Recording video in log color

Reaction score
Anyone here have much experience recording video with the LOG setting? Apparently this makes the video colors and contrast more flat so you have greater range for color correction when editing. Anyone here use this setting frequently? Just curious how well it works.

I shoot everything in log. It increases the colour gamut and also increases the dynamic range of the image. You can pull lots of detail out of high lights and low lights.

Reactions: loganboyd
I processed the 2 short clips I had. I've been chasing bunny rabbits with my P3 as they will let me hover right on top of them before they move. There's quite a few coyotes in the area so I'm surprised to see as many rabbits as I do.

Here's a clip of a coyote walking behind my house that was picked up on my security cameras from this past weekend.

Here's the clip shot in 4K30 Log Color and edited in Adobe Premiere Pro CC.

I'm flying purely FPV without LOS in both scenes in this clip but I'm just a couple houses down from mine and know the landscape very well as I walk it daily to go to the mailbox.
I LOVE the VPS system as I feel very confident to be able to hover at 2-3 feet off the ground without LOS and know that it's not going to dip into the ground.

Yes log mode is great for pulling out colors I am waiting for someone to create a LUT for the P3 Camera...there are some LUT's for the Inspire camera but I have not given them a try yet in Final Cut Pro..I will post some pics when i get around to doing a comparison.

Yes log mode is great for pulling out colors I am waiting for someone to create a LUT for the P3 Camera...there are some LUT's for the Inspire camera but I have not given them a try yet in Final Cut Pro..I will post some pics when i get around to doing a comparison.

Have you ever tried these LUT's? https://www.motionvfx.com/mplugs-68.html

I was looking into them and they seemed pretty cool but no idea how well they'd work with P3 footage. I'm assuming tweaks would need to be made no matter what camera you use.. kind of like a Lightroom preset.

The LUT's made for the inspire will work great on the pro camera.

I've been using Filmconvert with the GH4 Cine D profile and have been getting good results. The log profile definitely adds to the overall dynamic range, but I'm not entirely sure it's a true log curve. These shots were all graded with Filmconvert on the log footage -

Last edited:
Reactions: dataway
I've been using Filmconvert with the GH4 Cine D profile and have been getting good results. The log profile definitely adds to the overall dynamic range, but I'm not entirely sure it's a true log curve. These shots were all graded with Filmconvert on the log footage -

Wow great video Tron_X...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj