your channels and see how much interference you have. I did have this when I flew in my neighborhood every once in a while. I did the 32 channel hack and hasn't done it since.

When you fly check your channels and see how much interference you have. I did have this when I flew in my neighborhood every once in a while. I did the 32 channel hack and hasn't done it since.
Good call, I'll give that a try. Thinking about it now it happens more often when I'm turning than any other time.

I wouldn't worry about it. I know it does cause your heart to skip that 1 second though lol
Thanks Waternut!! I'm actually pretty used to it. The first few times it happened though my heart did skip a few beats! lol I'm sure it's something that everyone flying one of these has experienced. I though maybe getting a windsurfer would help but it hasn't. All is good though, I love flying my P3A!!

No problem. Yea a wind surfer won't help if there is interference. Take a look at the 32 channel hack,it can't hurt anything :)

i had that happen at a mile out. It happened when i yawed it to come back home. Someone said it was from the antenna in the legs crossing paths when I yawed it.

i had that happen at a mile out. It happened when i yawed it to come back home. Someone said it was from the antenna in the legs crossing paths when I yawed it.
That would make sense. Thanks for the info! Definitely some food for thought. Thinking about it, it usually happens when I'm turning left. I'm going to try making right handers just out of curiosity for a flight and see if it makes any difference, will also check the HD channels for interference.

It's been windy just about everyday here but I was able to get a flight in last night just before dark. Apparently I didn't RTFM close enough!! LOL At start up I always had my Ipad plugged in from the start, I just didn't open the app until the r/c and a/c were connected. Last night I actually waited to plug in my Ipad until after they were connected and it was the first time I didn't have any video break up. I'm not going to get overly excited because it was only one flight. Could having the ipad plugged into the r/c before it connects

It's been windy just about everyday here but I was able to get a flight in last night just before dark. Apparently I didn't RTFM close enough!! LOL At start up I always had my Ipad plugged in from the start, I just didn't open the app until the r/c and a/c were connected. Last night I actually waited to plug in my Ipad until after they were connected and it was the first time I didn't have any video break up. I'm not going to get overly excited because it was only one flight. Could having the ipad plugged into the r/c before it connects cause a problem?
No. Mine stays connected 24/7 unless the iPad Air2 needs recharging. Only time video gets dropped is if I am slightly off axis to the aircraft at great distance, and then a slight reorientation brings the feed back. Lower your video feed in DJI GO from 10 to 4 Mbs. That is recomended for long distance flying. Also consider turning off video caching. It only caches 720p while recording 4K or 2.7K or 1080p to the micro SD card, so unless you lose your aircraft, it's a low quality redundant backup only used for editing the 720p video on the iPad. It also uses up system resources that could prevent the loss of the video feed, which would prevent the video caching anyway!

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
No. Mine stays connected 24/7 unless the iPad Air2 needs recharging. Only time video gets dropped is if I am slightly off axis to the aircraft at great distance, and then a slight reorientation brings the feed back. Lower your video feed in DJI GO from 10 to 4 Mbs. That is recomended for long distance flying. Also consider turning off video caching. It only caches 720p while recording 4K or 2.7K or 1080p to the micro SD card, so unless you lose your aircraft, it's a low quality redundant backup only used for editing the 720p video on the iPad. It also uses up system resources that could prevent the loss of the video feed, which would prevent the video caching anyway!
Thanks Gadget Guy!! I have had the video cache off and the video feed at 4 mbps for quite some time now. I also have the hardware decode on. Maybe what I'm getting is pretty normal. I never get it close in, it always happens when I'm out at least a half mile and usually when I'm turning. I wish they would make the video transmission rate adjustable in auto mode, I do like the idea of it changing channels automatically if there is interference but the 10 mbps is way higher than I need it so I'm always in custom set to 4.

Thanks Gadget Guy!! I have had the video cache off and the video feed at 4 mbps for quite some time now. I also have the hardware decode on. Maybe what I'm getting is pretty normal. I never get it close in, it always happens when I'm out at least a half mile and usually when I'm turning. I wish they would make the video transmission rate adjustable in auto mode, I do like the idea of it changing channels automatically if there is interference but the 10 mbps is way higher than I need it so I'm always in custom set to 4.
You are welcome! If you use the 32 channel hack to avoid interference, the channel selection has to be set to manual on a specific channel, as the automatic setting only uses the stock 20 channels, even with the hack. Turning causes the vertical antennas in the struts to tip sideways during the maneuver, which reduces their signal strength when the transmitter antennas are vertical, so I am not surprised that it can lead to temporary loss of video at long range. The HDMI FPV out from the transmitter (with the HDMI board upgrade) is more robust and not subject to the whims of DJI GO and the tablet. I'm putting one in as a backup to retain FPV, for when the app crashes or the iPad reboots in midflight. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1