Recreational flying with Part 107 certification

Reaction score
I am in process of licensing as part 107 (passed my test awaiting IACRA to catch up with results..) If I conduct flight operations for recreation or training, am I covered under Part 101 or part 107?

Did you get your temporary certificate? That usually is available pretty quickly, If I remember correctly I had mine in 5 or 6 days. If you have your temp you are covered under Part 107.

So how do you designate a flight to be under Part 107? Conversely, how as a Certified Pilot do I designate that my flight (with my 107 registered Phantom) is going to be a non-commercial (hobbyist) flight?

So how do you designate a flight to be under Part 107? Conversely, how as a Certified Pilot do I designate that my flight (with my 107 registered Phantom) is going to be a non-commercial (hobbyist) flight?

It's your choice when you plan and launch the flight, assuming that it qualifies under Part 101, otherwise it is automatically under Part 107.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and BigAl07
Unless you're keeping logs (a very good idea BTW) you aren't actually "noting" it but you make the conscious decision about which set of rules you're going to fly by and that flight is flown entirely by that set of rules/guidelines.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Some thoughts here...

As mentioned many times, even though you hold a 107 certificate, you could still fly under 101.41. In doing so there is no "light switch" or "siren" to the world announcing what you're flying under, just follow the rules of the applicable regulation you choose. If this doesn't sit comfortable with you, log all your flights to show what flights were under 107 and 101.41.

Now here's a loophole - suppose you hold a 107 certificate, live 3 miles from a class G airport and want to just fly around, there is nothing preventing you from attaching that seemingly recreational flight to 107 activity such as "flight proficiency," "equipment testing," "camera adjusting," etc., all part of you using your drone for "commercial purposes." Again, if you have concerns a simple log book provides clarification if an issue ever arises.

Unless you're keeping logs (a very good idea BTW) you aren't actually "noting" it but you make the conscious decision about which set of rules you're going to fly by and that flight is flown entirely by that set of rules/guidelines.

Al you beat me to the punch! LOL!

Reactions: BigAl07
So if you are within five miles of an airport inside restricted airspace are you essentially "designating" by whether you notify the airport or request authorization (assuming no waivers are in place)?

So if you are within five miles of an airport inside restricted airspace are you essentially "designating" by whether you notify the airport or request authorization (assuming no waivers are in place)?
You need to also specify what airspace.

No tower Class G airport - 107, no notification, 101.41, call the airport (or heliport)

Tower Class D, no 107 unless authorized (107.41, good luck) 101.41, call the tower

Make sense?

Reactions: BigAl07

I'm assuming you mean "Controlled Airspace".... Restricted is Restricted regardless who/what you are.

Part 101 notifies if within 5 miles (As stated above Class B needs approval)
Part 107 gets authorization depending on the actual type of airspace you're wanting to fly in.

Clear as mud yes?

Yes. And yes, I meant controlled airspace. I really need to start choosing my words correctly. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and FLYBOYJ
Yes. And yes, I meant controlled airspace. I really need to start choosing my words correctly. Thanks for pointing it out.

Not a problem. It's easy (way too easy unfortunately) to get words mixed up when talking "Aviation". I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Safe Flights :)
Allen

And using the wrong terms is what causes some of the confusion in this site. Giving the FAA a little bit if a flyer here.

I often refrain from responding with answers here for fear of using the wrong terminology and causing more confusion. Glad there are a few folks out there like yourself that are very good at clarifying the muddy waters.

And using the wrong terms is what causes some of the confusion in this site. Giving the FAA a little bit if a flyer here.

I often refrain from responding with answers here for fear of using the wrong terminology and causing more confusion. Glad there are a few folks out there like yourself that are very good at clarifying the muddy waters.

Let's just say I've made MORE than my fair share of "muddy water" over the years LOL!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72