red / white dots in video

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Someone else here on the forum had this issue... I don't know what the resolution was. Try a search for it.

No hard landing and I checked the cable today. After noticing this I went out in my front yard and did some photos and video and didn't have the problem. Do you think it could have been white balancing or the fact that I was flying near power lines that could have provided interference?

The answer to both questions is yes. It could also be related to ISO, or a ham radio or other high power transmitter close-by.

However, have you recently done any updates?
What model Phantom do you have?
What FPV platform are you using, Apple-Android-Other?
If you change locations and shoot video without making any other changes, do you still have to problem?

I have recently updated to the latest firmware, but have not had problems in 5 or 6 shoots before then, in varying loifht conditions. Using the phantom 3 professional, using Apple IOS as the control device. I did change locations that evening after I noticed the problem and did not have it. This was a real estate shoot, and I was near power lines that run in front of the house. When I was a hundred feet above them no problem, but 25 feet above or below them I had this problem. It was in the photos too, but they can be retouched.

Makes sense. IMO, you're the victim of high voltage radiation. Nothing you can do about it. Not related to any issues with the Phantom or camera. Could be a sign of a transformer leak in the area. If you know the folks that live there - have them notify the power company to have it checked out. Could prevent a transformer going up in smoke and them losing power until it's fixed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like the same house from a different angle.

You can not expect a different result under that same conditions in the same location.

Ok, no idea at this point. You said you flew somewhere else after the first problem and it went well. Is it possible you have more interference you may be missing. It's odd you have an intermittent issue.

Just wondering if anyone found a solution. I'm going to check the ribbon cable and attempt some firmware updates (I'm 2 behind) to see if that helps. It's not interference that is causing it for me - I have been flying it for years in all of these spots and it has worked fine. Suddenly. Thanks.

anyone found the solution? I have the same problem.
So, I just disassembled the gimbal portion (unscrewed and pulled off) to check the ribbon cables. From what I've read and seen in forums, every time dji sees this issue, they say "it needs to be sent in for repair, sorry for the inconvenience".

What I think they are doing is either reseating or replacing the ribbon cable, but they won't ask the user to do it (probably because, being an "off the shelf, flies itself" type quad, most phantom fliers have no building / electronics skills, and it's easy to rip a cable or not understand how to work with these connections - and they run the risk of further damage by asking or allowing the user to crack it open). Anyway, I removed the keepers and un / re seated all cables, checked for damage (saw none) and reassembled. I tested in my office and found no dots so far. I'm going to take it out flying in about an hour to test - usually flying in the dark or facing directly into the sun would produce all the dots - sometimes I would get some clean pictures, but sometimes they were in every shot regardless of exposure environment. I've got 3 batteries with me and I'll test it in every scenario I can think of. I'll report back after I get home and sift though all the footage.

What I didn't do is disassemble the actual gimbal itself to see what the connection looks like going into the camera. If there is still a problem, that's the next step. And if that doesn't work, I'll either get a new ribbon cable, or I'll buy a magic, gut the phantom, put a kiss v2 fc in it, some 32A, 32 bit kiss esc's and a unify tx and build myself a sick acro phantom. We'll see how long these motors last then ;)

Ivodc and Sdemaio... How old are your P3's? I ask as it could be sensor failure.
Mine's a P4. Am I in a P3 thread? Mine is about 2 years old. What I did today did not work, btw. As soon as I fired it up again I could see the "snow" on the screen of the ipad. This seems to be happening to a lot of people... I wish DJI would address the root cause. I'm sure it's the same across the board...

Oops - yeah, I am in a P3 thread. But, there's post after post after post of this in the P4 section too. Seems pretty widespread with DJI cameras...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj