Refurbished V3 Do Exist

Reaction score
So I finally received some communication from DJI Tech Support about my V3 ESC/Motor drop out the sky warranty claim. They called me. I knew before hand if they did call me it wasn't going to be 100% good news, and it wasn't. They were very descriptive in their explanation to what all they came up with. That put me in the right mind frame so I never blew up or cussed a MF'r out. I actually didn't even think about it, and that is extremely unusual for me. So I listened to what the man had to say, and when he finished, I didn't have a lot to say because I was content with what he said. Now I wasn't speechless, so don't get me wrong. Anyway, he basically told me that the ESC's I had even though they didn't show v2.1 on them, they were and he told me how to tell which was by a Yellow mark. He said there was nothing else that would have explained why the crash happened as it did. So at this point in my mind it tell s me that this had to be a fault of mine and it must have been due to a broken motor wire.

He then said he didn't want to leave me in this position and said he wanted to help get me back in the air again. He took another quick look at my quad and agreed with me that there was not one part worth using again. So to jump ahead in the story to the very end, he said he would send me a quad that would be better then what I would pull out new from a box. All the most recent parts, basically going to even do some stuff that hasn't made it to the production line yet. And then test fly it before shipping it to me. I agreed to the price and now I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm the owner of a V3 Refurb...

flyNfrank said:
So I finally received some communication from DJI Tech Support about my V3 ESC/Motor drop out the sky warranty claim. They called me. I knew before hand if they did call me it wasn't going to be 100% good news, and it wasn't. They were very descriptive in their explanation to what all they came up with. That put me in the right mind frame so I never blew up or cussed a MF'r out. I actually didn't even think about it, and that is extremely unusual for me. So I listened to what the man had to say, and when he finished, I didn't have a lot to say because I was content with what he said. Now I wasn't speechless, so don't get me wrong. Anyway, he basically told me that the ESC's I had even though they didn't show v2.1 on them, they were and he told me how to tell which was by a Yellow mark. He said there was nothing else that would have explained why the crash happened as it did. So at this point in my mind it tell s me that this had to be a fault of mine and it must have been due to a broken motor wire.

He then said he didn't want to leave me in this position and said he wanted to help get me back in the air again. He took another quick look at my quad and agreed with me that there was not one part worth using again. So to jump ahead in the story to the very end, he said he would send me a quad that would be better then what I would pull out new from a box. All the most recent parts, basically going to even do some stuff that hasn't made it to the production line yet. And then test fly it before shipping it to me. I agreed to the price and now I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm the owner of a V3 Refurb...

As suspected, when a drone is sent in for repair, if it can't be repaired, it's good bits are re-used to make working drones in that country for that specific repair centre. Some have theorised a conspiracy that these parts then get shipped back to China and put on the production line again (the camera file number conspiracy thread). To re-condition returned drones, or extract good parts from failed drones, is an absolutely fine thing to do as long as the testing at the repair centre is sufficient to truly ascertain a good part from a bad one.

I'm sure they get all the returns per the region as well. As in take the guy that returns his vPlus because the camera doesn't sit level when not powered. Or returned everything because he couldn't get the range extender to bind.

Anyway, I was completely sold on the idea of the refurb when I was told it would be better then what comes off the production line. I said I had just two request. I first explained to him since firmware version v3.0 I had never had a vPlus that would display the 640x480 30fps past 30ft. After asking me what I used to view the display with, he explained to me that the reason was that the software was meant to be used with a 4"- 5" inch display. He went into a full detail explanation about it, and then said he would check to see if there was anything he could do to improve it and he would apply it before sending it to me. I then asked for the 2nd request which was to send me the quad next day air. He said that wouldn't probably happen due to a shippers contract they have with UPS and FedEx. But that he would see if there was any other quicker option other then regular shipping. Otherwise it's 4 day shipping between us.

Glad to hear you will be back into the air soon. Nothing wrong with refurbished. Normally they are put together pretty well.

flyNfrank said:
I'm sure they get all the returns per the region as well. As in take the guy that returns his vPlus because the camera doesn't sit level when not powered. Or returned everything because he couldn't get the range extender to bind.

Anyway, I was completely sold on the idea of the refurb when I was told it would be better then what comes off the production line. I said I had just two request. I first explained to him since firmware version v3.0 I had never had a vPlus that would display the 640x480 30fps past 30ft. After asking me what I used to view the display with, he explained to me that the reason was that the software was meant to be used with a 4"- 5" inch display. He went into a full detail explanation about it, and then said he would check to see if there was anything he could do to improve it and he would apply it before sending it to me. I then asked for the 2nd request which was to send me the quad next day air. He said that wouldn't probably happen due to a shippers contract they have with UPS and FedEx. But that he would see if there was any other quicker option other then regular shipping. Otherwise it's 4 day shipping between us.

Good luck and please do report back on how your drone performs once you get it!

Congrats Frank, seems like you made out alright. Do let us know how they tricked out the refurb when you get it.

flyNfrank said:
I first explained to him since firmware version v3.0 I had never had a vPlus that would display the 640x480 30fps past 30ft. After asking me what I used to view the display with, he explained to me that the reason was that the software was meant to be used with a 4"- 5" inch display. He went into a full detail explanation about it, and then said he would check to see if there was anything he could do to improve it and he would apply it before sending it to me.

Hmm, I have a HTC One M8 (5 inch display) that I use and I experience what you mentioned.

flyNfrank said:
So I finally received some communication from DJI Tech Support about my V3 ESC/Motor drop out the sky warranty claim.....<snip>...... He said there was nothing else that would have explained why the crash happened as it did. So at this point in my mind it tell s me that this had to be a fault of mine and it must have been due to a broken motor wire.

He then said he didn't want to leave me in this position and said he wanted to help get me back in the air again. He took another quick look at my quad and agreed with me that there was not one part worth using again...<snip>....he said he would send me a quad that would be better then what I would pull out new from a box. All the most recent parts, basically going to even do some stuff that hasn't made it to the production line yet. And then test fly it before shipping it to me. I agreed to the price and now I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm the owner of a V3 Refurb...

It appears that is working out for you, glad you're happy to pay for updated V3 refurb. I hope it proves to be free of issues.

Sad quotes, "better then what I would pull out new" and "do some stuff that hasn't made it to the production line yet". Here's to all you new buyers buying off the shelf stock...read out dated. :roll:

djsydvicious said:
flyNfrank said:
I first explained to him since firmware version v3.0 I had never had a vPlus that would display the 640x480 30fps past 30ft. After asking me what I used to view the display with, he explained to me that the reason was that the software was meant to be used with a 4"- 5" inch display. He went into a full detail explanation about it, and then said he would check to see if there was anything he could do to improve it and he would apply it before sending it to me.

Hmm, I have a HTC One M8 (5 inch display) that I use and I experience what you mentioned.

Yeah as he said it was meant to be used with a 4"- 5" inch display, but that it end up not working with all displays at that size. This alone could be why there is a short list of recommended of devices to use with the vPlus. After he asked what I use to view with and I told him a newer Nexus 7 tablet. He then asked if I tried using my phone and what the results of that were. I said hell if I know. I got tired of walking around with a controller against my face because of a small display. I said have used nothing but my tablet since installing it.

RichWest said:
flyNfrank said:
So I finally received some communication from DJI Tech Support about my V3 ESC/Motor drop out the sky warranty claim.....<snip>...... He said there was nothing else that would have explained why the crash happened as it did. So at this point in my mind it tell s me that this had to be a fault of mine and it must have been due to a broken motor wire.

He then said he didn't want to leave me in this position and said he wanted to help get me back in the air again. He took another quick look at my quad and agreed with me that there was not one part worth using again...<snip>....he said he would send me a quad that would be better then what I would pull out new from a box. All the most recent parts, basically going to even do some stuff that hasn't made it to the production line yet. And then test fly it before shipping it to me. I agreed to the price and now I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm the owner of a V3 Refurb...

It appears that is working out for you, glad you're happy to pay for updated V3 refurb. I hope it proves to be free of issues.

Sad quotes, "better then what I would pull out new" and "do some stuff that hasn't made it to the production line yet". Here's to all you new buyers buying off the shelf stock...read out dated. :roll:

I got the feeling I was being told stuff like that only to insure I would be happy and except the idea of paying for a refurb. I even added in the comment area of my payment method "Unit is said to be in better then factory condition prior to shipping out". Probably why the email I got a little bit ago said they got the payment and will now go thru the quad and test fly before shipping it out. Prior to the email I was hoping they would have sent it today and maybe done so using a 2-day shipping and I would have it Friday. But it's not looking good for that to take place today. I'll have to go until next week for delivery now.

Btw, I don't care what I was told on the phone, the cover is coming off this quad 1st thing after receiving it. I also wont fly it without the Flytrex Live 3G installed either. I want GPS Tracker protection regardless who built and/or worked on it.

Can I ask what they slugged you for the replacement cost???

flyNfrank said:
Btw, I don't care what I was told on the phone, the cover is coming off this quad 1st thing after receiving it. I also wont fly it without the Flytrex Live 3G installed either. I want GPS Tracker protection regardless who built and/or worked on it.

Frank - take as "new pic of the Mosfets on the ESC's before the fire up please...... and next time if you open it up again. To the point of Mosfet packaging/ rating issues in ESC thread on forum

CyberCitizen said:
Can I ask what they slugged you for the replacement cost???

At the time I was being told there was nothing found that could explain the actual cause, I had thoughts of a email I received where the sale price for a new V3 was $1099 or $1169 which included a extra battery. So I knew when I got off the phone that I would be making another call and spending over $1200.

However, said they would replace whatever part needed to bring my quad back to life and that they would work with me on the amount. I mentioned other then some screws, I didn't think there was anything on my quad that could be used. He asked that I hold on so he could check. He returned and said I was 150% correct and that he wanted to check on another option because he wanted to help get me back in the air.

He returned and said he had a complete quad and he would go through each and ever part and make sure it had the most updated parts before test flying it and sending to me. After saying it would be better then new, said he could sell it and it would be referred to as a refurbished unit for 1/2 of retail cost and mentioned $649. He then went on to say that he was familiar with who I was and said he has seen how much support I give to others and that DJI very much appreciated this and he wanted to reduce the amount a little more and came up with an amount that I agreed to that was $550 total. He emailed a link, I paid it. And now I'm waiting for it to be shipped which should be sent out today.

Hay Frank,
Happy to hear you will be airborn again soon.
Btw. what did yoy mean at the beginning of this posr with the 'Yellow mark' by which an ecs v2.1 can be recognised; where do we look for that mark?

Frank so if I am reading correctly... you had ESC 2.1? Should of asked him when they were made... Sounds like crap to me...the story they feeding you i mean... if 2.1 ESC are so old then why did booklet that came with new motor say to use 2.0 and not 2.1...

And if your had 2.1 then why did v3 owners not have 2.1.. if yours was months older.... well newer v3 owners got 2.1.. so hard belIeve they were shipping 2.1 months ago.. went back to shipping 2.0 then back to 2.1 lol..

Reading on my phone so maybe I miss read.... but it makes no sense... Seems like they dont want to admit they told people to use wrong ESC .....

anyways lets hope you are flying again soon :)

Yellow mark or not I wouldnt be flying the new one unless it says 2.1... Havnt read thread fully but if they trying to get you to pay i'd push issue of you having 2.1 probably months b4 they existed lol...

So I'm the only one who is paranoid :p ?
Or no one really to fussed lol ?
Or I just didn't read thread properlly?? Or a bit of all the above ?

Regardless... Great news you shall be back up in the air soon... and with the fancy new parts to is pretty **** cool :) I'm a ittle jealous personally !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic