Recourse against LA and WeHo Drone Ordinances

Again and for the last time, only the FAA can regulate something that is in the air despite any number of local laws that may suggest a city or state can do so. However, one can still be charged under local laws that overreach their authority and have to be challenged to be overturned.

And the FAA creates regulations based on the guidance of laws passed by Congress. Please see the FAA Modernization Act of 2012 and the AIRR bill currently in Congress.

Speculation is fine but please refrain from doing so excessively.

The link I posted indicates his attorney is going to challenge the law. Good news!

Again and for the last time, only the FAA can regulate something that is in the air
I absolutely agree with this statement "again and for the last time".

What I am saying is that it is in the states rights to set whatever constitutional laws they want including "drones are completely illegal in the state of California".

I get that once they are flying, all FAA rules might be the only thing that applies but before they fly, I am not so sure and not sure how you are.

Tomorrow I will be asking my brother who is a constitutional lawyer and his answer will be the correct one.

I'm not disagreeing with you, you are just more positive about the anscelary things than I am such as the states rights.

AGAIN, FAA controls the laws of airspace but it might be up to the state and townships to augment those rules before flight.

Is the DEA marijuana federal laws va state laws not proof that maybe that's true to you to at least some degree?

My concern with the charges filled in this case is the part about flying close to the heliport. I live in LA county and I fly within the city limits quite a bit. Heliports are everywhere (most unused i believe) and the entire city will basically be on lock down for flying using the 5 mile contact rule. Check out the FAA app, they list all the heliports, most other apps I've seen do not. According the the FAA rules you only need to inform an airport if you are within five miles AND they have a tower to contact. I have yet to find a contact for any of the heliports. The city ordinance is vague on this and seems to me they will use that to help win a conviction when they can. I think the auto pilot apps will be next on their radar because technically the operator does not have control of the aircraft.

Am I off base with this?

On a side note, i was flying at the port of LA yesterday fairly close to the Port Police department and and a Sheriffs helicopter circled me once and then left. I saw him coming so I dropped down a bit so he knew i was aware of him and kept filming, no problem. I was never higher than about 250', the police station is on the other side of this ship I was filming.
DJI_0006.JPG

Peruse the OTHER articles on the page and decide for yourself the 'journalism' cred of Yahoo....

Agreed about Yahoo's journalism cred but regardless, it's out there on the front page for everyone to see, right, wrong or otherwise. I guess my point was there are idiots out there that will make this hard for the rest of the rule abiding pilots. Flying over military bases is dumb.

There are few things worse than a liberal CA politicians mindset.. Their attitude is to regulate the hell out of everything until eventually no one is interested anymore.. I've seen this many times in my 40 years as an LA resident lol. Hopefully the FAA will speak up to individual states and shut 'me down as far as them making their own airspace rules..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: snowghost

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1