Registration Number on Drone? Yes or No

Reaction score
So with the whole FAA registration thing up in the air, I'm asking this as a hobbyist flyer. Thoughts on putting your number on your drone? I am registered. But if I'm not required presently, what's the reason for a decal or sticker on the drone? Not looking to get flamed. Just curious what others in the hobby think.

Left mine on. Probably will regardless of necessity. Call me lazy I guess.

One day you may lose your Phantom, perhaps through no fault of your own. If someone should find it, how will they contact you to return it if it has no identifying information on it, such as your telephone number, or e-dress, or registration number?

Reactions: cfd701 and CoopCK
I still keep my registration on the aircraft, just in case a law enforcement agent come to me while I am flying my bird and ask about the registration. Just in case.

Reactions: N017RW
I'd hang on to it. Jonathan Ruppecht indicated that a sUAS working group is looking towards a new law that would mandate registration of hobby aircraft.

And I'd agree that it may be helpful for a recovery situation.

Drone Attorney and Legal Assistance -

I'm on his mailing list.

SB

I did some more digging on this topic yesterday and found this thread by John Taylor over at RC Groups that has an update on the status of his case. According to what he said there, the FAA registration is still required until at least July 5th. I wasn't able to find other sources that confirmed that information. All other reputable news sources I came across are saying the registration is no longer required right now.

The general public has no access to the crafts registration number information in the case of lost n found.

Same with license plates. Just go to the authorities, problem solved!

Same with license plates. Just go to the authorities, problem solved!

If you are so sure it's solved why not try to get that info yourself from your local PD.

If I was involved in an accident, and the person fled, and I had license plate, after investigation that info would become available to me and my insurance company. Problem solved.

If I found a drone and turned it over to authorities they would either dispose of it properly or instruct me how to.
Thus, problem solved for me.

If I was involved in an accident, and the person fled, and I had license plate, after investigation that info would become available to me and my insurance company. Problem solved.

If I found a drone and turned it over to authorities they would either dispose of it properly or instruct me how to.
Thus, problem solved for me.

That was a hit and run accident that you were involved in where you were entitled to that info. But don't expect the PD to supply a private citizen with info on who owns a vehicle with a license number you supply and the same goes for a UAV registration number someone may have lost.

I don't wish to argue with you. It seems you're prone to such.

I made my point clear and don't see the need to anything.

I've run my two laps around this thread.

Cheers

I have a P3P, as well as an old P2 Non-Vision, and I registered both with an N Number. I have a 333 but not the Part 107 yet, but planning on making money with my P3P when I do. The form to fill out was a little long, but for $10 it was worth it. Why not...? And if you're in a situation that you'll be afraid to have someone find out who you are, then you shouldn't be flying in the first place...

In saying that, I have 4 racing drones that I still have my $5 generic registration sticker on...

We have Commercial Registations (N# and nonN#, and non N# is the easiest way to go by FAR. Selling an N# aircraft is a pain in the tail fin) as well as a single Hobby Reg # that are on all non-Commercial aircraft. Even though the hobby registration is currently in limbo (and supposedly about to lapse) I have always felt like once the Taylor case was won by him, the FAA would come back around to this from a different avenue and do it the correct way.

The US Congress pretty much screwed the pooch when they created the Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 . Congress was short sighted and merely had a knee-jerk reaction to appease the deep pockets of the lobbyists. I figured the next time around they would try to correct some of their mistakes (aka hobbyists being exempt from new laws etc) and probably try to do so to an extreme degree. Only time will tell for sure.

Here's a quote from a good friend and fellow UAS Professional Ken Simpson:

"My Note For Today:

Keep Your Drone FAA Registration Number, DO NOT Close it Out....You Maybe Sorry if you Do...

Jun 27, 2017

The House and Senate are proposing legislation for the FAA which includes language on our model aviation operations.

"

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
We have Commercial Registations (N# and nonN#, and non N# is the easiest way to go by FAR. Selling an N# aircraft is a pain in the tail fin) as well as a single Hobby Reg # that are on all non-Commercial aircraft. Even though the hobby registration is currently in limbo (and supposedly about to lapse) I have always felt like once the Taylor case was won by him, the FAA would come back around to this from a different avenue and do it the correct way.

The US Congress pretty much screwed the pooch when they created the Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 . Congress was short sighted and merely had a knee-jerk reaction to appease the deep pockets of the lobbyists. I figured the next time around they would try to correct some of their mistakes (aka hobbyists being exempt from new laws etc) and probably try to do so to an extreme degree. Only time will tell for sure.

Here's a quote from a good friend and fellow UAS Professional Ken Simpson:

"My Note For Today:

Keep Your Drone FAA Registration Number, DO NOT Close it Out....You Maybe Sorry if you Do...

Jun 27, 2017

The House and Senate are proposing legislation for the FAA which includes language on our model aviation operations.

"

Thanks for posting.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub