recording DJI Vision data

Reaction score
Is there a way to record the information or the screen from the iPhone or iPad that is showing the FPV from the DJI vision app.
I would love to have the information that it shows. I really don't want to buy more stuff to hang on the copter like Flytrex when all the information I want is already being shown on the FPV screen.

rotorwash said:
Is there a way to record the information or the screen from the iPhone or iPad that is showing the FPV from the DJI vision app.
I would love to have the information that it shows. I really don't want to buy more stuff to hang on the copter like Flytrex when all the information I want is already being shown on the FPV screen.

Look up screen capture in the app store. I think most use iRec for ios. For android, you may need to root the device.

Edit: my bad. I thought you meant recording fpv. Sorry

If you buy the vision + app you can record heaps of data.. altitude, speed, amount of satts and 15 other things.. The data is in a spreadsheet so its not exactly graphical like the screen is but you can use the data to overlay it in your videos. It also outputs a file that can be used in google earth to plot the flight path.
The app also lets you modify the wifi TX power on the camera and RE.
Only costs like $10 or so.

Its pretty cool having the data. We used in recently to measure the time it took to reach 100ft to compare some diff components. I think it gives you data every couple of milliseconds so its quite useful and accurate.

justin00 said:
If you buy the vision + app you can record heaps of data.. altitude, speed, amount of satts and 15 other things.. The data is in a spreadsheet so its not exactly graphical like the screen is but you can use the data to overlay it in your videos. It also outputs a file that can be used in google earth to plot the flight path.

Its pretty cool having the data. We used in recently to measure the time it took to reach 100ft to compare some diff components. I think it gives you data every couple of milliseconds so its quite useful and accurate.

Which OS, android?

Not sure which OS.. I know it def works on Android - I'm using Samsung S5 with Android 4.4

justin00 said:

I did see the vision + app but didn't see any reviews of it, or people using it. Does it really help increase range?

Yes it does..
it increases the power of the phantoms wifi from 12dbm (if I recall) all the way up to 20dbm.. however its recommended to use between 15-17.. I use 17.
It also increase the range extender from.. err I can remember but I think its even less than 12.. again all the way to 20.. I use 17dbm on that to.

There are a few apps that increase the wifi power; However vision utility plus also comes with the data logging functionality so its better value.

You can also manually increase the power if you are familiar with linux.. The apps work by ssh'ing in and applying some commands.. You can manually login and do the same thing but have it permanently ncreased, but yeah you need to be familiar with linux.

The thread for the app is here viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20198
Its 52 pages :] The developer comes on the forum every now again to.

justin00 said:

If it isn't a difficult task, everyone flying a Vision should be recording flight data. If there ever is a flyaway, then the data recorded would go a long way to an analysis.

I'm using a Galaxy S5 and I've installed Mobizen to capture the screen. It doesn't need the smartphone to be rooted but only works with android 4.2 or later. I find it a very useful app to support my flights and to study the parameters later in slow time.

Dartmoor Dave said:
I'm using a Galaxy S5 and I've installed Mobizen to capture the screen. It doesn't need the smartphone to be rooted but only works with android 4.2 or later. I find it a very useful app to support my flights and to study the parameters later in slow time.

Dude.
Lifesaver.

I couldn't find an FPV screen recorder for Android. Most required rooting and tinkering.
Thanks again.

...everyone flying a Vision should be recording flight data.

Couldn't agree more! One reason I'm waiting patiently on the Flytrex 3G I've paid for but heard nothing about!

Oops.. think I am sort of hijacking the post. Sorry! Had this sudden urge to vent! :mrgreen:

The Mobizen app is just what I've been looking for. It's like a built in dvr in your phone that records whatever is on your screen ..thanks for sharing Dartmoor Dave ..

If you want to record what you see on the phone screen, you can use a reflector for a pc or mac.

I take a mac with me to every flight now, start up the phantom as usual, open reflector on the mac and connect it to the phantom wifi, then mirror what the screen sees. I then start recording on the mac. I complete the flight as usual and when everything is done, turn off the recording on the mac.

It can be quite interesting to scroll through the recoding of the phone screen afterwards. I am often looking at the aircarft and not at the screen, and the recording can often analyse why certain things have happened. For example, coming in to hand catch once, the phantom was moving around quite a bit - turned out that the satellite count had dropped to 5 and therefore ATTI mode had been implemented.

I've also seen a few very short pop-ups on the screen, which - thankfully - so far were only phantom connection broken. But if something serious was to happen, at least there would be a record of it.

If all is ok, I delete the file.

I read about people using Reflector sounds interesting. I just don't want to be lugging a bunch of expensive computers out to go fly. Shou looks interesting because I can download it onto my iPhone that I'm using for my FPV. From what I read its a better program than iREC which is in the app store. I still need to go try it but living in the northeast with snow/rain and temps about 18 degrees I haven't been able to test it out.

I am actually using an old iPhone 5 that I have from when I upgraded to the six. I guess its a "cheap" way to have a dedicated device for FPV

Another good use for reflector is that when the inevitable 'crowd' come over to see what is going on, instead of them breathing down your neck, you can direct them to the boot or your car to look at in on the bigger screen. Keeps them from asking the usual questions when you're flying too!

For boot = trunk... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So its snowing and cold but wanted to test out SHOU. So grabbed all my stuff noticed that my iPhone 5 had an update no problem hit update and started to go outside.
I found out that with the new IOS8.2 makes Shou crash GRRRR

So I guess I'm going to go to iREC until

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj