Record separate audio and add it to the video?

Reaction score
For example, for filming sport in a field. I want to record video from above with my phantom 2 vision+ and somehow record the audio of the game and synchronise it with the video later. Has anyone tried something like this, or know a good way to do it?

I was thinking of having a microphone on the ground, near the pitch OR alternatively attach a microphone to the phantom and hope that the blade noise isn't really loud. It would be cool to have some sound from the game to match up with the video footage. Any help is appreciated, thanks

I think a mini directional microphone would help. I have no experience with it but maybe you can point it downwards. I see a lot of these devices on the internet (google on it: mini directional microphone). Let us know if , how and when you tried it out! I think it is a nice idea!

Running a mic sounds like the way to go. I know it's pretty easy to add in sound in Final Cut Pro.
As far as syncing, you'd just have to match up one point in the audio to one point in the video and it should be lined up.
I would suggest that after you line it up, pull a few highlights to make your video.

You can sync sound by starting both devices, standing in front of the camera and making one big clap with your hands.

Answering my own question:
I downloaded this free app for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_GB

I used the app running in the background to record audio, while my phone was clamped onto the controller and i was using the DJI app. I then just synced up the audio with the video footage on iMovie afterwards, using pretty much the 'clap' technique described above. It worked ok. The audio range from my phone (samsung galaxy s2) seems to be ok as well, hearing sounds quite far away. If i bought a separate microphone and placed it near to the action, the audio would probably be better.

rcwhiteley said:
Answering my own question:
I downloaded this free app for android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r&hl=en_GB

I used the app running in the background to record audio, while my phone was clamped onto the controller and i was using the DJI app. I then just synced up the audio with the video footage on iMovie afterwards, using pretty much the 'clap' technique described above. It worked ok. The audio range from my phone (samsung galaxy s2) seems to be ok as well, hearing sounds quite far away. If i bought a separate microphone and placed it near to the action, the audio would probably be better.

How do you get the audio file from your phone to iMovie?

Used my iPhone to record the audio for this. Set the phone on a rock by the stream and let it run. Simply blended it in where needed. Of course it was pretty much just white noise so it wasn't that difficult.

http://youtu.be/5WqLDmJ-Btc

This is what the NLE is for.
Search for a clapper/timecode program for your smartphone, or better yet, get a real clapper to sync. You could also use something like a clock or a scoreboard if one exists there. If you record your audio through use of a second camera, a camera flash works well too.
Be sure to re-clap/sync if one camera stops rolling for any reason!
good luck.

Just thought i'd update.
I recorded audio using my phone and synced it to the video footage, but about 2 minutes into the film the audio is noticeably out of sync (about half a second). The audio recording seems to play back at a slightly different rate from the video. This is quite annoying. Using better recording equipment/software would probably fix this.

IMHO - most are missing the point. What do you want to do is have a sound at the same time as a flash of light in order to sync the Mavic pro video with the soundtrack recorded at a distant location. That's how movies are made - with a clap board for that exact reason. You lineup the flash with the sound and everything will be in sync from that point on ...as long as the sound and flash occurred at the same moment . It just occurred to me that popping a balloon filled with powder would work. The drone could be close in to record this mock clapboard for syncing... and then fly off ... you will be in sync as long as recording does not stop. Hope that helps? Of course you could always get a professional clipboard and really be concise with your video siundtrack making.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1