Recreational drone now illegal in most of Canada...

No it was just two guys at the local office here not higher in the decision making

Sounds like they've probably been asked that question before and asked their superiors, and were told no, that's not a loophole. So they are passing that message along but really have no idea how that terminology is enforceable. Thanks for the reply!

Comes down to individual cases, and who complained, and opinions of everyone from the person who complained, the police, the local and national transport Canada officials, public, local officials, property and building owners,the intent of the lastly pilot. That is just if you get caught. It does not mean that you are not breaking the laws. If you fly your drone in Canada you are breaking the law in the spirit of these new laws. The intent of the terminology is to address previous issues and occurrences.

IMG_1491845267.423082.jpg

So as it stands right now this DOES NOT APPLY TO DRONES.

Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft - Transport Canada

Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model Aircraft

Interpretation

Definitions

1 (1)
"unmanned air vehicle means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft, that is designed to fly without a human operator on board. (véhicule aérien non habité)"

Application

Recreational Purposes

3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Interim Order applies in respect of model aircraft having a total weight of more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds) but not more than 35 Kg (77.2 pounds).

(2) It does not apply to
a.unmanned air vehicles
; and
b.model aircraft operated at events organized by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) or at airfields located in a zone administered by MAAC or a MAAC club.
Hate to burst yer bubble, but all that says is it does not apply to uavs or model aircraft at maac events.

Hate to burst yer bubble, but all that says is it does not apply to uavs or model aircraft at maac events.

No, it's not his fault, I noticed it too but for some reason the part that says it does not include UAV's doesn't show up in the post, but it does when you quote it... glitch in the app maybe?

It DOES say on the web site "does not apply unmanned air vehicles".

6d7e7e8851565e7ab8514939f5254f85.jpg

Maybe it's because it's in bold. I've had that happen before.

When I read it without quoting it, as it was posted, I actually don't see the line about not applying to UAV's:

3b8719d5407e80cd18330888013cad5f.jpg

Weird.

Last edited:
Application
Recreational Purposes

3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), this Interim Order applies in respect of model aircraft having a total weight of more than 250 grams (0.55 pounds) but not more than 35 Kg (77.2 pounds).

(2) It does not apply to

a) unmanned air vehicles; and

b) model aircraft operated at events organized by the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada (MAAC) or at airfields located in a zone administered by MAAC or a MAAC club

Well, they put definitions to "clarify"-ish

[...]
model aircraft means an aircraft, the total weight of which does not exceed 35 kg (77.2 pounds), that is mechanically driven or launched into flight for recreational purposes and that is not designed to carry persons or other living creatures. (modèle réduit d’aéronef) (which include drones in Model Aircraft class)
[...]
unmanned air vehicle means a power-driven aircraft, other than a model aircraft (which now exclude drones from UAV class), that is designed to fly without a human operator on board. (véhicule aérien non habité)
[...]

Well, any unmanned aircraft that is not an model aircraft ;)
By these definitions, Millitary drones are UAVs since they are not "for recreational purposes" as stated in the model aircraft definition.
Also, any unmanned aircraft heavier than 35kg, is in the UAV class. (By these definitions)
The interim order doesn't effect them.

Anyone else notice that the new DJI Spark leaked last week is expected to have an all-up weight of 250 grams (eg, http://www.wetalkuav.com/dji-spark-rumor-updates-video/)? I'm thinking that may not be a coincidence. A capable quad with a fully-stabilized camera in that size range would surely be a ray of hope here...

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberStew
Anyone else notice that the new DJI Spark leaked last week is expected to have an all-up weight of 250 grams (eg, http://www.wetalkuav.com/dji-spark-rumor-updates-video/)? I'm thinking that may not be a coincidence. A capable quad with a fully-stabilized camera in that size range would surely be a ray of hope here...

Couldn't get the link to work but googled it... love it. Definitely interesting. And love the portability.

distance from buildings has decreased from 150m to 75m , airport distance still same 9km

This new law is far too onerous, confusing and in some cases ridiculous! Education and resonable requirements are the real ticket to success.

Just for clarification last years Transport Canada guideline indicated a 30m minimum lateral distance from people, structures or buildings. (4.2 (g)) Also the fines in that document were the same as the new guidelines so I have no idea why this new hacked up document was developed when the old one was just fine and worded properly! All one needed to do was make it law. So again why the change? Who changed it and why did they deviate from an already established guideline?

I can and have lived with that 30m distance as it realistic. As far animals all they need to say is don't "harass" animals which again is something that is pretty straight forward for clear thinking people. Last year while seeking permission to access a farmers land,the farmer went ballistic and shared a story of an inspire chasing his Elk herd a few weeks back, yes he was mad and had every reason to be! He still let me on his land though once he felt I was a responsible pilot.

The new law was tested in our fine city last week, someone decided they were going to fly their UAV down town (congested area) in our city to take pictures of the buildings, downtown happens to be less than a 1km from the Hospitals heli pad which he knew was there. He was reported by someone as the Stars Ambulance came in for a landing while he was flying. So the RCMP come and take his UAV away and a few day's later he's on the front page of the local newspaper apologizing for flying so close to the helipad, nothing said about flying downtown in congested area? Once he made the front page and apologized for endangering peoples lives the RCMP gave him his UAV back. Sounds like cheap advertising for the Transport Canada and the RCMP.

Why hasn't dji even attempted to support us/ fight these laws. They should have a team of lawyers combating this. Seems like they have been silenced.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl