Recording Home point-during start up?

Reaction score
Hi flyers...Another Newbie question and YES, I have read the manual several times...But if everything was perfectly clear this forum wouldn't be of such tremendous value, so thank you in advance.
I just want to clarify....After going thru complete start up procedure and getting the second set of flashing green lights, I have been performing compass calibration (which I understand when and when I don't need to do)...Am I correct to assume that the HOME point is recorded during the start up procedure, NOT during the compass calibration as you don't always have to perform the compass calibration. Therefore, if you didn't need to perform a calibration you would still get Home Position recorded. Am I correct?
Steve

Yes, that is correct. There is no need to carry out compass calibration every time and the home point must be recorded (which is an independent automatic process separate from compass calibration.)

pianoflyer said:
Hi flyers...Another Newbie question and YES, I have read the manual several times...But if everything was perfectly clear this forum wouldn't be of such tremendous value, so thank you in advance.
I just want to clarify....After going thru complete start up procedure and getting the second set of flashing green lights, I have been performing compass calibration (which I understand when and when I don't need to do)...Am I correct to assume that the HOME point is recorded during the start up procedure, NOT during the compass calibration as you don't always have to perform the compass calibration. Therefore, if you didn't need to perform a calibration you would still get Home Position recorded. Am I correct?
Steve

The Home Point is actually stored once you apply throttle at take-off.

Always take-off with full power and once you reach 10 or so feet release the throttle and verify hover.

Perform small direction controls and release to see if the a/c is operating correctly before setting off on a flight.

pianoflyer said:
Steve

Note that if you do compass calibration after Home Point setting (second set of green lights), you are likely to temporarily lose lock of some satellites as you tip the GPS reciever forward.

If you have to do a compass calibration, it is probably best to do it before you do anything else.

N017RW said:
The Home Point is actually stored once you apply throttle at take-off.

Always take-off with full power and once you reach 10 or so feet release the throttle and verify hover.

Perform small direction controls and release to see if the a/c is operating correctly before setting off on a flight.

agree with this except I thought it did home-lock when you spin the props up, not when you "apply throttle" . minor nuance I know, but... yea the rest of it 100%. full throttle take off, check for hover and flight controls quick before flying off should be standard

Fair enough, this is where I read the quote below the link:

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Home_Lock

"STEP1: Record home point: The home point mentioned here is the same home point of enhanced Fail-Safe. There are two ways to record here:

a) Automatically: Before takeoff, current position of multi-rotor will be saved as home point by MC automatically when you push the throttle stick first time after 6 or more GPS satellites have been found ( red light blinks once or no blinking) for 8 seconds.

b) Manually: When 6 or more GPS satellites are found ( red light blinks once or no blinking), you can slide X2 channel switch between two positions quickly 3 to 5 times to record current position of multi-rotor as new home point."

I know I've read it elsewhere and most likely the truth is somewhere in-between :lol:

N017RW said:

"STEP1: Record home point: The home point mentioned here is the same home point of enhanced Fail-Safe. There are two ways to record here:

a) Automatically: Before takeoff, current position of multi-rotor will be saved as home point by MC automatically when you push the throttle stick first time after 6 or more GPS satellites have been found ( red light blinks once or no blinking) for 8 seconds.

b) Manually: When 6 or more GPS satellites are found ( red light blinks once or no blinking), you can slide X2 channel switch between two positions quickly 3 to 5 times to record current position of multi-rotor as new home point."

I know I've read it elsewhere and most likely the truth is somewhere in-between :lol:

That is what it says in the Naza-M guide too. Is it different if you are operating it in Phantom mode? This is what it says in the Phantom User Manual.

When the aircraft is initializing the Ready to Fly status, the aircraft will record the current GPS coordinates as
the home point. It is recommended to lift off only after Ready to Fly status is confirmed for the safety of being
able to fly back to home point successfully in case the Failsafe mode is initiated.

:?: :?:

Marlin009 said:
N017RW said:

That is what it says in the Naza-M guide too. Is it different if you are operating it in Phantom mode? This is what it says in the Phantom User Manual.

When the aircraft is initializing the Ready to Fly status, the aircraft will record the current GPS coordinates as
the home point. It is recommended to lift off only after Ready to Fly status is confirmed for the safety of being
able to fly back to home point successfully in case the Failsafe mode is initiated.

:?: :?:

that is to me a generic response without the details as described in the Naza manual and the link referenced above.

It might record it but the missing piece is when does it store the home point in Phantom mode. It might be different but getting a clear conscience answer from DJI is what you are asking.... Don't hold your breath

N017RW said:

ah ok thanks. I guess it doesn't really matter if it's props-on or first time you actually give it throttle.. who would move it with the props on?

in other news, I'm on 3.08 and I've tried many times to reset my home point the air by toggling S2 (that's the left toggle on the remote, yes?) a bunch of times and it's never worked for me... at least I never saw a blink code indicating any change.
Have you guys actively tested that? should the lights blink fast again or otherwise indicate that home-point has been dynamically set?

QYV said:
in other news, I'm on 3.08 and I've tried many times to reset my home point the air by toggling S2 (that's the left toggle on the remote, yes?) a bunch of times and it's never worked for me... at least I never saw a blink code indicating any change.
Have you guys actively tested that? should the lights blink fast again or otherwise indicate that home-point has been dynamically set?
Assuming you are in IOC mode, you are toggling it (5-8 times) between CL and HL and then leaving it for in HL until the green lights flash on the rear arms ?

Hughie said:
QYV said:
Assuming you are in IOC mode, you are toggling it (5-8 times) between CL and HL and then leaving it for in HL until the green lights flash on the rear arms ?

negative, not IOC mode. Fly flight computer is in Naza Mode, but I have not enabled IOC because I don't care/need them. I haven't read anywhere (maybe I just overlooked it, I'm lazy) that IOC was actually necessary for dynamic home point reset.

Yes it IS the left toggle with those controls, but mine doesn't do anything since I don't have IOC ticked in the software.

QYV said:
Hughie said:
QYV said:

negative, not IOC mode. Fly flight computer is in Naza Mode, but I have not enabled IOC because I don't care/need them. I haven't read anywhere (maybe I just overlooked it, I'm lazy) that IOC was actually necessary for dynamic home point reset.
No I think it is just that the procedure is different - but I have not tried both. I *think* in NON IOC mode the toggle is between IOC Off and HL rather than between CL and HL, and then, leave in HL waiting for the green flashes.

I know it sounds counter-intuative but to Manually reset the Home Lock location, the S2 sequence is :
CL-HL-CL 3 to 5 times.

For Course Lock it's: Off-CL-Off 3 to 5 times.

N017RW said:
I know it sounds counter-intuative but to Manually reset the Home Lock location, the S2 sequence is :
CL-HL-CL 3 to 5 times.

For Course Lock it's: Off-CL-Off 3 to 5 times.

I know what you're talking about, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to reset CL or HL stuff, I'm trying to reset the RTH "home point" (and altitude) during flight... the feature they introduced so you can for example reset you home point HEIGHT (for the +20m when in RTH) up above nearby obstacles.

It's the first bit in the section of the P2 wiki called :Go Home procedures:
DJI wiki said:
Quickly switching the S2 switch of the remote controller from upper most to lower most positions 3 to 5 times will reset the home point of PHANTOM 2. When the home point is set, you will see a series of rapid green blinks on the LED Flight Indicator. The definition of “home point” is:
i) The place the PHANTOM 2 returns to when the control signal is lost.
ii) The home point is used to calculate the horizontal distance between you and the aircraft, the distance will be displayed on the screen if using a wireless video transmission module.

notice they don't call the switch positions "CL" or HL" or anything... they just say uppermost to lowermost.. to me that insinuates those switch positions aren't necessarily CL or HL or whatever

but hey I could be wrong.. just trying to figure it out

I hear ya.

Doing that also runs the risk of re-setting both CL & HL.
Just an oversight in translation.

Resetting the Home Lock point in flight will reset the height for the added altitude on return.

But hey I'm not with the latest firmware so some of these things may change???
Is there not an option in the P2 Assistant to set RTH?

N017RW said:
I hear ya.

Resetting the Home Lock point in flight will reset the height for the added altitude on return.

since I don't even have IOC enabled, I don't care what it does to CL/HL... but yes I know what you mean the "home lock point" and "home point" are the same thing.

There isn't an option to set the height of RTH... there's a hard over/under of 20m from home point altitude... if you're above that, it'll stay at it's current height then RTH. if you're under 20m, it'll ascend to 20m and RTH.

what I want, is what dynamic home point was designed for... if I have obstacles like trees nearby that are say 20m high... I want to take my Phantom up to a safe height, then re-set the home point to that height so that if/when RTH kicks in, it's +20m from THERE, not from the ground where I took off.

QYV said:
N017RW said:
I hear ya.

since I don't even have IOC enabled, I don't care what it does to CL/HL... but yes I know what you mean the "home lock point" and "home point" are the same thing.

There isn't an option to set the height of RTH... there's a hard over/under of 20m from home point altitude... if you're above that, it'll stay at it's current height then RTH. if you're under 20m, it'll ascend to 20m and RTH.

what I want, is what dynamic home point was designed for... if I have obstacles like trees nearby that are say 20m high... I want to take my Phantom up to a safe height, then re-set the home point to that height so that if/when RTH kicks in, it's +20m from THERE, not from the ground where I took off.

Maybe you're on a different version but you can set the RTH altitude in the assistant. have mine set to 150'.

Marlin009 said:
Maybe you're on a different version but you can set the RTH altitude in the assistant. have mine set to 150'.

You're right, that is a configurable setting.... but since I fly in different environments I'd like to be able to set it more dynamically than just forcing it to a certain height every time

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic