Regarding the Phantom 2 vision (not plus)

Reaction score
The cost of a replacement 3 axis gimble for my Vision plus is $670.00 from Amazon. Amazon has a new P2 vision on sale for $799.00. The P2 vision only has a single axis gimble, but it supports all the data from the vision app. I looked for how much it would cost to replace the single axis system in case of a crash and could not find a replacement listed. Does that mean that unlike the "plus" they don't break as often? They look a lot sturdier in the photos. I am not a professional photographer, just a hobbyist having fun. So having the 3 axis is not a necessity. Anyone have experience with the P2 vision, good or bad?
If I go this way it will give me 3 battery,s and 2 chargers, but still with a P2 plus with no camera.
Ah, decisions....... :roll:

Thanks

The Vision camera system fairs better in a crash as it is beefier & less complex. It can still be broken, and the Vision camera was $499 the last time I checked. While the Vision does have a "single axis gimbal," it is driven by a standard RC servo and does not appear to be very fast or precise as far as stabilization goes. It is more for tilt than stabilization, and you cannot tilt the camera straight down. Although the cameras are essentially identical internally, the lack of a stabilized gimbal on the standard Vision produces horribly inferior video. Consider that carefully when making your selection. Below is a side-by-side video comparison of the Vision vs. Vision+:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUQrLe94Ms[/youtube]

Dirty Bird said:
The Vision camera system fairs better in a crash as it is beefier & less complex. It can still be broken, and the Vision camera was $499 the last time I checked. While the Vision does have a "single axis gimbal," it is driven by a standard RC servo and does not appear to be very fast or precise as far as stabilization goes. It is more for tilt than stabilization, and you cannot tilt the camera straight down. Although the cameras are essentially identical internally, the lack of a stabilized gimbal on the standard Vision produces horribly inferior video. Consider that carefully when making your selection. Below is a side-by-side video comparison of the Vision vs. Vision+:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUQrLe94Ms[/youtube]

And then... factor in the price of a P2V combined with a RotorPixel gimbal. A bit more expensive, and only a 2 axis, rather than a 3 axis... But... You can bounce it off a tree a bunch of times that would totally cripple a P2V+. \

They're both great options... It just depends on your needs, how many chances you take and your wallet... :D

-slinger

:D Go for the Vision Plus if you want good video and range.
Go for the Vision if you are prone to crashing a very easy to fly quadcopter.
You could wait and see the next best option, or start having fun now.

Wow "dirty bird", you sure had the right video to make the case. I guess I did not appreciate how hard my gimble was working before I wrecked it. Thank you for taking the time to send this. It makes my decision a bit easier.

Glad I could help. The Helipal side-by-side comparison demonstrates perfectly the difference a gimbal can make. One other thing Fplvert touched on is, out of the box, the Vision+ should deliver at least twice the range of the standard Vision. The Vision uses the older RE-500 Wi-Fi Extender, whereas the Vision+ uses the more powerful RE-700 model. From what I have read, the standard Vision is getting 1000-1500' out-of-the-box. Many Vision+ owners are getting 3000'+, with many of us getting quite a bit more. I have been as far as 6851' with the aircraft totally stock!

Hotrod said:
Wow "dirty bird", you sure had the right video to make the case. I guess I did not appreciate how hard my gimble was working before I wrecked it. Thank you for taking the time to send this. It makes my decision a bit easier.

Hi mate, I had a similar problem until yesterday.

I was trying to make a decision for a week, if I need a Vision or Vision+. Just when I finally made a decision with this almost scientific reasoning behind it (cost effectiveness, my use) viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25162&start=60#p251486 I thought I would get Vision +... I decided to go for Vision and the main reason is gimbal.

I just know that every time I would fly it, I would be scared as hell to do something a bit more risky or fly quickly and low, just like I love with my small Hubsan...
Sure, if I crash I may as well damage this camera as well, but it is much less likely and the whole Vision costs almost as much as the Vision + gimbal itself!

Also, here are my other reasons:

- I love flying quickly and low and the FPV view where (when watching) video, you can see the bird's movement and flight. With gimbal you don't see the copter's responsiveness and sense of speed as much, from what it seems on youtube,

- Vision+ is meant for stable, almost proffessional like camera shots, it was designed that way and is meant to fly that way, I suppose? Vision in my view is for fun and fun is what I am after, and some decent video and camera shots as well! I bet that if shakiness will be too tough to handle, I can post process it with software to remove shakiness without any problems!

- Vision will probably have significantly more battery life - 100 grams lighter, gimbal not drinking juice from the battery while in flight. It will be quite important for me, because I intend to use it heavily with the ground station for distances higher than the official, unmodified app allows.

This is just my opinion and I have my own individual needs.

Mine has already been dispatched, can't wait!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1