Red Lights and Beeping

Reaction score
Hi I have spent hours searching but I have finally given in and am now asking for help. Forgive me if I have missed all the noob stickies etc..

I bought a crashed Phantom 2 off eBay hoping to fixup. So far I found a crack in the main board which I have replaced and one of the ESC boards power connections broke loose which I have resoldered.

I have done a visual inspection of the lot. I just can't get the MC to connect to my PC (however the remote controller did and I updated firmware ok)
I'm not sure what else is broken, but I suspect the NAZA is.. Is there any easy way to check if this is the faulty component? Symptoms are I cannot connect to USB, red lights flashing and beeping motors when switching on and the transmitter will not bind with the phantom.

I'm starting to regret buying a broken one, but the good news is the accessories alone were worth what I paid...

Yes and have tried on a different laptop running Windows XP. The remote controller is able to connect to the PC software

The red lights and beeping mean that the ESCs are not getting a signal from the Naza flight controller.

Combined with the fact that the Naza won't connect to the computer, this indicates one of two things:
- The Naza isn't getting proper power (you can measure and see if the output pins provide +5.5V)
- The Naza isn't working.

If it's the second case, I'd suggest getting a Naza Lite for $55 off Ebay, then see here: http://naza-upgrade.com/

The main board was replaced? or repaired?

That PCB is multi-layer, so if there was a crack in it, depending on where it was, you could have several broken traces that can't even be seen.

Check and make sure that L1 is still soldered on the board and not only half connected, and that D2 is not shorted as either one will cause no power to the FC. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28252

If the main board was replaced, then the FC is most likely what's bad or wired up wrong.

Thanks for the info. I have completely replaced the main board. I have looked at alot of photos online and believe I have wired up the NAZA correctly. However I could not find any definitive guide that shows exactly how to wire it up.

On the one side I have the M1234 connector from the main board into the bottom right most pins

Other side I have the USB output connected to the top left LED connector.

The EXP port is connected to the main board connector with Orange-Orange-Brown wires

X1 is connected to the Right connector from the Rx (right when looking from outside of Phantom
X2 is connected to the left connector from the Rx
X3 goes to the Brown-Red-Orange on the main board

All the brown wires in X1,2 and 3 are at the top connected to the -ve

The rest of the connectors don't appear to be able to connect any other way due to the tabs, so I am sure they are the correct orientation.

CityZen said:
The red lights and beeping mean that the ESCs are not getting a signal from the Naza flight controller.

Combined with the fact that the Naza won't connect to the computer, this indicates one of two things:
- The Naza isn't getting proper power (you can measure and see if the output pins provide +5.5V)
- The Naza isn't working.

If it's the second case, I'd suggest getting a Naza Lite for $55 off Ebay, then see here: http://naza-upgrade.com/
Thanks for the info. I was worried about spending close to £200 here, but found I can buy this for about £50 instead.

I have another Naza I can test. Is there any risk of blowing it up? The main board will be fine, but the problem may be with the ESC or Rx. I'm guessing that it is unlikely that the other components will destroy another Naza while I swap it in to test so I'm going to try it out.

If the main board is new and everything is plugged up correctly, the chance of damaging a new FC is minimal.

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring into the FC please? Or could you confirm the way I have connected up is correct. I think it is! My other Naza will be here in a couple of days to allow me to test it.

One other thing. When I try to bind the controller all I get is red flashing lights on the Rx. I read the manual and it says wait until yellow flashing lights appear then power on the remote controller. I don't see yellow lights.

You can find any picture online by doing a google image search (example search: phantom 2 inside).
Your description sounds correct. The only uncertainty I saw was regarding the motor plug, which needs to be inserted with the red wire toward the edge.

You should also try a minimal connection:
1. Hook up only the X3 (power) plug and the motor plug. Should hear startup tones and see LEDs flashing other than red.
or
2. Hook up only the X3 (power) plug and the USB wire to the LED port. Should be able to attach to Phantom Assistant software.

If neither of these tests pass, I'd still suggest using a multimeter to measure the voltage output on the X3 cable (top two wires).
I actually like to use an alligator clip wire to attach the negative probe to one of the ESC ground wires, then I only need to
poke the positive probe at the +5.5V connection. It's actually better to test with the X3 wire plugged in to the Naza and
then measure the power at the output pin side of the Naza (any middle-row pin). Just be very careful not to short out two pins
with the probe.

If the power is good, then the Naza is likely bad.

Regarding the receiver, see here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2-Preparing_the_Remote_Controller#Linking_procedures
Note that the procedure is slightly different for different Phantom models.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers