Recovery after emergency stop with P4P

Reaction score
Hi, i think the title says it all. Is it possible (easy?) to recover / start the drone again after you make the emergency stop with the motors on the Phantom 4 Pro. This could be useful if you need to get out of the way really fast in an high altitude... but it would only be useful if you can recover the drone while its falling....
Are the any videos?
Thanks

Mostly no.. The speed it falls... gravity wise... Is to powerful for the drone to fight against it

Reactions: BCBasher
From what I've seen doing that with small to medium toy drones I wouldn't try it. Not sure what the phenomenon is called but even at full throttle the props just make a thumping sound and little to no lift. I've done it a bunch and sometimes it's fine if you have time to be smooth throttling up but most times it's a thud into the lawn.

Ive seen a video of a Mavic recover after csc. It went inverted, fell, then recovered before it hit the ground from no more than 200 ft. I imagine if a mavic can do it a phantom 4 can do it, perhaps not as quickly given the weight difference but the p4 is much more powerful than the mavic. If you can do it in the simulator than most likely you can do it in real life. I imagine you would have to csc to restart then full up left stick. Im about to see if it can be pulled off in the sim.

Reactions: BCBasher
It wont do it in the simulator. You use to could do a csc on the p3 simulator but you cant do it on the p4 sim. I dont know why. Maybe you cant do a csc in flight with the p4, i dont know.

If you believe this video... then it looks like it's been done. Skip to about the halfway point of the video for the relevant stuff.

Someone could do the math... but I find it unlikely the P4/P4P when falling (as it's pretty non-aerodynamic) would come close to a terminal velocity that would be higher than what the motors could handle.

I think the algorithms are even good enough, that it could recover when inverted/sideways.

I've seen this video too. I believe it to be real. I've see other videos where they've thrown the dji carrying case at it while in flight and it recovered pretty nicely.

Its not coming out of the air unless it hits something or has a failure. I dont see any amount of wind knocking it out of the sky. It may fly away but its not ever going to crash because it cant handle the wind. Hurricane winds perhaps but nothing you would want to fly in. Ive thrown quads 30 feet into the air, start the motors as its spinning in the air, and it will recover every time no problem. The p4 is no different. If a quad can recover from that they can recover from anything if given enough time. There are even algorithms that will allow controlled flight on 2 or 3 motors. I can only guess why dji hasnt incorporated this technology.

Reactions: scoobylou1530
I would not try it with my P4 but I'm sure a phantom can do it, they are like a cat when it comes to a fast recovery. I (we) have seen video where they crash in trees and flip and recover in about 3 feet, I have no idea how long it would take once the craft reaches terminal velocity. I cut out my syma X5 and it recovers amazingly fast for a toy (yes I still play with my syma, I try things I would never attempt with my P4) The IMU knows exactly the birds attitude and is programmed to maintain flight.

Reactions: Duchunter
okay cool thanks. I wouldnt want to try it with my p4p too, just thought would be interesting to know if someday neccesary

This should never need to be done and creates it's own additional hazard. If the altitude of the Phantom is so high, you should be able to see any "hazard" from a long way away. Regardless, there have probably been many errors made already. Making another one by losing control of the Phantom is not a good idea.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4