Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

IMG_1493000859.088791.jpg

New drones transport Canada recommends as safe

Reactions: jwmcgrath
Here's an interesting perspective on one aspect of the drone ministerial order I got from a guy in the Canadian Forces in a position to know.

The order states in part that a UAV must be operated no closer than 75m from "spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft."

I was at an event where, among other things, a group of about 60 people wanted a group photo from the air. From 75m they'd be specks. I expressed my concern. Here was his interpretation: take the shot. Everyone in the group photo is "associated with the operation of the aircraft." They aren't bystanders or spectators.

I can see some merit in that. All you need to do is elevate the people nearby to an "association" with the drone and you're good. If they're willing accomplices no problem. Mere onlookers: trouble. The pilot is not the only one associated with its operation.

Huttcraft I think the point there is that as long as there is no one to complain or tell you most likely won't get charged but you are still breaking the law even if you paint the grey line thicker

What are the statistics on drone damage to aircraft, motor vehicles etc.
My neighbor hit a land mobile Canadian goose crossing the road last fall and it took out his grill and radiator. Another source of information could come from Airline polo Capt. Sully?.
Our local airport fires " wiz bangs " at the flocks of seagulls and crows, on and around the runways. I guess the birds are exempted from the 9 km run.

Huttcraft I think the point there is that as long as there is no one to complain or tell you most likely won't get charged but you are still breaking the law even if you paint the grey line thicker

All true... if the gathered crowd is all in agreement that they want the picture taken, then they aren't likely to complain...

But that can and does change if something went wrong and someone was injured. Suddenly their "compliance" fades...

Not only that, but it's still illegal to do something illegal even if everyone around is in agreement.

Don't forget, the 75m is "lateral"...

Such a mess.

Rumour, I read possibly from a member here, Canadian rules / law, MAY be modified in June.

Rumour, I read possibly from a member here, Canadian rules / law, MAY be modified in June.

Yes, that's true. The new laws were already expected in June; what prompted all this is an "interim order" issued by the transport minister until the new rules become effective June... which he has the power to do, as he describes, when he perceives an imminent danger.

Email I sent to Marc Garneau today:

I sent you an email on March 17 regarding the new drone rules. As of today’s date I have not heard back from Minister Garneau.

If you have been following the flood news from Quebec and Ontario you will have seen a lot of drone footage on CBC, CTV, etc. Essentially all of that drone footage is illegal under the new drone rules. That is because drones are not allowed to fly within 75 meters (laterally - not above, that doesn’t count) of buildings, people and animals.

As I see it the government has 3 possible choices.

1. They can prosecute the obvious breaking of these laws. It would be interesting to see the public reaction to that.
2. They can ignore the obvious breaking of these laws. If they did would be interesting to see how they could prosecute others in the future.
3. They can modify these overreaching laws.

One other observation. Laws must be proportionate to the threat. Every day metal vehicles weighing thousands to tens of thousands of kilograms regularly pass within a few meters of buildings, other vehicles, animals and people. To restrict a 250 gram drone to a distance of 75 meters (246 ft) seems to be dramatic overkill.

These rules really need to be loosened.

"If" the news agency's mentioned above taking footage of the floods have valid SFOC's then they are not breaking the rules and having a valid SFOC would mean they are insured.

I can't wait to see improvements to the rules in June I really hope it's not delayed.

"If" the news agency's mentioned above taking footage of the floods have valid SFOC's then they are not breaking the rules and having a valid SFOC would mean they are insured.

I can't wait to see improvements to the rules in June I really hope it's not delayed.

Take a look at Weather Channel and others that people have uploaded from recreational drones. Certain those did not have valid SFOC's.

Agreed. Prolonging the inevitable will just make it more annoying.

I'm hoping the interim rules were particularly extreme so that whatever comes out is less restrictive and more acceptable.

There's always hope, right?'

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik