Registration with Aviation Authority

Reaction score
Hey guys! Newbie P3A owner just entered the world of quad RC and loving it! I've got a question if anyone can help. I'm considering registering my quad with our local aviation authority. They require the quad's serial number and my identification, so obviously it links the device to me. My question is, when they have my serial number, does that give them the ability to start tracking my device? Or is it just so they can identify the device in case there's a crash/incident? Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

We would have no idea what any one government does with the data. I doubt it is used for tracking as that would require sophisticated software and manpower so it is highly unlikely. I would assume it is used in the event of an incident and the number is recovered.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

We would have no idea what any one government does with the data. I doubt it is used for tracking as that would require sophisticated software and manpower so it is highly unlikely. I would assume it is used in the event of an incident and the number is recovered.
Hi TJ! Thanks a million, glad to be here! It's a fantastic forum! Wish I had stumbled upon it a little earlier .. maybe before I bought my P3A .. so many good offers on classifieds! And also the p4 is coming soon! With possible avoidance sensors..liDar would be the real kicker though! Regarding the authorities, yeah that was what was on my mind, they'd need some advanced equipment and also man power to be constantly tracking GPS devices, so I might just go ahead and register one of these days, make it all above board! Thanks again for your reply!

TJ .. when I travel to the USA .. and if I'm bringing my quad along with me, does it need to have been registered with the FAA? Can a Non-American resident register their drone with the FAA? Please advise. Thanks!

TJ .. when I travel to the USA .. and if I'm bringing my quad along with me, does it need to have been registered with the FAA? Can a Non-American resident register their drone with the FAA? Please advise. Thanks!
Most definitely it has to be registered. I am not sure of what progress has been made but as far as I know non-us citizens have to paper file. That may have changed as they said eventually you would get online support.

This from the FAA website - UAS Registration Q&A

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

Most definitely it has to be registered. I am not sure of what progress has been made but as far as I know non-us citizens have to paper file. That may have changed as they said eventually you would get online support.

This from the FAA website - UAS Registration Q&A

Q11. Are non-U.S. citizens visiting the United States on vacation or for drone competitions required to register?

A. Everyone, including foreign nationals and tourists, who operate a UAS for hobby or recreational purposes outdoors in the U.S. must use the FAA's online registration system. These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.
Thanks TJ, I'll go ahead and register just for the sake of it .. it costs next to nothing anyway! Thanks!

I'm a bit confused about Q.11 ..
Because this is the start of the doc;

Who must register a UAS?

The owner must be:

13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)

A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

I'm neither a US citizen or a PR .. I'd only be a tourist .. I think I'll email them.

I'm a bit confused about Q.11 ..
Because this is the start of the doc;

Who must register a UAS?

The owner must be:

13 years of age or older. (If the owner is less than 13 years of age, a person 13 years of age or older must register the small unmanned aircraft.)

A U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident.

I'm neither a US citizen or a PR .. I'd only be a tourist .. I think I'll email them.
This is key - These non-U.S. citizens or non-permanent U.S. residents will receive the same registration certificate as U.S. Citizens or permanent U.S. residents. However, this certificate will function as a "recognition of ownership" document. This document is required by the Department of Transportation for foreign nationals to operate legally in the US.

Thanks a lot for elaborating further TJ! .. yeah That's a lot clearer now .. I've just emailed the UAS section of the FAA .. hopefully they get back to me soon, because when I tried to select the "Register" option, it doesn't allow the page to be opened outside of the US. thanks again man!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20