Register my drone?

Reaction score
I'm heading to the states from Canada this week. Was planning to bring my p3p. Am I supposed to register it with faa?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm heading to the states from Canada this week. Was planning to bring my p3p. Am I supposed to register it with faa?
The FAA can't really get their act together for foreigners.
The registration site will only open if you have a US web address and there may be problems using non-US credit cards.
Anyway, this is from their FAQ:
  1. I'm a foreign national and want to fly my UAS in the U.S. on vacation. Do I have to register before flying?
    If you are a foreign national and you are not eligible to register your sUAS in the United States there are two ways for you to operate. If you want to operate your UAS exclusively as model aircraft you must complete the steps in the web-based registration process and obtain a "recognition of ownership." This recognition of ownership is required by the Department of Transportation to operate a model aircraft in the United States. Alternatively, if you want to operate your UAS as a non-model aircraft you must register your UAS in the country in which you are eligible to register and obtain operating authority from the Department of Transportation.

NOTE: at this time, the FAA's online registration website can only be accessed from a computer located in the United States or its territories or possessions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes. <scam link removed>
**Moderator edit**
Beware of fake registration help companies that want to charge you for helping.
The actual registration is as easy as and costs $5

This is hidden at the bottom of the scam site's FAQ:
Q27. Does XYZ.com work on behalf or are we affiliated with the FAA?
A. No. XYZ.com is an independent site that is in no way affiliated with the FAA or the US Government. We are not the FAA's contract drone registration site. XYZ.com was created to help simplify the FAA's drone registration process and break through the clutter of what is required to register. We work on behalf of our clients to quickly obtain a drone registration and provide you with a one stop shop for addressing questions you may have. We charge a premium for this service and are here to assist you as best as possible.

Q28. Do I have to use XYZ.com to register my drone?
A. No. You can use the FAA registration site directly at https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/ if you are not interested in XYZ.com services. Clients use our services to help register their drone because of our expert knowledge, quick response to your questions, and our simplified process. You are not required to use us, it is your decision what method you choose to go about registering your drone. Our service simply provides you a channel for help in doing so.

Q29. Why should I use your service at XYZ.com instead of going to the FAA directly to register my drone?
A. You have no obligation to use our services. Clients prefer to use our services because we offer a quick solution for both labeling your drone and assistance with obtaining a registration number. Registration is just the beginning. Depending on which option you choose at checkout, our service fee may include us registering for you, answering pre/post-registration questions, providing you with future drone regulation updates, and labels/stickers for your drone. One of the biggest benefits is that we always have representatives standing by to assist you with questions such as which drones meet the FAA's threshold for registration, assistance on what to do if you are a business that needs to register, and many others to name a few. Our representatives respond incredibly fast to your questions, within hours and sometimes even minutes, offering you assistance with the process.

Q30. I heard that FAA drone registration costs $5, why are you charging $24.99 for your services?
A. Again, we are not the FAA or affiliated with the U.S. Government whatsoever. It is your choice how you go about registering and becoming compliant with the FAA's new UAS or drone policies. We are a service based business, and there is a cost associated with us assisting you in the various matters regarding the new FAA guidance regarding drones. Our service fee starts at $24.99, If you are looking for the $5 registration fee where you don't get additional services or labels, you should try the FAA.gov website directly, as they have a separate website dedicated strictly to drone registrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Canada and the way I got my FAA number was first download a VPN on my tablet (it hides your IP, and changes your locate to the country of your choosing, need to choose USA). Then go onto the faa website and register. I didn't have a problem using Canadian credit card. Hope it helps.

Sent from my Leap using PhantomPilots mobile app

I dragged my P3 with me on flights and busses through the border quite a few times with zero questions asked. This was between Feb and June of this year, so i'm guessing it's still the same. If you're flying, just make sure to pack your batteries in your carry on, preferably in a lipo bag.

In my opinion drone registration is primarily to help stop this kind of video from being published. Registering is a mistake. To register means helping hidden things stay hidden by assisting in apprehending you and trying to shut you down.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31