Recommended ND filter for Phantom 3

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been told I should probably use an ND filter on my Phantom 3 Pro.
Could someone please recommend one on Amazon UK.

Thanks

Polar pro seems to have the best rating. I bought one last week for my advanced. Quality is pretty decent. I am in the US so I'm not sure about the Uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I find interesting is that I haven't seen filters being offered by any of the typical filter manufacturers such as Hoya, Schneider, Cokin, Tiffen, etc. I understand weight is an issue for gimbal movement, but I would rather buy an adapter then get a set of filters from a known filter company. I don't know that a lens adapter is available or not?

A quick search found this solution:

Lighting Mods: DIY: DJI Phantom 3 Vision ND Filters for Lens

You can get these samples for $3 from B&H. I think I would look into the hard gels vs. this solution. You need to be careful the filter lays absolutely flat. I don't know the rigidity of the samples, but it is a cheap way to figure out what you might need. These samples wouldn't include a Polarizer which is something else might want.

Here is a vid I made which may help. It shows the lens adaptor for Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 range. It also shows what another poster mentioned about ND filters having an effect on colour.

Note that 3 of the filters in this vid cost under $20 US and are decent. The ND 16 filter cost $20 by itself and actually has a tiny defect. You just never know what quality of glass you'll get.

Reactions: Omniround
Thanks for sharing that. I have seen complaints regarding the weight of the adapter and lens causing overheating problems with the gimbal. Have you had a similar experience?

Thanks for sharing that. I have seen complaints regarding the weight of the adapter and lens causing overheating problems with the gimbal. Have you had a similar experience?

The adaptor & lens are minimal in added weight. Have not had any issues.

The only thing I could foresee possibly being an issue is if flying on a very windy day. Strong winds currently affect the gimbal (sudden movement or shake or jello) so if there is a touch more weight on the gimbal it could possibly affect it even more. I have not had this happen to me.... it's just a thought.

Could someone please recommend one on Amazon UK.
I'd recommend one of the following: DJI, TACO-RC, Polar Pro, or Anbee/BTG. All either are the same weight or are close to the weight of the DJI UV filter.

I bought the Polar Pro six filter set and I'm quite happy with it. Lots of U-Tube videos of professionals showing what to use and when. Loads of info specifically for the Phantoms, check them out.

Reactions: PolarPro
I love my polar pros. I got the three pack with two nd filters and a polarizer. I use them all the time. Really makes a big difference.

Reactions: PolarPro
I bought the DJI ND8 and 16 filters. Screw on with no weight difference and no colour cast.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I like the TACO-RC filters myself.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a few ND filters from Snake River. I find that they're very good. But just like anything photography-related, it all comes down to learning when it's best to use them and which one is best for each scenario. They don't just magically make your footage look better. I find that they generally give me something beter to stat with when editing video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj