Recording video with flight information?

Reaction score
I see videos on youtube all of the time where there is flight info in the video such as altitude, speed, distance of flight. Is there an app that does this, or are people overlaying data from a screen capture?

eurostylin said:
I see videos on youtube all of the time where there is flight info in the video such as altitude, speed, distance of flight. Is there an app that does this, or are people overlaying data from a screen capture?

Knowing that there are other ways of capturing and saving the images and videos which appear on a tablet using apps available out there for both Android and iOS devices, meaning that one can capture and replay the images and video which appear on the tablet when the DJI Vision app is run, for example, using iRec or Shou Screen Recorder, the following is how I do it, but I am sure that there are other ways which are likely more efficient.

It can be done with the FPV V3 app. But you have to jump through a few hoops to do it.

That app will save the telemetry from the Flight Tracker for each flight that you make onto your iPad.

You have to retrieve that from your iPad and then get it to your computer. This can be done connecting your iPad to your computer and using Quicktime to make a "New Movie Recording".

This will be saved as a .mov file. I used MP4 converter software to convert that to an MP4 file. I use Free MP4 Converter.

Next you'll need that flight's video from the SIM card in the Phantom's camera, and you'll need to save that video onto your computer.

You'll then need video editing software which will allow you to overlay video. Make a picture in picture, or a video in video. I use VideoPad Video Editor Free because it's free.

The speed of both of your videos will need to match. Otherwise one will finish before the other. Not good. The frame rates need to match.

You'll have to edit and position your video overlay so that it does not obstruct too much of your primary video, and you'll have to make it large enough so that the characters, the numbers and letters can be read.

When you get done with all of that, it will have to be converted into your finished video.

Vas Deferens said:
eurostylin said:

Knowing that there are other ways of capturing and saving the images and videos which appear on a tablet using apps available out there for both Android and iOS devices, meaning that one can capture and replay the images and video which appear on the tablet when the DJI Vision app is run, for example, using iRec or Shou Screen Recorder, the following is how I do it, but I am sure that there are other ways which are likely more efficient.

It can be done with the FPV V3 app. But you have to jump through a few hoops to do it.

That app will save the telemetry from the Flight Tracker for each flight that you make onto your iPad.

You have to retrieve that from your iPad and then get it to your computer. This can be done connecting your iPad to your computer and using Quicktime to make a "New Movie Recording".

This will be saved as a .mov file. I used MP4 converter software to convert that to an MP4 file. I use Free MP4 Converter.

Next you'll need that flight's video from the SIM card in the Phantom's camera, and you'll need to save that video onto your computer.

You'll then need video editing software which will allow you to overlay video. Make a picture in picture, or a video in video. I use VideoPad Video Editor Free because it's free.

The speed of both of your videos will need to match. Otherwise one will finish before the other. Not good. The frame rates need to match.

You'll have to edit and position your video overlay so that it does not obstruct too much of your primary video, and you'll have to make it large enough so that the characters, the numbers and letters can be read.

When you get done with all of that, it will have to be converted into your finished video.

My god thats just complicating!!!!☺
The videos you see are made using a software called dashware that is now free to use... Not that i think you deserve the tip.

I have a Vision+ what I use is the Vision+ Utility Pro app on Android. This boosts the power of the device but also has a logging feature (only logging while in WiFi range). Otherwise you can buy A $100+ FlyTrex system.

That exports the flight data to CSV, you can then use Dashware (Free / Windows Only) to overlay that flight data onto your videos.

kickthefences said:
My god thats just complicating!!!!☺
The videos you see are made using a software called dashware that is now free to use... Not that i think you deserve the tip.

Well deserving or not, thanks anyway.

I use a Mac, as do doubtless many others reading this site. Is there a native version of Dashware for Mac OS?

Also, in looking at the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoicZxU ... e=youtu.be, well "complicating" is a relative term. ☺

CyberCitizen said:
I have a Vision+ what I use is the Vision+ Utility Pro app on Android. This boosts the power of the device but also has a logging feature (only logging while in WiFi range). Otherwise you can buy A $100+ FlyTrex system.

That exports the flight data to CSV, you can then use Dashware (Free / Windows Only) to overlay that flight data onto your videos.

You gave the best response so far. Only part you messed up on is the info about Flytrex. They do have the Flytrex Core which is $49.99.

Any way to get a software-based flight tracker that can export the information to a format that Dashware will take? I hear that FPV Booster v3 is going to support export in the near future.. Maybe that'll be the ticket. I have purchased it but I'd really like to post the telemetry the way you can with Dashware, rather than a big picture-in-picture display.

The Flytrex Core is tempting at that low price (and light weight!) but hey, if FPV Booster v3 is right around the corner from offering CSV exports of flight data, I can hang on. ;-)

I use ultimate flight and dashware.
I had a pretty big learning curve in the beginning but I'm a lot better at it now. The time consuming part is the video rendering. I start it and go do something else for a while. I created my own template so it's actually not to bad now.
Bunch o goofy flights here. Youtube.com/sdtag
I was having compass issues and the only way I even knew about it was from my flight logs data.

Yeah I've heard of ultimate flight... Unfortunately I have all iOS devices.. First time I've been envious of Android heh. Hoping there is another solution out there someone knows of that supports iOS?

might be time to go to the other side.
Get a Samsung 8" tablet - you won't be sorry.
I tried to save a buck and got an Acer 8" tablet. It turns out it doesn't have a compass so it won't handle POI, follow me, etc. all the fun stuff. Samsung is the way to go.
I don't know if Dashware is available on apple. It might really be time to go to the dark side.
Android and Windows. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm pretty diehard (like before Apple was popular) so it's not happening yet.. ;-) I run Windows on my Mac no prob but can't get around the Android thing. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20