Red arrow and true direction in Go app

Thanks Richard...why does the Go app request a phone compass calibration though?

In some advance flight modes, a follow me for example, the phone/tablet GPS/compass are needed to locate what to follow, your position. The drone's compass and other drone's sensors then navigate the drone to accomplish the task.

If the red arrow on the map isn't facing the same direction as the Phantom, is that likely then meaning you need to calibrate the compass on the P3?

Among other potential reasons, the drone's compass or IMU sensors might need calibration. The problem is with the drone, not with the phone/tablet.

In some advance flight modes, a follow me for example, the phone/tablet GPS/compass are needed to locate what to follow, your position. The drone's compass and other drone's sensors then navigate the drone to accomplish the task.

Among other potential reasons, the drone's compass or IMU sensors might need calibration. The problem is with the drone, not with the phone/tablet.

Okay, thanks...when I got this unit (it was my 3rd, long story but had issues with the first two), the tech guy opened the box and calibrated the IMU and compass and we took it for a test flight as I live two hours away from their premises. But it was a hot day, and even though the A/C was on indoors, it wasn't cold, and he calibrated on their concrete floor, after he'd left the P3 running for several minutes. I questioned him about it because of the heat, and leaving it running before calibrating, but he said it wasn't a big deal...I have since done an IMU calibration at home when the temperature was colder, but haven't had a chance to fly because either the cloud cover is too extreme, or it's raining. I guess I'll wait and see whether there are issues when I can next test it, but I did notice on my last practice flight that when I first started flying, the red arrow and P3 weren't exactly aligned...but after flying around for a few minutes, they had the same orientation.

I would do compass calibration again in your location. Find a good location without any magnetic interference, and do it once.

You might see some disagreement between video feed and red icon and course indication from time to time. Could be the delay caused by video feed itself, gimbal adjusting itself, and a bit of perception of what we think is happening with the drone. But for most time the video feed and red icon bearing should be in agreement.

I would do compass calibration again in your location. Find a good location without any magnetic interference, and do it once.

You might see some disagreement between video feed and red icon and course indication from time to time. Could be the delay caused by video feed itself, gimbal adjusting itself, and a bit of perception of what we think is happening with the drone. But for most time the video feed and red icon bearing should be in agreement.

Thanks, yes, I have done a compass calibration also since I brought the new unit home (the tech guy calibrated outside their office in a car park, in Melbourne city, and I wasn't sure that was the best place for it), but when the rain finally clears up I'll try again in another location and just keep an eye on it.

The nose points in the direction the P3 is POINTED and NOT to the actual course being traveled. So if you move the stick forward it tries to fly a constant course, so with a crosswind it will show a "crab angle" into the wind to compensate. You'll see it all the time, because they'll be visible crab even without being "very windy".

Turning with forward motion and only rudder will cause a "skidding" turn where the nose will be pointed well off the turning course line.

I think you could rotate the bird 90 degrees, and then fly straight away from yourself with just full deflection roll, and see the nose pointed 90 degrees to the direction of flight.

So between having a crosswind component that needs a crab angle to maintain course, any unintentional roll input during "full forward" flight, and "uncoordinated" turns, you'll see minor variations in the nose direction vs course as often as not. That's been my experience.

The nose points in the direction the P3 is POINTED and NOT to the actual course being traveled. So if you move the stick forward it tries to fly a constant course, so with a crosswind it will show a "crab angle" into the wind to compensate. You'll see it all the time, because they'll be visible crab even without being "very windy".

Turning with forward motion and only rudder will cause a "skidding" turn where the nose will be pointed well off the turning course line.

Correct ... the drone's course and nose do not have to be on the same bearing, but that was not a problem raised.

The issue raised by OP was disagreement between nose/camera pointing straight ahead the course as seen in the more less real time video and at the same time nose pointing sideways as indicated by the drone icon on the chart/map.

Didn't look like a problem to me look like he was just flying sideways for about 300 feet and then proceeded to get forward stick motion bringing the bird towards him

Didn't look like a problem to me look like he was just flying sideways for about 300 feet and then proceeded to get forward stick motion bringing the bird towards him

Watch the camera, he is flying forward. More to the point it is discussed in the comments....it also sounds like he did the whole flight in atti mode...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic