Regrets

Well, I don't know why but every time I see a P3P, I get angry then just plain jealous, (I have a P3A which is GREAT, but am wishing I spent the extra $$$$ on the P3P). I'm sure its just greed though, does anybody else feel this? lol
I don't even need drone footage, never the less 4K, but it would be nice.. if I could play 4K on anything lol
It might just be the fact that I like the gold stickers and the gold plate.... wish I could have a gold plate that says Phantom Advanced.. lol that would be nice :)

Odd... if not for the 4K camera for video, I can't figure out why you'd want one since you say you have a P3A. Remember that the P3A has the same camera sensor as the P3P therefore picture taking is identical. It is only the video of the P3P that has a higher resolution than the P3A. However, if you were a video photographer you'd never pick the P3P for your work as the bit rate is low and the lens is fixed. You'd certainly buy something much more pro for that purpose.

The only reason I picked the Professional over the Advanced was due to the 5 times higher max bitrate for the live feed.

After building and flying quads with GoPros and small cameras the lightbridge is an outstanding technology. Finding for myself that flying with goggles is the ultimate way to fly there is no way I wouldn't want to fly with the best view possible.

Other than that 4K is pointless to me so I would be happy with an advanced if not flying with goggles.
Do you find that the P3A is unacceptable with the goggles or acceptable, and which goggles do you use?

my father has a P3P while I have the P3A I bought a few weeks after he got his.

Had I known the resolution/downlink to the tablet in flight would be better (10mbps vs 2mbps) I would have bought the P3P instead. .

Strange. I have never noticed any resolution difference. Both max out to 720p. The extra "max" bandwidth you get with the P3P is a "max" bandwidth if conditions are optimal (e.g . flying over an ocean) It defaults to 2mbps otherwise when there is interference.

Strange. I have never noticed any resolution difference. Both max out to 720p. The extra "max" bandwidth you get with the P3P is a "max" bandwidth if conditions are optimal (e.g . flying over an ocean) It defaults to 2mbps otherwise when there is interference.

Quick search will yield lots of comparisons. On a phone screen it's probably not noticeable. On my iPad it is noticeable & if you use FPV goggles it's VERY noticeable.

Is it a deal breaker ? Not for most but at $999 for a pro I would return my advanced and spend the extra couple dollars to have a pro as my backup rather than an advanced.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I hate price dipping, I paid so high. Haha

Reactions: dirtybum
Quick search will yield lots of comparisons. On a phone screen it's probably not noticeable. On my iPad it is noticeable & if you use FPV goggles it's VERY noticeable.

We tried to add that to a review last fall of the P3A and P3P but when we tried to compare the video link near and far between the two Phantoms there was no difference in video quality or reception. We concluded at that time that the extra bandwidth was only in best case situations and more directed for YouTube live view sessions. We therefore left that feature out of the review.

We tried the video with a 5" phone and an iPad mini, but nothing larger.

Reactions: phantom1972
On my iPad Air it is as visible clear as day. There is a bunch of pixelation & artifacts on the advanced especially when moving the camera up or down or panning ... On the p3pro it's clear like you would expect.

Reactions: phantom1972
Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro

That's advanced .. Looks like garbage. I have both the pro and advanced and actually use my advanced more. But the quality of the live feed is 100% noticeably different when you have both to compare to.

That's advanced .. Looks like garbage. I have both the pro and advanced and actually use my advanced more. But the quality of the live feed is 100% noticeably different when you have both to compare to.

Thanks for the link and I had no idea there was that difference, but if you don't mind me asking? Why do you have both and why do you use the Advanced more? Seems really strange to me

I just had a look at our cached footage of the Standard, the Advanced and the Professional. All are on my phone (saved). We may have had a good day of testing because all 3 look very similar and there file sizes are close. Not sure if the DJI Go cache app is the best to sample these.

Either way, DJI included the boosted video signal in the Phantom 3 Professional. Normally, just like your home internet connection, when the speeds increase you get faster downloads (less lag) and less choppy video. I would assume this should be the case with the Phantom Professional, however, in our comparison test last fall we didn't see an immediate noticeable difference so we did like everyone else who has reviewed these birds and only noted the major observable differences. Perhaps we didn't notice a difference because we had great, no interference connections with all 3 and used small screen devices. Has anyone done a video review comparison of this exact topic that you're aware of? If not, I may have to do a vid on the topic and will have to get my hands on a much larger screen.

P4 is now coming, should I regret that I bought P3 long back? :)

P4 is now coming, should I regret that I bought P3 long back? :)

I think you have to buy the Phantom models right when they become available to get your full enjoyment (and headaches) out of them... at least for a year, before you upgrade to the next new model. This way, you'll never have a regret.

For myself, I like to buy the models after they have been out for a few months and some of the bugs have been addressed by firmware and hardware enhancements. So for me, I purchased my new Phantoms at the mid cycle point and will more than likely do the same when the Phantom 4 generation comes out.

The only thing I don't like each time a new Phantom model is introduced is that it means new battery purchases.

Thanks for the link and I had no idea there was that difference, but if you don't mind me asking? Why do you have both and why do you use the Advanced more? Seems really strange to me

Got a friends and family deal that I couldn't pass up, so now I use the advanced for all my fun stuff / cottage / waterspouts / etc so if it crashes I feel less upset than if it was the pro. And I use the pro for anything work related / etc.
might sell the pro though and get the new one if there is one in a few weeks lol

I just had a look at our cached footage of the Standard, the Advanced and the Professional. All are on my phone (saved). We may have had a good day of testing because all 3 look very similar and there file sizes are close. Not sure if the DJI Go cache app is the best to sample these.

Either way, DJI included the boosted video signal in the Phantom 3 Professional. Normally, just like your home internet connection, when the speeds increase you get faster downloads (less lag) and less choppy video. I would assume this should be the case with the Phantom Professional, however, in our comparison test last fall we didn't see an immediate noticeable difference so we did like everyone else who has reviewed these birds and only noted the major observable differences. Perhaps we didn't notice a difference because we had great, no interference connections with all 3 and used small screen devices. Has anyone done a video review comparison of this exact topic that you're aware of? If not, I may have to do a vid on the topic and will have to get my hands on a much larger screen.

Just do it with an iPad Air. You can't miss it. Don't get me wrong it's not unbearable .. But the pro is say 9/10 live feed and the advanced is like 7/10 (just examples)

Prices of P3P have crashed to $799.

How do I convince myself that I need to buy one more?

can you show a link for $799... I know a few people that would buy at that price.... if true that the P4 is going to be $1700... I might pick up a spare P3P when they bottom out... would be real cool to have two P3P up in the air at the same time using the airspace option of Autopilot... ;-)

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I had seen these prices on Buydig.com but now prices went up to 999. I am relieved haha

I like my P3P but remember, people have been doing broadcast TV for years with hardware less capable than this (and less capable than the average cell phone, but lets not go there).

Keep playing with it, push your technique and the drone and upgrade when the P whatever comes out next. For video work, your post processing technique is just as important as the camera - if you don't have or use a high level editor, get it and get good at it. That should take up all of your available time.
Hi Guys
Which editing prog do you recommend??

Odd... if not for the 4K camera for video, I can't figure out why you'd want one since you say you have a P3A. Remember that the P3A has the same camera sensor as the P3P therefore picture taking is identical. It is only the video of the P3P that has a higher resolution than the P3A. However, if you were a video photographer you'd never pick the P3P for your work as the bit rate is low and the lens is fixed. You'd certainly buy something much more pro for that purpose.
They dont share the same sensor, p3p is sony exmor R while p3a is panasonic.

I have both and honestly my favorite thing about the p3p vs my p3A is how clear the live feed is on my iPad. If I didn't have both I'm going to almost guarantee that I wouldn't notice the difference though. I think you are more than perfect with a p3A it's actually my go to bird over my pro strangely enough lol

Since the video feed back to your device is only 720p, I wouldn't think the clarity would be different between the P and A. But you really find it is?

I have a P3P, and think it's probably overkill. With a high resolution monitor (higher than 1080p, but not full 4K -- very common), and the right hardware and video player software, I get sharper images at 4K. But down converting a 4K image to an intermediate size is computationally intensive, and with some hardware/software combinations can look HORRIBLE. I'm kind of on the fence. I have a Lenovo Laptop with a 3100 x 1800 resolution display. It does real good with the 4K input. But I've used some video player software that BOMBS.

And don't think you're going to feed a 4K signal into a 1080p resolution monitor equipped PC. If the hardware can handle it, it's tricky averaging pixel neighborhoods to get to a 1080p image. You're almost surely better off feeding it 1080p to begin with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers