Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an AMA member. I joined last year when I got into this hobby... I'm pretty sure all that coverage we get would mostly evaporate anywhere outside an AMA field.
AMA Insurance is not limited to just AMA flying sites.

Huh, good to know. Then maybe if I fly like I always do- responsibly- I'll have the coverage my dollars are paying to have. Cool beans.

It's easiest if you fly at AMA fields since you're then able to follow AMA rules. When not flying at an AMA field, you must follow all AMA rules. And, almost all Phantom pilots are breaking at least one of them. It's really not practical. I'm just being honest here :)

AMA insurance is supplemental.
IOW: Any other insurance you might have that would cover you for a mishap that occurs while flying (within the AMA safety code) would be used first, then AMA insurance would come into play if needed, to cover you up to the different limits it provides for different mishaps.

But you need to be in compliance with the following AMA safety code to have the AMA insurance activate ...

Academy of Model Aeronautics National Model Aircraft Safety Code Effective January 1, 2014

A. GENERAL:
A model aircraft is a non-human-carrying aircraft capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere.
It may not exceed limitations of this code and is intended exclusively for sport, recreation, education and/or competition.
All model flights must be conducted in accordance with this safety code and any additional rules specific to the flying site.

1. Model aircraft will not be flown: (a) In a careless or reckless manner.
(b) At a location where model aircraft activities are prohibited.

2. Model aircraft pilots will:
(a) Yield the right of way to all human-carrying aircraft.
(b) See and avoid all aircraft and a spotter must be used when appropriate. (AMA Document #540-D.)
(c) Not fly higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.
(d) Not interfere with operations and traffic patterns at any airport, heliport or seaplane base except where there is a mixed use agreement.
(e) Not exceed a takeoff weight, including fuel, of 55 pounds unless in compliance with the AMA Large Model Airplane program. (AMA Document 520-A.)
(f) Ensure the aircraft is identified with the name and address or AMA number of the owner on the inside or affixed to the outside of the model aircraft. (This does not apply to model aircraft flown indoors.)
(g) Not operate aircraft with metal-blade propellers or with gaseous boosts except for helicopters operated under the provisions of AMA Document #555.
(h) Not operate model aircraft while under the influence of alcohol or while using any drug that could adversely affect the pilot’s ability to safely control the model.
(i) Not operate model aircraft carrying pyrotechnic devices that explode or burn, or any device which propels a projectile or drops any object that creates a hazard to persons or property. Exceptions: x Free Flight fuses or devices that burn producing smoke and are securely attached to the model aircraft during flight. x Rocket motors (using solid propellant) up to a G-series size may be used provided they remain attached to the model during flight. Model rockets may be flown in accordance with the National Model Rocketry Safety Code but may not be launched from model aircraft. x Officially designated AMA Air Show Teams (AST) are authorized to use devices and practices as defined within the Team AMA Program Document. (AMA Document #718.)
(j) Not operate a turbine-powered aircraft, unless in compliance with the AMA turbine regulations. (AMA Document #510-A.)

3. Model aircraft will not be flown in AMA sanctioned events, air shows or model demonstrations unless:
(a) The aircraft, control system and pilot skills have successfully demonstrated all maneuvers intended or anticipated prior to the specific event.
(b) An inexperienced pilot is assisted by an experienced pilot. 4. When and where required by rule, helmets must be properly worn and fastened. They must be OSHA, DOT, ANSI, SNELL or NOCSAE approved or comply with comparable standards.

B. RADIO CONTROL (RC):
1. All pilots shall avoid flying directly over unprotected people, vessels, vehicles or structures and shall avoid endangerment of life and property of others.
2. A successful radio equipment ground-range check in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations will be completed before the first flight of a new or repaired model aircraft.
3. At all flying sites a safety line(s) must be established in front of which all flying takes place. (AMA Document #706.)
(a) Only personnel associated with flying the model aircraft are allowed at or in front of the safety line.
(b) At air shows or demonstrations, a straight safety line must be established.
(c) An area away from the safety line must be maintained for spectators.
(d) Intentional flying behind the safety line is prohibited.

4. RC model aircraft must use the radio-control frequencies currently allowed by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Only individuals properly licensed by the FCC are authorized to operate equipment on Amateur Band frequencies.

5. RC model aircraft will not knowingly operate within three (3) miles of any pre-existing flying site without a frequency-management agreement. (AMA Documents #922 and #923.)

6. With the exception of events flown under official AMA Competition Regulations, excluding takeoff and landing, no powered model may be flown outdoors closer than 25 feet to any individual, except for the pilot and the pilot's helper(s) located at the flightline.

7. Under no circumstances may a pilot or other person touch an outdoor model aircraft in flight while it is still under power, except to divert it from striking an individual.

8. RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations.

9. The pilot of an RC model aircraft shall:
(a) Maintain control during the entire flight, maintaining visual contact without enhancement other than by corrective lenses prescribed for the pilot.
(b) Fly using the assistance of a camera or First-Person View (FPV) only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #550.
(c) Fly using the assistance of autopilot or stabilization system only in accordance with the procedures outlined in AMA Document #560.

For additional info see: https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/memanual.pdf

I am AMA as well and I registered. I look at it as having to register your car or motorcycle, just a different agency. Besides that it will act as a lost and found agency! The info they asked for is already online in many forms.

I am an AMA member & what they would like is for members to be able to use their AMA membership number as their FAA registration ID. I'd be cool with that.

I believe I recall reading the fine for getting caught operating without being registered is something like $27,000 & potential jail time. As much as I don't like the forced registration, not facing those penalties might be considered a benefit.

I just don't see a benefit to registering.

Reactions: Flyer91
I believe I recall reading the fine for getting caught operating without being registered is something like $27,000 & potential jail time. As much as I don't like the forced registration, not facing those penalties might be considered a benefit.
That's in the FAA's FAQ.

"Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years."

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Point well made. My guess, just an opinion mind you, is that we will eventually receive some direct email marketing concerning drones, accessories and the like, along with a lot more unwanted spam. This assumes the database becomes available to the public or is perhaps hacked by someone. Hopefully, that's the worse that could happen. I can't imagine too much worse than that or least I don't want too...:eek:
I am not sure but is this what you were looking for to verify you were registered? FAA Registry - Aircraft - Make / Model Inquiry

Most of us have already registered. Any reason for not getting it registered?
Yes, If you don't live in the US and I'm a Citizen...you CAN NOT Reg. Why?, Because the web site block you. You ask for advise and never get a response from the FAA. Typical of a well planned site.
This is total BS, but what would you expect from the Obama run government.

I think registering with the FAA is going to help people take more responsibility for their flying habbits. Even before this I had labled my phone # on my craft in case it caused damage or was lost. I've heard people site many reasons (excuses) why they won't do it. I'm sure they are the same people who fly over the national parks or impeed wildfires. To me it just seems like the FAA just wants some accountability for what we do.

I already fly responsibly... and I joined the AMA early on to demonstrate this commitment to do so since community-based organizations were specifically carved out by Congress to be exempted to these FAA rules and regs in the FMRA of 2012 section 336 (a)(2).

I will register at the deadline unless the AMA legal challenge is able to temporarily postpone or fully halt this FAA overreach... I don't need a $5 waived fee from the government... I can afford it, I fly an aircraft that cost > $1,000.

Stay informed.

Drone Law Journal

I registered, took me a few days. I had to get a form notarized and had to send in form 8050-1, Affidavit of ownership - Form 8050-88, Statement in Support, along with my Article of Organization and my receipt from where I purchased my Phantom 3 Professional. All this because I am registering my drone in the name of an LLC. I spent over 30 minutes on hold with the FAA, but the individual that assisted me was very patient and helped me out tremendously!

Trying to do things the "RIGHT" way is exhausting sometimes! Still waiting on my 333 Exemption, which I might find out this summer due to all the backlog. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I also joined the AMA back in November.

In the meantime, I now have my pink copy of my form 8050-1 that will prove that I have registered my aircraft.

Thread closed. Posted in the wrong section and there are many threads on this topic already. Please search before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl