Recovering from a bad crash

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I took my bird up in a wind I shouldn't have been flying in. I was flying in a large field that goes to forest preserves. Lost LOS and started to go to RTH. Screen started to be goofy and kept losing connection. This went on for 15 minutes. Could not get it back and not sure where it was. Short story I ran out of power and came down and touched a treetop and then fell about 60 feet. Used "Find my Phantom" and went into the forest and found it right where it said it was! Alas, bent arm and worse, bent gimbal arm.

Got it home and knew right away I needed a new body. When I opened the shell a piece of the ESC board fell out. It was bent and broken. Got online to Helihobby and ordered a new body shell ($60) and new ESC board ($20). While waiting for the parts to come I started taking all the guts out of the shell. There a Youtube videos to help you a little bit. Big tip I got on this forum. Take a picture of the opened body. Print it. Then when you pull screws out you can place them where they came from. Took the gimbal off, not feeling good about the bent arm. A big tip from me. Use your cellphone to take pictures of every part before you unplug a plug or take out a screw. Then print out all the pictures 8x 11. Parts arrived and today I went at it. I never could have reassembled it into the new shell without the pictures. There are so many jacks. I wish I could load all the pictures up on the forum for other people to use. Anyhow after about 3 hours I had meticulously reassembled the Phantom into its new shell. Put the battery in and it started and the blades all spun.

Now the gimbal. There are just 4 screws to remove and the cover comes off. You are not going to be able to remove the gimbal arm from the post it twists on. So carefully I put an adjustable wrench on the bottom of the arm (it's shaped like an L) and then another bigger wrench around the body of the arm and twisted it back to perfect shape (it's aluminum not steel). Reassebled the gimbal and then mounted it back on and plugged the jacks back in. Turned it all back on. Gimbal snapped to attention. Pushed on the arrow on the monitor and the camera went up and down. Connected it to the computer and brought it up to spec.

Took it outside for a flight, kinda of nervous. Camera on and up it went. Been testing all afternoon and it is in perfect condition.
I am really proud of myself accomplishing this! :D

So you can come back from a fatal crash. It just take a lot of patience.

Good job, mate! It gives you a whole new perspective & appreciation of the complexity of this thing when you have to completely strip & reassemble everything.

Thats great. Not an easy task at all.You should feel very proud.

A few questions?

I have a very slight bend in my gimbal arm and have been tempted to bend it back. I've just been waiting for replacement stock in case I break it and I could live with it. Sounds like I should give it a go.
Did you take off those 4 screws under the base plate of the gimbal?

Also, I had a bent arm and had to disassemble a motor and an electrical board so I could heat gun the arm back. Which worked. However the 3 LED lights in that arm have since fallen off.
Is the ESC board the board that is in the arms that the motors connect to? Do you have to order the correct one e.g motor direction and LED?

Thanks

The ESC board in each arm is identical. The motor direction is controlled by the way you solder the motor to the pads so, if replacing one, pay close attention to the three motor wires. The red & yellow ones are reversed depending on CW or CCW.

Dirty Bird said:
The ESC board in each arm is identical. The motor direction is controlled by the way you solder the motor to the pads so, if replacing one, pay close attention to the three motor wires. The red & yellow ones are reversed depending on CW or CCW.

CW, CCW???
Thanks Dirty Bird.

Dirty Bird said:
Clockwise or counter-clockwise motor.

HAHAHA, It's late and I'm tired.

Is the ESC board in the Vision+ the same as the Vision? I have only seen the Vision boards for sale.
Also are they the same shell?

Double-D said:
Is the ESC board in the Vision+ the same as the Vision? I have only seen the Vision boards for sale.

The ESC is the same in all Phantom 2: Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, Phantom 2 Vision plus.
The original Phantom (plain) is different.

Nice job, man... It's good to know you can put a badly busted up Phantom back in the air. Great advice on taking photos of each step...

Thanks...
-slinger

Double-D said:
Thats great. Not an easy task at all.You should feel very proud.

A few questions?

I have a very slight bend in my gimbal arm and have been tempted to bend it back. I've just been waiting for replacement stock in case I break it and I could live with it. Sounds like I should give it a go.
Did you take off those 4 screws under the base plate of the gimbal?

Also, I had a bent arm and had to disassemble a motor and an electrical board so I could heat gun the arm back. Which worked. However the 3 LED lights in that arm have since fallen off.
Is the ESC board the board that is in the arms that the motors connect to? Do you have to order the correct one e.g motor direction and LED?

Thanks

You can remove the gimbal with 4 screws and unplug 3 jacks. Take a picture of everything you do before you do it. Once gimbal is off there are 4 screws on it. Remove and the covers lift off, carefully. Now you will see that entire arm. Kinda of unwind the tape a bit, but be super careful of it. If you harm it, the gimbal is a souvenir of your better days with the drone. I put the 1 adjustable wrench on the bottom of the arm and then a bigger on the long arm. Now I justed twisted it till it got back in shape. My new videos are perfect..
Good Luck.

Double-D said:
Dirty Bird said:

They are not the same. Visions are 1 of 2 color. The Plus is the same all around. See what you learn from repairing one ;)

Hovtech said:
Double-D said:
Dirty Bird said:

They are not the same. Visions are 1 of 2 color. The Plus is the same all around. See what you learn from repairing one ;)

Thanks heaps for the replies.
I can only see the Vision ESC board on Helihobby?

I also crashed and replaced the shell and bent the gimbal arm back into place. The bird flew perfectly but the gimbal/camera assembly did not function. So I ordered a replacement assembly from Daves Motors for $679. It arrives Friday. I also got an email from AlleRC today saying they have the assemblies in stock now. I took the opportunity to give my new Phantom a custom paint job. Being a Georgia Tech graduate and because of the sound the Phantom makes, I chose this theme.

Attachments

• 14 June Buzz Paint Job comp.jpg
    14 June Buzz Paint Job comp.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 356
fastsmiles said:
Good job, maybe you could put the photos together in a youtube video for others to learn from?

i made some instructional videos on how to dis/assemble the Phantom in case you want to give it a paint job. Here are the links in case you are interested.

DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 1 - Disassemble - http://youtu.be/6Fyo2GAeU2w
DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 2 - Paint - http://youtu.be/2thBdN6kmgI
DJI Phantom Paintjob Part 3 - Reassemble - http://youtu.be/5hnerDEXIUk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie