Recovering Phantom 3 Footage without Drone (its at the bottom of a lake)

Would you spend $150 to recover a drone that may or may not work again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
This morning my P3 was struck by a kamikaze bird and went down into 30ft freshwater lake. Props busted all I could do was gasp as it flipped trying to correct itself. I tried a few cheap attempts with line and hook and boogie board to swim out there with last known GPS coordinate (abt 100 ft offshore) with no success. tomorrow hiring a diver to acquire it as the water is too murky to free dive safely. Hopefully a two week drying period may be helpful. In the meantime I noticed in my flight log theres a cache of images and video, none the most amazing quality but was wondering if theres any access to those files without the drone and with some quality. The footage is gold which is why Im hiring a diver, but worst case scenario is there any way to download and still get the footage from the app? Also any way to download the actual flight data? Any help or suggestions once/if they do retrieve it would be greatly appreciated though I know its unlikely.

But more importantly. Is the bird OK?

[emoji16]. What's your display device? Yes you can retrieve the 720p video and the flight log. Exact instructions depend on device OS.

Reactions: Brad Pierce
unfortunately, bird did go down as well. not as many feathers as I thought but there were two splashes, one the drone, one the bird. Im running Iphone6 iOS. I noticed the video and am pleased with the quality for now. Im referring to the photos that are logged in the flight log on app, which is why i asked about downloading log, and obviously to see the specifics from impact into the plunge

Sad to hear about both birds. Perhaps after a few rounds of evolution, actual birds will learn to avoid our drones. [emoji33]

1). Connect your iPad to iTunes.
2). In iTunes, Select the Apps Section on your device.
3). On the right side of the iTunes screen scroll to the very bottom of the screen until you see the File Sharing section. If you don't see File Sharing...you didn't scroll the right pane far enough to the bottom.
4). Select the DJI application
5). On the right side of this screen, you will see the DJI documents.
6). Drag and drop the FlightRecords folder onto your desktop. You only have the option to drag the entire folder...not specific Flight Records.
7). You can similarly download video / photo cache folders. Not at my computer at the moment so can't verify the cache folder name.

You will now have your flight records locally on your computer. They are not readable in this format, but you can convert them to a readable format:

1) Find the correct Flight Record text file on your desktop.
2) Go to djilogs.com
3) Upload the associated Flight Record Text file

Your can now convert this flight record to a readable format (Comprehensive CSV) and read it in Excel for example, or into a Google Earth format...or both. The Google Earth format will display your complete flight path in 3 dimensional space. If you don't have Google Earth, you can now download the PRO version for free: just use GEPFREE as the License Key.

In the Comprehensive CSV file you can see the exact last reported Latitude/Longitude. That may help with your recovery.

Last edited:
This morning my P3 was struck by a kamikaze bird and went down into 30ft freshwater lake. Props busted all I could do was gasp as it flipped trying to correct itself. I tried a few cheap attempts with line and hook and boogie board to swim out there with last known GPS coordinate (abt 100 ft offshore) with no success. tomorrow hiring a diver to acquire it as the water is too murky to free dive safely. Hopefully a two week drying period may be helpful. In the meantime I noticed in my flight log theres a cache of images and video, none the most amazing quality but was wondering if theres any access to those files without the drone and with some quality. The footage is gold which is why Im hiring a diver, but worst case scenario is there any way to download and still get the footage from the app? Also any way to download the actual flight data? Any help or suggestions once/if they do retrieve it would be greatly appreciated though I know its unlikely.
Sorry for your loss, thats bad luck.

Thank you very much! This should help greatly! Any chance of recovering stills from app or logs?
Yeah...just as FlightRecords are a folder, so should Photo/video caches (as per #6-7 above). Once connected through iTunes, you should have access.

Sorry about birds. Please post video!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks Taz!

In terms of losing the drone it was terrible luck. I've looked this up all day and it seems to happen frequently. I'm still recovering it with plans for an instant fresh(er) water wash and taking it apart and a two week dry period before thinking about powering on with a new battery. I really hadn't found a recent post like this with lightbridge in play. Thanks for your help and wishes guys.

Awesome. Thanks Taz!

In terms of losing the drone it was terrible luck. I've looked this up all day and it seems to happen frequently. I'm still recovering it with plans for an instant fresh(er) water wash and taking it apart and a two week dry period before thinking about powering on with a new battery. I really hadn't found a recent post like this with lightbridge in play. Thanks for your help and wishes guys.

Rice is used on Cell phones and other Electronics to pull moisture out.
Thought I would toss that at you... Terrible way to go. :oops:

UPDATE:
Here's google earth file uploaded. Pretty amazing to see how accurate it is. Sort of hurts a bit more now that I see what a smart machine this IS sitting at the bottom of a lake. If you'll notice top of the board has a vote. Right now 50/50 and not sure why the "no" answers are being posted, probably because its unlikely to be salvaged as a working machine anymore. Let me know thoughts.

Also was unable to recover still images but do have the 720 video files, though not all of them esp bird attack.
23662-6fbc189a12cde5e1d10bfc55615b1495.jpg

Sorry for your lost bird ( both of them!). I wouldn't imagine any chance of it working after being submerged that long, water tends to penetrate given that sort of time. Hope you get flying again soon.

Reactions: Justin Namon
Sorry for your lost bird ( both of them!). I wouldn't imagine any chance of it working after being submerged that long, water tends to penetrate given that sort of time. Hope you get flying again soon.
Got it, I'll save the $150 towards my next one. Such a shame. Also someone posted about carbon fiber props? Do you think they'd hold up an impact mid air? I'd say the saddest sound was the gyro trying to correct itself as it fell. :/

Got it, I'll save the $150 towards my next one. Such a shame. Also someone posted about carbon fiber props? Do you think they'd hold up an impact mid air? I'd say the saddest sound was the gyro trying to correct itself as it fell. :/

I couldn't say mate as I don't have experience with cf props. If the bird unbalanced the p3 via impact rather than taking out a prop then I doubt it'd matter what props you're running. I've seen a few p3's regain their position after bird strike but I think you have more chances the higher you are. I have an eagle on my property scoping my p3 now and then, I'm just ready to ascend at warp speed if he plucks up the courage! Sorry again for the loss mate.

What makes you think that a diver can just find it? Are you paying $150 only if found, or are you paying $150 for the diver to try to find it?

To dry, you're first supposed to wash it in distilled water. Dry over rice for a while. There is a chance that it will work. I don't know how high, but there is a chance.

Did it splash into the water like a rock, or fell in more gracefully? Look at Ebay results for crashed P3s. There's some terrible P3s out there that seem to have destroyed everything but still fetching a fair bit of money. Just the shell by itself is worth some money - if you can actually recover it.

What makes you think that a diver can just find it? Are you paying $150 only if found, or are you paying $150 for the diver to try to find it?

To dry, you're first supposed to wash it in distilled water. Dry over rice for a while. There is a chance that it will work. I don't know how high, but there is a chance.

Did it splash into the water like a rock, or fell in more gracefully? Look at Ebay results for crashed P3s. There's some terrible P3s out there that seem to have destroyed everything but still fetching a fair bit of money. Just the shell by itself is worth some money - if you can actually recover it.

I have exact GPS location as it fell like a rock flipping on itself. I still have the spot marked on my app as it won't leave. I used waterproof case to swim out until my blue dot hovered over it. Still there's about a 10ft area around last known spot. So i wouldn't be sending diver in vain. I have a very accurate GPS coordinate in flight log to help along. I'm still in the air (I wish) about sending him out. Will update at the end of today. Thanks for suggestions

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl