Regretting not getting the Plus - need advice on options

Reaction score
So I am relatively new phantom 2 vision owner. I pulled the trigger and bought it when the price dropped to $999, at that time I thought I could get by without the gimbal and the new model (Of course they dropped the Plus price this week). It's been a blast flying it, but I regret not paying more for the Plus now that I know how it's virtually impossible to buy an aftermarket gimbal.. I guess the roto pixel is decent, but I don't like the fact that it's back ordered for months and it brings down battery times so much. What are the best options to get to plus level performance without breaking the bank? Can you buy a vision plus replacement camera and put it on the vision?

Just need someone to help ease my mind with some possible solutions as I can't stop kicking myself for not getting the Plus...

captej26 said:
+ camera will not work.... VERY fragile anyway

Okay that's good to know, I didn't know it was that fragile. I have tried to read through the forum to fund out which gimbal is best for the vision, but so many opinions. I'm looking for a gimbal that will be the easiest to install, and require very little if any software troubleshooting.. I just can't stand spending hundreds of dollars and then having to spend hours trouble shooting issues, how to install, etc... I know that's probably a Longshot with any aftermarket gimbal, but maybe there is one out there that is in Stock, works well and easy to setup.

Love it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 630
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 618
captej26 said:

I just don't think I can give up that much flight time though... Isn't it about half the battery life vs stock vision? How does that battery life compare to vision plus? How was the install and setup?

Are you using non stock props?

A little more than half. I get about 12-14 min. Install is a no brainer. Ant it's smooth as silk. I have a number of batteries and don't feel the need to fly that far. Also I am building a Tarot 680pro now for more payload.

There are several gimbals available for the Vision... not sure what gave you the idea that there was only one option. Not only that, but the backlog on the RotorPixel gimbal is clearing up fairly quickly, now, and it's nowhere near the wait there was before.

I actually think that an aftermarket gimbal on a straight P2V is a better platform than the Plus. DJI made the Plus' gimbal much too delicate, IMHO... and I think you'd be much happier with your upgraded P2V anyway.

YolevonALLin said:
So I am relatively new phantom 2 vision owner. I pulled the trigger and bought it when the price dropped to $999, at that time I thought I could get by without the gimbal and the new model (Of course they dropped the Plus price this week). It's been a blast flying it, but I regret not paying more for the Plus now that I know how it's virtually impossible to buy an aftermarket gimbal.. I guess the roto pixel is decent, but I don't like the fact that it's back ordered for months and it brings down battery times so much. What are the best options to get to plus level performance without breaking the bank? Can you buy a vision plus replacement camera and put it on the vision?

Just need someone to help ease my mind with some possible solutions as I can't stop kicking myself for not getting the Plus...

I was one of the early adopters of the P2V... and I was plenty pissed off when the P2V+ came out a few months after I dropped well over a thousand bucks on the P2V. I'm no longer pissed about that. I consider myself lucky that I'm not a P2V+ early adopter. The camera/gimbal is obviously much too fragile and the camera is exactly the same camera that came with the P2V, but with a very different form factor.

I think the RotorPixel gimbal is probably the best option for P2V owners and that production for that gimbal will eventually even out and ship within a reasonable time frame. RotorPixel has already made some very nice modifications to that gimbal that makes it smaller, tougher and more reliable. I have a fairly major job on hold while I wait for a gimbal. This is the one I'm waiting for.

-slinger

Thank you all for the feedback. This is exactly why I posted and I just needed something to ease my buyers regret. I'll hold out for the rotopixel gimbal, but I doubt I'll prepay to wait and just wait until it's fully supplied and not backordered. Is it realistic to hope that within a few months, rotopixel will be fully stocked and finally out of this hole? Also, how does the Phantom fly with the gimbal and added weight. I know the battery difference is a given, but does it appear sluggish or delayed in its flight or have any issues hovering in place?

If you search in this forum, there are several threads that have video samples from RotorPixel gimbals. The Phantom appears to fly quite nicely (though some have to do quite a bit if config to get it nice and stable).

Yeah... from what I've read, a couple months should be ample time to clear up the backlog for RotorPixels. Now that he's switched over to injection moldings, he can send them out much quicker. There will probably be occasional delays, from time to time, as he gets more parts molded. But I'd feel pretty comfortable ordering one now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1