Recurring Auto Land issue

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This isn't the first time I've seen my P2V do this, but...

This is one of the first P2V units to ship as I pre-purchased fairly early on. That being said, it obviously has the radius battery connector pins and not the newer crenelated pins. It has every bit of new firmware, software and apps available. I currently have an RE700 installed. The RE700 allows me much better app preview resolution and apparently a longer range, though that's still untested. What this RE700 does not do, and should, is show me the voltage percentage remaining for the RE700 in the app. This does not show in either IOS or Android apps...

Today I was flying fairly close in, and the P2V began to descend on its own with flashing red rear LEDs.... I was able to force it to stay up so I could hand catch. With the P2V back on top of the case, the rear lights went back to a slow flashing green... All looked go, so up it went again... Within a minute, right back to the red lights... This is with my original battery. The original battery has the smaller, round, pads. Here's the state of that battery.

oldbattery.jpg

Nothing alarming going on there, that I can see...

I put in my newer battery, with the larger square pads and flew it for seven minutes, without issue. No problems at all... Here's the state of that battery...

newbattery.jpg

Is this a battery pin contact issue? There was absolutely no warning of any kind on the screen. Nothing!

Has anyone else seen this or have any input?

Thanks...
-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod
Slinger sounds like you have a bad battery. Myself along with many many other pilots are having the exact same problems. The bad batteries seem good according to the assistant data but do not work correctly. Early low voltage alarm and early auto land activation seem to be the norm for these bad batteries.

To fix problem insert new battery. lol. Not very funny at $130 per.

Seems like there is no apparent one reason for failure other these then batteries just do not last. There are several posts in Phantom2, Phantom Vision and Phantom Vision+ about these batteries failing. I have tried discharging to 8% and re-cleaning contacts but with no help. My 2 bad batteries have around 37 cycles. Some other pilots have reported problems with as few as 12 cycles. Other people have no problems.

I contacted my dealer and they will not replace batteries older then 3 months. You may have a chance of replacement if bought in EU. Think I read EU units have a 1 year replacement.

37 cycles is quite good since some are failing with less than 20.
I can't help but feel something is suddenly 'switched over' in the battery and nothing you can do will reverse it.
It seems very odd that with no noticeable decline on previous flights it suddenly goes to 'must land' situation at around 50%
Yours is another with nothing showing significantly wrong with it in the Assistant software

Slinger the new software tends to "UP" the battery warnings. The pics you posted are "No load" numbers at 11.3 and 11.9. I went back to old software lowered battery warnings to 10.6 & 10.4 and it flys well into the 15-17 min range again. The new software with "auto land" is pretty conservative.

EMCSQUAR said:
Slinger the new software tends to "UP" the battery warnings. The pics you posted are "No load" numbers at 11.3 and 11.9. I went back to old software lowered battery warnings to 10.6 & 10.4 and it flys well into the 15-17 min range again. The new software with "auto land" is pretty conservative.

Awesome... Good advice... I'll give that a shot as well as rattle DJI's chain. I'm not happy about losing that kind of investment after only 37 cycles... I've been as careful as can be about storing them at half charge, etc... :roll:

-slinger

Reactions: dirkclod

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl