red colour glow in centre of images in RAW

Reaction score
I just got my 4Pro and my raw files all have a red glow or cast in the centre of each image. Any thoughts on how to remove / prevent this?

Could you post an example?

This sounds like a defect.

This weird image is go snowmobile tracks (drawing). The edges are quite green and center red-ish. Not sure why. My 3Pro doesn't do this.
DJI_0042.jpg

This weird image is go snowmobile tracks (drawing). The edges are quite green and center red-ish. Not sure why. My 3Pro doesn't do this.
View attachment 75340
The color-cast is definitely there, almost like extreme vignette. I have seen one other example here with a similar monochrome snow-theme.

I think I would send a sample to dji for their comment and potential replacement.

(the region with the red color-cast easier to see in the version below)
upload_2017-2-5_0-0-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-5_0-0-3.png
    upload_2017-2-5_0-0-3.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 399
Thanks Tomas. I will send to DJI. Disappointed with the raw files and what I thought would be the image quality of the 4pro

Hmmmm seems like you have a "Halo" effect actually.. What was the sun's position when you took the picture? Was it behind and above your drone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hmmmm seems like you have a "Halo" effect actually.. What was the sun's position when you took the picture? Was it behind and above your drone?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Yes the sun was above the drone but not behind. When I shoot the same thing, same time with the 3Pro it doesn't halo like this. Must be defective camera. Have sent info to DJI

Actually the leds coloring the haze is a good explanation. It should then only appear in some images and not all, however.
Its a good thought, but the drone is very high and I can't imagine the LEDS would cast to this degree from such a height

the LED's are on the arms above the gimbal and sometimes in forward flight the red will glare on the lens of the camera not the ground. Usually only happens in lower light such as over cast or hazy skies and close to dark.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The color-cast is definitely there, almost like extreme vignette. I have seen one other example here with a similar monochrome snow-theme.

I think I would send a sample to dji for their comment and potential replacement.

(the region with the red color-cast easier to see in the version below)
View attachment 75347

There is alot of CA in the image too. Maybe this could be contributing to the color cast. Have you tried shooting with an ND filter or even a UV filter? I shoot with Lee Filters on my DSLR. Insanely expensive but they give off a purplish cast that I have to fix in post. Just a thought.

View attachment 75340

Just be aware that the stock front filter on the P4P camera is in fact perspex, and not glass.
So any hint of direct sunlight on the perspex filter will cause problems. Perspex will cause all sorts of aberrations, particularly chromatic aberrations. So shooting against the light needs to be done with care. Or purchase a new glass replacement filter. Personally I use a polarpro polarizer, which is made of optical glass and provides polarizing, which is great for landscapes. Keep it very clean also. Most lenses perform best at 2 to 2.5 stops down from maximum aperture (widest aperture). So for the P4P that is at F5.6 to F6.3. If you shot anywhere near the P4P's minimum aperture of F11 you will have all sorts of aberrations, particularly through perspex and doubly so if against the light.

There is alot of CA in the image too. Maybe this could be contributing to the color cast. Have you tried shooting with an ND filter or even a UV filter? I shoot with Lee Filters on my DSLR. Insanely expensive but they give off a purplish cast that I have to fix in post. Just a thought.
Thanks. I'll look into that. First I'll see if I can get a replacement as my Pro3+ doesn't have any of these issues shooting same subject same time of day. I could take the CA out in post but the overall quality is just not even as good as the 3Pro+ I already have...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is actually a "big" issue with the Mavic, Whose returning their mavic because of the warm spot?

I just checked my P4P and on RAW files I get the same red spot when photographing a white wall, according to DJI it had to do with how small the lens/camera was in the MAVIC but that does not hold up any more.

If you want to check your P4P all you need to do is take a picture in RAW format of a white wall, as far as I have seen, white balance doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: AyeYo
BTW, LR actually does something to the file since when viewing it in the library mode the spot is really obvious, once you click on the Develop mode/tab, it is greatly reduced as if it is applying some correction, this either does not happen with Mavic files or happens to a lesser extent. Also JPG files exported from the RAW files do not seem to carry the spot over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31