Refrigerate your phantom

Reaction score
Okay im laughing a bit at this whole refridgerate your phantom to get an accurate IMU calibrate. Who started this idea? Did an engineer from DJI recommend this or some geek from one if the forums. I have never stuck any of my drones in the fridge to cool down the IMU, besides my s900 and 4 foot kraken wont fit. haha
My p3s, Inspires, and now my p4 fly perfect following the factory instructions on IMU calibrations. But you know what I do for successful imu calibrations, I stand on one foot, and close my left eye and say a hail mary! Thats what everybody needs to do when calibrating the IMU!

Reactions: zacksomeone
see this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: maseman88
Okay im laughing a bit at this whole refridgerate your phantom to get an accurate IMU calibrate. Who started this idea? Did an engineer from DJI recommend this or some geek from one if the forums. I have never stuck any of my drones in the fridge to cool down the IMU, besides my s900 and 4 foot kraken wont fit. haha
My p3s, Inspires, and now my p4 fly perfect following the factory instructions on IMU calibrations. But you know what I do for successful imu calibrations, I stand on one foot, and close my left eye and say a hail mary! Thats what everybody needs to do when calibrating the IMU!
Which foot works best?

I did not fridge mine, but I did let it sit outside in the winter for a bit before I did the calibration.

I use to have to wait almost a minute for the aircraft to "warm up" before take off.

Now it's ready in seconds.

Laugh if you want but it works. :D
All you need is to lower the temp of the quad be it in a fridge or outside in the cold weather it works very well to fix warmup wait times.

I wrote A long post a couple of months ago on this. There is a valid reason to calibrate at a lower temp. However, I don't recommend calibrating with a huge variance.

The IMU needs to be at a higher temp then it was calibrated at. Otherwise it needs to warm up. You can fly until the IMU is at that temp.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
I thought it was total bs too.... but it isnt.

Yes, if you cool the imu, you'll have quicker start up times, this is proven.

However. And this is a big however, you're also messing with the calibration algorithm that's used to norm/adjust the barometer as well as the imu itself. Is 10-15 seconds of warm up time worth that risk? Up to the individual flyer.

Personally, I've flown both after cold imu cals, and room temp imu cals. I haven't noticed a difference in flight characteristics... But still, you should understand this is a "cheat" of sorts, and *may* impact the reliability/precision of the imu.

Yes, if you cool the imu, you'll have quicker start up times, this is proven.

However. And this is a big however, you're also messing with the calibration algorithm that's used to norm/adjust the barometer as well as the imu itself. Is 10-15 seconds of warm up time worth that risk? Up to the individual flyer.

Personally, I've flown both after cold imu cals, and room temp imu cals. I haven't noticed a difference in flight characteristics... But still, you should understand this is a "cheat" of sorts, and *may* impact the reliability/precision of the imu.

I actually noticed my reported altitude was more accurate after the cold IMU calibration.

I would take a long flight (2 or 3 miles) and come back with the altitude off by 30 +/- ft.

After my cold IMU, it's typically within 10-15 ft when landing

I actually noticed my reported altitude was more accurate after the cold IMU calibration.

I would take a long flight (2 or 3 miles) and come back with the altitude off by 30 +/- ft.

After my cold IMU, it's typically within 10-15 ft when landing

That could be that I live in Ohio and it's usually much colder outside than inside.

I put my P4 overnight in the freezer , I made sure that I wrapped the bird very well to prevent any moisture going inside, I planned to take it next morning to do cold IMU calibration , I was shocked next morning when I did not find it in the freezer , I asked my wife ' did you move my bird out of the freezer ? She replied you mean the duck? Yes I am defrosting it in the microwave to be ready for tonight dinner. At this moment I wonder is it kosher to drink P4 soup?
Please do not refrigerate your P4 without clear labeling and informing your wife

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What people don't seem to get is it's not a RACE TO WARM UP THE IMU!!!!

If you are flying in the cold, you should do a cold IMU calibration, if you are flying in 95 degree whether, you should do a calibration in 95 degree whether. It's a pain as I live in LA and the temperature ranges can vary at night 30-40 degrees from the day but I don't re-calibrate the IMU but if I plug it in to the assistant I can tell that it's off in the day if I calibrated at night (a little) than if I fly at night.

You want to calibrate at the temperature you will be flying. I know engineers that don't even know this but I spoke to someone about this issue that knows A LOT MORE than me so this isn't me speaking. This is someone that fixes and builds UASs' for a living.

Anyhow, there is a reason the IMU calibrates with a temperature gauge and it's not so you can do it in the cold so it will "warm up faster", actually it will just WARM UP LESS and that might not be good depending on the temp you are flying in.

Of course, if you are that impatient, do a cold calibration and you wont have to wait and you will probably be fine all the time.

God knows, the P4 has it's own problems.

My first P4 is a powder puff, works perfect and I thought everyone was crazy.

My second one has now been returned once and is still having a problem which I believe is a software/firmware/apple issue but I can't figure it out and a-holes at DJI answering the phone are bogged down because of this and the new OSMO accesory so he just wanted to send me an e-mail on how to bind the RC. I'm telling him IVE BOUND THE RC 20x, reformatted and re-installed everything from the air and directly from itunes as some say that makes a difference and I CANNOT get my bird to connect to the app via the Mini, only my RC.

It actually was just bad in the air at first and then it completely disconnected in the air but I was able to re-connect once it got closer. After I did what DJI said, I am worse off than I was.

So here I am with this POS and a company that is annoyed that I am annoyed and I told him, "I know you're just a guy working and I appreciate that but are you or are you not an engineer?".

So I am going to bring it to my friend at Drones Plus, and see what he has to say (he is actually taking a job at DJI and he might be the best person they'll have) because the people that answer the phones are only good at reading protocol. I need someone that can help me figure out WTF is wrong with this. On the DJI site since the Apple 9.3.1 and the DJI 2.7 Go, it has been chaos. They literally went from bad to not working. What's even stranger is that it's not like it no longer works on the ipad mini 2. For some people, it's an iPhone and I saw someone with the ipad pro that said it was working before the upgrade.

But today is my last day to return this one (which would be my third on my second) if that makes sense. In other words my first one that I got was fine, and now I have at least 1 bad one on my second and possibly 2. I really really don't want to return again and I think this is actually a software issue but if it isn't I'll be screwed if I don't return it.

I can't even test the other one to troubleshoot if it's a software issue because it's in New York at the moment. Sorry if I sort of just OT'd this thread on the second half of this post.

UGH!

Last edited:
Hi, might be posted elsewhere but to mention that I had the same unable to connect iPad issue thing....I loaded ios beta 9.3.1 and it fixed it........... you just have sign up to Apple beta program first.........

Lol that would be the next step after removing the propellers and seasoning it with paprika

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What people don't seem to get is it's not a RACE TO WARM UP THE IMU!!!!

If you are flying in the cold, you should do a cold IMU calibration, if you are flying in 95 degree whether, you should do a calibration in 95 degree whether. It's a pain as I live in LA and the temperature ranges can vary at night 30-40 degrees from the day but I don't re-calibrate the IMU but if I plug it in to the assistant I can tell that it's off in the day if I calibrated at night (a little) than if I fly at night.

You want to calibrate at the temperature you will be flying. I know engineers that don't even know this but I spoke to someone about this issue that knows A LOT MORE than me so this isn't me speaking. This is someone that fixes and builds UASs' for a living.

Anyhow, there is a reason the IMU calibrates with a temperature gauge and it's not so you can do it in the cold so it will "warm up faster", actually it will just WARM UP LESS and that might not be good depending on the temp you are flying in.

Of course, if you are that impatient, do a cold calibration and you wont have to wait and you will probably be fine all the time.

God knows, the P4 has it's own problems.

My first P4 is a powder puff, works perfect and I thought everyone was crazy.

My second one has now been returned once and is still having a problem which I believe is a software/firmware/apple issue but I can't figure it out and a-holes at DJI answering the phone are bogged down because of this and the new OSMO accesory so he just wanted to send me an e-mail on how to bind the RC. I'm telling him IVE BOUND THE RC 20x, reformatted and re-installed everything from the air and directly from itunes as some say that makes a difference and I CANNOT get my bird to connect to the app via the Mini, only my RC.

It actually was just bad in the air at first and then it completely disconnected in the air but I was able to re-connect once it got closer. After I did what DJI said, I am worse off than I was.

So here I am with this POS and a company that is annoyed that I am annoyed and I told him, "I know you're just a guy working and I appreciate that but are you or are you not an engineer?".

So I am going to bring it to my friend at Drones Plus, and see what he has to say (he is actually taking a job at DJI and he might be the best person they'll have) because the people that answer the phones are only good at reading protocol. I need someone that can help me figure out WTF is wrong with this. On the DJI site since the Apple 9.3.1 and the DJI 2.7 Go, it has been chaos. They literally went from bad to not working. What's even stranger is that it's not like it no longer works on the ipad mini 2. For some people, it's an iPhone and I saw someone with the ipad pro that said it was working before the upgrade.

But today is my last day to return this one (which would be my third on my second) if that makes sense. In other words my first one that I got was fine, and now I have at least 1 bad one on my second and possibly 2. I really really don't want to return again and I think this is actually a software issue but if it isn't I'll be screwed if I don't return it.

I can't even test the other one to troubleshoot if it's a software issue because it's in New York at the moment. Sorry if I sort of just OT'd this thread on the second half of this post.

UGH!

Return it, if your first one is good, how can DJI possibly fix it with a firmware update? its all the same components - its just hasn't been built properly. A firmware wont fix that and you'll be stuck with it.

If they release a firmware, how can it differentiate between the good ones and the bad ones when its all the same components?

Reactions: Jussaguy
Return it, if your first one is good, how can DJI possibly fix it with a firmware update? its all the same components - its just hasn't been built properly. A firmware wont fix that and you'll be stuck with it.

If they release a firmware, how can it differentiate between the good ones and the bad ones when its all the same components?
After spending the weekend and the day (including bringing it to Drones Plus where my friend works), and DJI saying either return it or RMA it, I did just that. I walked in to the Apple Store and left with a new one. They are so awesome at Apple. The manager said and if this one doesn't work, just bring it back and I swear to god he said this "We are doing our best to teach them how to keep customers and we are in a constant battle".

This wasn't my friend that said that, this was a manager I had never met and I couldn't believe he said that.

I don't think that DJI realizes that people are clamoring for a product as good as theirs with the consistency of a better company. Not sure how the factories that make everything we have here, can't assemble properly for their own huge company.

I said I wish Apple would make a UAV already, and he said "I'm sure we are" with a little laugh.

I'm predicting Apple is testing the waters with DJI and are probably deep into R&D on something that will be the shiz.

Here's hoping. Here's also hoping this bird flies well.

Fact is, if I can get 350 or so strong meters, I won't even care. I'm not a Range Rover like some of you guys. I just need it to work and not hiccup at 40 feet and DISCONNECT FROM AIRCRAFT in midair. Lol.

I am a lucky bastid for not having that thing crash.

My advice in emergencies: admit defeat and pretend the bird is a goner and it's amazing how quick you come to grips with it and then you think and work slow, not fast and you will get it done faster. If I was even panicking a little, that would have been gone.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling but THANKS. Sadly that was about that nicest post anyway ever threw my way around here. My wife keeps looking at me posting here and laughing at me.

Man can I ramble like a champ. Is there a living in non-sensical, long winded writing besides Michael Moore?

After spending the weekend and the day (including bringing it to Drones Plus where my friend works), and DJI saying either return it or RMA it, I did just that. I walked in to the Apple Store and left with a new one. They are so awesome at Apple. The manager said and if this one doesn't work, just bring it back and I swear to god he said this "We are doing our best to teach them how to keep customers and we are in a constant battle".

This wasn't my friend that said that, this was a manager I had never met and I couldn't believe he said that.

I don't think that DJI realizes that people are clamoring for a product as good as theirs with the consistency of a better company. Not sure how the factories that make everything we have here, can't assemble properly for their own huge company.

I said I wish Apple would make a UAV already, and he said "I'm sure we are" with a little laugh.

I'm predicting Apple is testing the waters with DJI and are probably deep into R&D on something that will be the shiz.

Here's hoping. Here's also hoping this bird flies well.

Fact is, if I can get 350 or so strong meters, I won't even care. I'm not a Range Rover like some of you guys. I just need it to work and not hiccup at 40 feet and DISCONNECT FROM AIRCRAFT in midair. Lol.

I am a lucky bastid for not having that thing crash.

My advice in emergencies: admit defeat and pretend the bird is a goner and it's amazing how quick you come to grips with it and then you think and work slow, not fast and you will get it done faster. If I was even panicking a little, that would have been gone.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling but THANKS. Sadly that was about that nicest post anyway ever threw my way around here. My wife keeps looking at me posting here and laughing at me.

Man can I ramble like a champ. Is there a living in non-sensical, long winded writing besides Michael Moore?

Cool man, how is your new one? is it possessed, do we need to do an exorcism? Also why do you need 2?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers