Record for a unmodified Stock Standard..2.12 miles (11,197ft)?

Reaction score
20160124_230619000_iOS.png

20160124_233302000_iOS.png

I have a completely stock Phantom 3 Standard and unmodified controller running the latest Firmware, using a iphone 5s.

My only mods shouldn't help range (Prop Guards, and CF Gimbal guard)

I am just curious because it seems like I may have sorta like a freak, according to my other local drone fliers, lol.

This is my personal record, 11,197 ft = 2.12 miles. I still had Video and low RF but lost it doing the the IPhone Screenshot deal with the home and power buttons.

I was flying from my back deck, 2ft high only and straight out following a road with power lines on each side.

Pretty happy with my purchase.

Thanks
Sam Lilly

Wow that may very well be a record! Lucky you have such a convenient spot with what sounds like very little interference.

My regular fly spot is a park, which, while beautiful, has like 3 different wifi hotspots set up...

That's the weird thing, thou. I am in would most would call the "country" but I am in a subdivision and the road I follow is full of houses. with power-lines on both sides. No I am not going to lie that i don't have to point my controller and hunt for signal sometimes but I usually pops right back in less than a sec and I just keep going.. lol

I'm so frickin bummed right now. I have $$ coming soon and first i was gonna get a P3P. But bills were looking bad so I decided I'd downgrade to P3A. Now funds look even worse so I'm probably getting a standard. My biggest gripe with getting a standard is the lack of range between it and the Light Bridge models. What you just posted is very encouraging! I am completely new to this and it's cool that I've even found tips on increasing range here in the forums. I'm thinking that for the uses that are important to me right now I can live with the Standard's 2.7 and less range for a while until I can upgrade later.

Not saying you will get this range, as I have a friend with a Standard and using a windsurfer can only reach about 9,000ft.. I think mine is a freak honestly.

In fact I think it could go much further but I am at low battery (30%) most of the time I come back. but I do usually go out 8-9,000 ft. I think the prop guards are hurting my performance, but I did crash about a mile out on a RTH into a tree.. After about 3 hrs I found it and everything was fine other than one prop and missing 3 prop guards.. This was a fall from over 150ft down to the floor in the middle of the woods. I am pretty sure the Guards saved my drone and gimbal. So I will not fly long range without them.

Sam Lilly

I was wondering if prop guards were that important. I guess no I know, lol! Overall though, in regards to camera footage and drone performance, are you pretty happy with the Standard?

Yes, It was a gift from the wife. I wanted the Pro, and she paid $699 for it.. My only disappointment is that it dropped to $499 now. And with the price difference I could have had another battery.. I was happy at the $699 price point. But at the $499 point its a steal. You could mod it and buy a second battery and would likely have it cheaper than my setup. Also, for me its more FPV and Photos vs 4k video.

20160123_165138000_iOS.jpg

Reactions: TylerBees08
Yeah you could just have unit that had flawless cables/connections and perfect hardware/soldering! But u also seemed to understand what most do not, how crucial aiming is in those fringes of reception. If you just stay locked on and micro-adjust when its slipping, you'd be surprised the extra 2-3000 ft you can lock on to

Reactions: Samlilly2
Set yers up on a tripod and youll be amazed what it"ll do for your distance ( and yer screenshots)
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455051177.166130.jpg

Yeah I was looking at those kits.

Its strange but I usually lose connection (FPV feed breakup) more at the 3-4k ft then it just clears up until about 7-9k ft. Not sure how the tripod would work are I usually use the compass heading on the bottom left corner and keep adjusting the angle of how I hold the controller. lol

Just curious if anyone has gone further stock..

That's wild and with just 25% of your battery . Yours are way better than mine !!

Added / I don't think I have seen anyone go farther Sam

That's wild and with just 25% of your battery . Yours are way better than mine !!

Added / I don't think I have seen anyone go farther Sam

Thanks bud, I have been following your posts for a while before joining. Means a lot for your input. I honestly think it's got another 500ft easy. Just moving the controller around for the screenshots loses the sweet spot. Honestly want to mod the controller but it's sorta a freak and sometime you don't want to fix what isn't broke. Lol

Thanks
Sam

Thanks bud, I have been following your posts for a while before joining. Means a lot for your input. I honestly think it's got another 500ft easy. Just moving the controller around for the screenshots loses the sweet spot. Honestly want to mod the controller but it's sorta a freak and sometime you don't want to fix what isn't broke. Lol

Thanks
Sam
I don't blame ya . You have a good one .! :)

20160124_230619000_iOS.png

20160124_233302000_iOS.png

I have a completely stock Phantom 3 Standard and unmodified controller running the latest Firmware, using a iphone 5s.

My only mods shouldn't help range (Prop Guards, and CF Gimbal guard)

I am just curious because it seems like I may have sorta like a freak, according to my other local drone fliers, lol.

This is my personal record, 11,197 ft = 2.12 miles. I still had Video and low RF but lost it doing the the IPhone Screenshot deal with the home and power buttons.

I was flying from my back deck, 2ft high only and straight out following a road with power lines on each side.

Pretty happy with my purchase.

Thanks
Sam Lilly
That's incredible for a stock P3S! Way to go!;) I'd almost be afraid to mod it-wonder if they used different cables in yours or something? Any idea what it gets in areas with more residential interference?

That's incredible for a stock P3S! Way to go!;) I'd almost be afraid to mod it-wonder if they used different cables in yours or something? Any idea what it gets in areas with more residential interference?

In Raleigh in a really populated suburb with really big (4-6,000ft) houses I was about to get close to 3,000 ft. With houses all the way around me. I was really new to a RTH drone so was very timid at pushing it in the area. I only had it for a few day that this point... That's when I started to research mods.. Lol

In Raleigh in a really populated suburb with really big (4-6,000ft) houses I was about to get close to 3,000 ft. With houses all the way around me. I was really new to a RTH drone so was very timid at pushing it in the area. I only had it for a few day that this point... That's when I started to research mods.. Lol
Cool..born in Durham and grew up in Chapel-Hill ;)
Lost in MS now .

Cool then you would know Smithfield. That's where I live.

Small world..
Sure do..they still got those billboards at the city limit's ;)
We used to drive through everytime we went to Wrightsville which was about every weekend :)
Best BBQ in the world !
other than mine of course :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20