REDbird - 5.8ghz RC Repeater for DJI P2V+ - PLEASE RE-WATCH BERRYs DEMO VIDEO

Thanks guys... I put this stuff here as preliminary promotion.

Price... a fair bit under $200 USD.

Looking for Suggestions:
I'd really appreciate anyone to leave message here or contact me personally about ideas on how to reach every Phantom 2 Vision, Vision+, or FC40 owner out there.​

Selling your P2V, P2V+, or FC40:
Please tell your prospect about this product. It can only help maximize your resell value if they know this type flight is possible.​

Keeping your P2V, P2V+, or FC40:
Looking for a few more people to evaluate the REBbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater/Controller. No cost to borrow a REDbird unit. Just have a few simple requests. For Camera Tripod Mount or fly on a second Repeater-Helper Drone.

Qty 2 units are allocated to two people now and soon to ship.
Phantom 3 or Inspire 1:
The REDbird device will enable flying and controlling user-specific payloads. That means any REDbird asset can transfer after used on a P2V+ to a P3 or Inspire 1. Not for range extending; instead payload control.

The REDbird 5.8ghz RC Device can also become an RC Controller. Just plug in a Trainer Input Device and it automatically transforms from being a Repeater to a Controller:
REDbirdAsController.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I deleted my post with the incorrect price.

For under the price you mentioned I would be very interested..

Let me know if you need someone in Australia to test...you know, our extreme sun and crocodiles etc etc :)

What area of Australia do you live?

The REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater/Controller is not just an RF Amp.

It is a full radio transceiver device.

I will consider your location. I have a few more I can send out for test.

Gary

I am in Melbourne Australia and have P2V+ :]

Last edited:
Reactions: garrock
Just out of curiosity..what do you mean by "not for range extending..instead payload control"

Im confused by the payload control part?

Also can you go into more detail on what you mean on this part please
"For CameraTripod Mount or fly on a second Repeater-Helper Drone."

Much appreciated - thanks

The REDbird 5.8ghz RC Transceiver is a two way radio control system. Just like the 2.4ghz RC equipment. put a module in the drone to receive uplink data from the ground... or down link to ground also.

Since the Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 use only the 2.4ghz radio band, then the redbird 5.8ghz radio will not interfere with it.

Payload Control: The redbird 5.8ghz radio can control a payload flown on the drone. Such as lighting systems, loud speaker, and general purpose I/O up to the imagination of the user.

A lighting system can be modulated to the music playing on the ground, etc. etc.

Back to applications using the P2V+ ...
The REDbird 5.8ghz RC repeater and the DJI 2.4ghz WiFi repeater are the same size. Together they make a complete radio repeating solution for the Phantom Vision drones.

As a system, they can be remote mounted.
Mounted on a tripod allows you to set inside your car or shaded area. Mounted on a second repeater drone allows you to hover it hundreds if feet above your head. This enables a whole new way to fly out if or in to places that were previously impossible. Or, in an open area allows you to fly tbe P2V+ at ground level from take off all the way out to your current distances.

It will be great when someone else can confirm your results.

It will be great when someone else can confirm your results.

It's all line of sight. Think about all the antennas on tall buildings, towers, etc. I have no doubt at all that it works. I've often thought about using a balloon with a tether.

Last edited:
It's all line of sight. Think about all the antennas of tall buildings, towers, etc. I have no doubt at all that it works. I've often thought about using a balloon with a tether.
Perhaps a single flight with the strategic placement of an antenna in a nearby tree would work well too. What a great Idea. :) I think I'll try it.

Perhaps a single flight with the strategic placement of an antenna in a nearby tree would work well too. What a great Idea. :) I think I'll try it.

Thing is, even for tree mount... for the P2V+ you will need two repeaters:
  • DJI 2.4ghz WiFi Repeater
  • REDbird 5.8ghz RC Repeater
Until now, only DJI had a proprietary 5.8ghz RC control link locked into the controller where it cannot be remote mounted.

The REDbird approach is about separating the Control Point from the Radio Up/Downlink Point.
DJI only had half of the solution with their small WiFi Repeater Module attached to the controller. And, it has mostly been assumed to remain mounted to the Controller; making it fixed as both the Control Point and Radio Up/Downlink Point.

Remote mounting meaning:
  • Not on your controller
  • On a camera tripod (place near you or far away ontop a hill)
  • Ontop your car (set comfortably inside and explore your environment)
  • On a second repeater/helper drone
  • In a tree top or ontop a pole

So far, two people are being shipped soon REDbird evaluation/test units:
  • Florida: P2V+ Worker Drone. P2 Repeater/Helper Drone
  • Texas: P2V+ Worker Drone. P1 Repeater/Helper Drone
Florida will duplicate the dual drone setup I've flown.
Texas will test a lower cost P1 drone as the Repeater/Helper.​

Still looking for other test sites. Prefer in North America at first but can consider otherwise.

A friend has a 30ft mast with antenna on it... he uses it for wireless (melb wireless which is a p2p network) anyways he woukd be happy to mount anything else on it....he also lives in farmlard so it woukd be perfect for testing long range results without interferance...will let you think it over :)

Reactions: IflyinWY
A friend has a 30ft mast with antenna on it... he uses it for wireless (melb wireless which is a p2p network) anyways he woukd be happy to mount anything else on it....he also lives in farmlard so it woukd be perfect for testing long range results without interferance...will let you think it over :)

The ranch spans many miles and this sounds like a good idea. Perhaps a few repeaters could help me overcome the terrain issues. There's the plains and then there's the mountains. It's not an easy solution, but one way or the other, I'm going to solve the problem. :)

You have a ranch with mountains...?
Kinda jelous... I live inner city and I dobt even have a backyard... however it takes me 8 mins to get to work in cbd so that makes up for it....but ya kinda wanting a property like my friend or you have...coukd fly proper nitro rc planes and god knows what else :) heaps of nice big parks around me but nothing compares to a farm :(

My friend with 30ft mast just has directional antenna to connect someone else via wifi about 12km away.. he has LOS which is kinda amazing hehe.. he was getting about 2mbit/s with him/nieghbor using 100mw cards...hooked him up with some 2.4ghz amps and now they get 7-8mbit/s...they dont even use the link except to ping each other and do speed tests so thry can say "hey our 12km link is xx mbit/sec" heh...

What do you think you'll do to get around your mountain issue? The tetherd weather baloon sounds kinda fun....I wouldnt use it cause 30ft mast is enough but how long does the baloom stay up? And how much payload can it carry??

*edit* So just to confirm.. if you were to use P2V+ stock DJI controller... you bind the RC to your device and then it will act as a transmitter (transmitting as if it was the DJI controller so the Phantom doesn't get update) right ?

How exactly does it work with another repeater ?
You bind to the first device, the first device then sends and the signal is picked up by the repeater, the repeater than propagates the signal even further ??

Reaaallly eager to get my hands on one of these puppies as I am very close to buying a 5.8ghz amp, and yes I am know this is MUCH MUCH more than an amp!! :]

Last edited:
*edit* So just to confirm.. if you were to use P2V+ stock DJI controller... you bind the RC to your device and then it will act as a transmitter (transmitting as if it was the DJI controller so the Phantom doesn't get update) right ?]

Binding Button:
The REDbird device has a small recessed bind button. Simply press the button and then turn on your phantom controller. Within a few seconds the device will recognize and remember your phantom controller.​

Repeater Mode:
The REDbird device will re-transmit (repeat) all data packets it receives from the phantom controller. The drone will ignore duplicate data packets. This also means the REDbird device can be turned on (or off) at anytime during flight to enable (or disable) repeating.​

Controller Mode (trainer port input):
If the REDbird device detects an active trainer port input, then the device automatically becomes a Controller. In this case you must turn off your DJI Controller and use the third party controller that is connected to the REDbird's trainer input port. Also in this case, you can use a second REDbird device as a repeater.​

Last question...so ideally you use two of the Redbird devices right? One that is close to the RC controller its bound to and the second Redbird can be mounted on a drone,weather balloon etc etc right??

If thats the case are the 2 redbirds binded together as well as the first binded to a DJI controller?? Or us my understanding abit off regarding the use of 2 Redbirds??

Appreciate your quick responses. Thanks :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik