Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
we will eventually receive some direct email marketing concerning drones, accessories and the like, along with a lot more unwanted spam
Get a gmail account. Their spam filtering is second to none.

Get a gmail account. Their spam filtering is second to none.

That's what I used but some spam always get through on occasion, not much though...

Sure, it's not perfect. But, it's certainly manageable.

A potential spam problem is nothing to worry about. If what you're describing really does happen, people will mark those emails as spam and those senders will be blacklisted. It's a problem that'll quickly resolve itself.

Sure, it's not perfect. But, it's certainly manageable.

A potential spam problem is nothing to worry about. If what you're describing really does happen, people will mark those emails as spam and those senders will be blacklisted. It's a problem that'll quickly resolve itself.

Yes, one of the pleasures of outing spammers on gmail. Burn Spammer Burn...lol

I like spam. I don't have any friends so spam makes me feel 'popular'

I just don't see a benefit to registering.

If an accident happens ... let's say you crash into a car. The cops are called. Of course you are responsible for the car damage. Now flying as an unregistered drone operator you are now subject to additional fines. I'd rather be registered.

Reactions: Jahbass
If an accident happens ... let's say you crash into a car. The cops are called. Of course you are responsible for the car damage. Now flying as an unregistered drone operator you are now subject to additional fines. I'd rather be registered.
Or, we can spin that one the other way. Another pilot crashes their drone into your family member, hospitalizes them, they do not come to claim their drone, and it's not registered.

Reactions: Jahbass
At this point it doesn't matter if you support the new LAW or not. Is it really worth the (unlikely) possibility of getting caught and paying a $250,000 fine and maybe several years in jail? Federal jail. Not registering also just adds another black mark against the hobby.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The registration fee is waived if u do it in the first month and the fine for an unregistered unmarked aircraft is very steep even for a first offense I would reccomend doing so

I don't think most folks are AMA members, ..... Let's be honest -- there really isn't much benefit for Phantom owners.
Really? Since we're being honest:
  • $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for AMA members
  • $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for AMA members
  • $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for AMA members
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for AMA members
I don't think this "isn't much benefit."

And if you think every Home Owners policy will cover all of it, think again.
YMMV

Registered mine.

Side note; I added two antennae to my foil hat and wired them to my remote, getting 10 miles out of my phantom now.
Did you use the Windsurfer design? I always wondered if that would work as a remote antenna.

I agree, I highly doubt the AMA is going to change the minds of the FAA. I'm sure the FAA desires to have one database of information for simplicity, able to update everyone at a moments notice when rules change over the next few years.

What I'd like to know is who has access to the database? What happens when the database is leaked? You know that will happen. I bet the Chinese are working on that right now, hacking into the database. LOL

Does the local police dept have direct access to the database?

How does the FAA get involved if my bird is lost (such as a battery failure, falling in some guys back yard). Will the FAA only be involved if there are claimed damages? Will the public call their local police dept, or FAA? I'm not paranoid, I would just like to know what the usage process is, since I think I have the right to know, given they work for the public.

If a bad guy wants to do something illegal, he's not going to register his craft. Nothing forces him to register it. It's only the good guys like us that will be impacted if lets say the craft falls from the sky and causes a car crash, or hits and injures a person, etc. Only the responsible guys are liable, the bad guys won't be.

Also, who can demand to see my registration # on the craft? I would assume the local police and any field FAA personnel (I've never seen a field FAA guy, what do they look like?). I assume I'm under no obligation to prove to a private citizen that I'm registered, right? Other than maybe say, yeah I'm registered. I'm not showing my numbers to anyone that I don't have to. If the police don't have direct access, they really can't match up a number with a pilot, on the spot. So there's no need to worry about anyone challenging you when you're flying, assuming of course the police don't have direct access, which I really doubt they will.
The answer to your question lies here:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/regulations_policies/media/FAA_UAS-PO_LEA_Guidance.pdf

• $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for AMA members
Yep. It really sounds awesome, doesn't it? Don't forget to read the fine print on that coverage ;)

I don't think this "isn't much benefit."

And if you think every Home Owners policy will cover all of it, think again.
YMMV
I'm an AMA member. I joined last year when I got into this hobby. I have terrific isolated places to fly and an AMA field super close to me, however I don't like the location of the filed because of transients that call the area home and plus I don't actually enjoy flying with anyone. I'm a flying loner, lol. I'm pretty sure all that coverage we get would mostly evaporate anywhere outside an AMA field. I'm not really counting on it if I ever have a problem anywhere other than approved AMA filed. I could be wrong, but that's my thought. There's gonna be lawyers going at this interim rule and they'll say this interim rule side stepped an actual law. It's these types of challenges that I DO feel good about my AMA dollars helping to fund. It should be interesting and I think the AMA has a good shot at making a dent in this one. I'm waiting. There's certainly no rush being an AMA member. I'm perfectly capable of whipping out my AMA card for anyone, including LE, to show that I'm indeed registered with them and my bird shows it as well. I'm sure that would get the job done fine. If it comes down to it, I'll register with the FAA. Simple as that.

Reactions: ScatSpeak
Did you use the Windsurfer design? I always wondered if that would work as a remote antenna.
Naah, two of those little clip-on antenna, one on each ear.

Yep. It really sounds awesome, doesn't it? Don't forget to read the fine print on that coverage ;)
ALL insurance policies have fine print that should be read. But that doesn't make the AMA coverage not "much benefit." And yes, I've read the coverage.

Reactions: ScatSpeak
ALL insurance policies have fine print that should be read. But that doesn't make the AMA coverage not "much benefit." And yes, I've read the coverage.
The coverage is pretty much useless when not flying in an AMA field. There's no need to get upset. Many people get tricked into getting an AMA membership for the useless insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20