Recommended steps when adding FPV/Gimbal?

Reaction score
Alright so after reading zillions of posts here and watching various videos on youtube, i am taking the next step have ordered a gimbal and FPV with Fatshark Dominators. I think i ordered all the required parts to get everything installed. Time will tell.

As i wait for delivery and get ready to install this stuff, particularly the gimbal (and hopefully the 7th channel lever on the transmitter) I want to know the recommended steps. Specifically, should i just go ahead and connect my Phantom now to my USB port and download and install the latest Naza software/firmware? Or "if it aint broke don't fix it" I should just install all this hardware as-is and leave the phantom software as i received it from the factory? You know my fear...everything works now so will updating the firmware break anything or it is pretty much easy and recommended for all users?

1. Upgrade the Naza.
2. Put a JST or a Balance plug connector onto the Aux power connector so that you can run power to the gimbal and the FPV transmitter.This will make the gimbal and your FPV transmitter plug and play and you can run splitters from that connector.
3. Run an Futaba servo extension cable from the Naza to the gimbal location. This will create a plug and play connection much like the power connector.
4. Install a Mini IOSD and FPV transmitter with a camera first before messing with the gimbal.
5. Do not pinch any of the power or motor wires when you put the Phantom back together. If the shell does not go on perfectly or if there is any resistance when you start screwing then there is something pinched. This will lead to a short. Tape all loose wires down and make sure they are out of the way of the shell and the internal screws.

If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade the firmware unless there's something in the new version that you feel you need. Unless you have version 4.00. It seems to have a bug in the distance limits that was fixed with 4.02.

Also, I'd get FPV first and see how you like it, and then go for the gimbal if you feel you need it. I decided I didn't need a gimbal because the GoPro has such a wide field of view. A gimbal also adds a good deal of weight.

I like the Fat Shark/Immersion hardware. You'll have fun with it.

There really are no particular steps to follow, but of course you'll want to run all the wires before putting the Phantom back together again.
It might also depend on what gimbal you're getting

1- it's safe to update the NAZA to the latest
2- if you plan to install the FPV as well underneath the Phantom, you'll probably want to install TWO male JST's connected in parallel to the Aux power cable.. (many gimbals come with female JST's, but you might want to pick up a female JST for the FPV as well). couldn't hurt to get spares.
*It's very important tho to do all the JST wiring with the aux power cable running thru the legs.
3. also ideal to only re-attch the legs after you've run the servo cable thru them
4- MiniiOSD is totally optional (and often requires a PMU2 or upgraded motherboard).
5-Gimbals are awesome, otherwise you end up with shaky video. - plus they have vibration damper balls and allow you to tilt down, I say go for it.

Having just added fpv including iOSD to mine (no gimbal) The only thing I did different than mentioned is I soldered the wires that power the VTX and Fat Shark FPV cam directly onto the main power lugs on the board. I had to add the power wires from the new PMU there anyway, so I just went ahead and added the VTX too. The main reason I took this route is that the gauge of the aux. wire was smaller than the gauge of the wire supplied by the Immersion VTX. I guess the smaller gauge works fine, it just goes against my grain to attach a larger gauge feeder onto a smaller gauge source.

Also, I didn't add any extra JST connectors in order to un-plug the VTX and fpv Cam wires, because if I want to unplug either of those components, I can just unplug them right at the component, no extra connectors needed. If I want to be able to use the same components in different models, I just install the same wiring setup there too...super simple. Just a different approach to the same conclusion.

Well thanks so much to you all for posting comments. I am hoping that i can plug-and-play the new gear as much as possible. Although i still think i will be left trying to figure out what JST plugs, power splitters i need. I would love to avoid soldering. I have an unopened soldering tool that i can practice on some old electronic device first. ;)

Not sure where to buy that wiring plug/connector stuff in a brick and mortar around me. Radio Shack is all that comes to mind? I hate missing one little gizmo and then waiting for mail delivery to finish building something.

To check the Naza/firmware versions, do i really just install the latest software from the DJI site and connect the usb to the Phantom? My phantom has the control levers that stay centered if that tells you the vintage.

It does make sense to start by simply getting the Fatshark video TX working (and then putting everything back together...not after...haha). Then i can move on to trying the gimbal which may be trickier/heavier.

By the way, check out this cool video of someone doing some nice work with his phantom (using FPV):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMgoZFW ... rBCrlILyRs

You'll may have to find a decent hobby shop to get your hands on the kinds of connectors you need locally.

If your Tx has the JST power connector already, then this is the tap you'll need: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1761

Since you're tapping off the main batt, you'll probably also want to consider a filter like the one linked in the listing for that connector.

OI Photography said:
If your Tx has the JST power connector already, then this is the tap you'll need: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1761

Since you're tapping off the main batt, you'll probably also want to consider a filter like the one linked in the listing for that connector.

I am awaiting this:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... earch=fats

So are you recommending that i get the adapter you linked to in order to connect the immersionRC TX directly to the Phantom battery?

windrockwater said:
I am awaiting this:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... earch=fats

So are you recommending that i get the adapter you linked to in order to connect the immersionRC TX directly to the Phantom battery?
Your Fat Shark set comes with a power filter. You plug the battery's balance lead into the filter and the filter will have a plug that goes to the transmitter. If you don't want to solder, just get an S3 extension cable to run from the battery to the filter. If you're up to soldering, you can put an S3 plug on your Phantom's accessory cable.

Also, seriously, don't power your video transmitter without an antenna on. It'll burn out.

windrockwater, yes that is what I was suggesting for the tap, it will let you draw power for the transmitter straight from the main batt without having to do any soldering or anything.

If The Don is right about the Immersion 600mW 5.8 GHz Tx including a filter, then I just spend $15 unnecessarily :roll:

OI Photography said:
If The Don is right about the Immersion 600mW 5.8 GHz Tx including a filter, then I just spend $15 unnecessarily :roll:
The immersionrc Tx doesn't come with a filter, but the Fat Shark set does. I believe that's what I wrote.

Thanks again.

I connected the phantom to the PC (first timer here). In the Naza-M V2 software, the current version of the firmware is listed at 3.14 with the upgrade available to version 4.02. Should i go ahead and do this? I am not installing the Zenmuse.

windrockwater said:
Thanks again.

I connected the phantom to the PC (first timer here). In the Naza-M V2 software, the current version of the firmware is listed at 3.14 with the upgrade available to version 4.02. Should i go ahead and do this? I am not installing the Zenmuse.
That's a judgement call. I don't see a need for it, but others may see differently.

The Don said:
OI Photography said:
The immersionrc Tx doesn't come with a filter, but the Fat Shark set does. I believe that's what I wrote.

You did, I just misunderstood and thought you meant the Fat Shark set includes the Tx he linked.

The Don said:
Your Fat Shark set comes with a power filter. You plug the battery's balance lead into the filter and the filter will have a plug that goes to the transmitter. If you don't want to solder, just get an S3 extension cable to run from the battery to the filter. If you're up to soldering, you can put an S3 plug on your Phantom's accessory cable.

The phantom seems to come with a (disconnected) gray and red power wire that seems to be "for the DIY-er". So shouldn't I just use that unused wire to connect the TX transmitter? Or I imagine that using the adapter you listed will allow for easier removal of the transmitter? If that is the case then what do most people use the DIY power cable for? The Gimbal instead of the FPV transmitter since the gimbal is more permanently installed?

The Don said:
OI Photography said:

I don't know if the Immersion vtx has a filter, but I have mine powered directly from the board, and I do not get any interference.

I don't use the filter either, just adds more clutter.

Soldering is kind of fun.
I highly recommend getting a "Helping Hands" to help hold stuff together while soldering.
and get heat-shrink tubing for professional results.

windrockwater said:
The phantom seems to come with a (disconnected) gray and red power wire that seems to be "for the DIY-er". So shouldn't I just use that unused wire to connect the TX transmitter? Or I imagine that using the adapter you listed will allow for easier removal of the transmitter? If that is the case then what do most people use the DIY power cable for? The Gimbal instead of the FPV transmitter since the gimbal is more permanently installed?
Yep, that's what it's for, an FPV set or a gimbal, although there is some debate whether it's thick enough to handle the amps that a gimbal would require. If you're up to soldering it's certainly the way to go. You could solder on the proper connector and plug it into the filter I mentioned, or just solder on the right connector to power your video transmitter and use it directly without the filter. Most guys here skip the filter and have no complants.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic