Recommendations for Micro SD Cards

Reaction score
Any recommendations out there? Looking to get a 64mb, is there really any difference in the cards being sold for $20 as opposed to the $60 ones? I see some saying they are meant for the 4k recording...just curious if anyone prefers one brand over another and maybe which brands to stay away from.

Thanks!

You can find a list of commonly used memory cards here.

Pretty much any class 10 card will technically work. I like to memory buy cards that have fast read and write speeds to reduce the time when transferring data to and from my computer.

Good read/write speeds are not only good for copying the files but for saving the files onto the card itself from the camera. Especially large resolution/size files such as 4k or 1080p60

Good read/write speeds are not only good for copying the files but for saving the files onto the card itself from the camera
True. But, the camera is not able to take advantage of the higher speeds offered by many of the more expensive memory cards. It maxes out at a write speed of 7.5MB/s.

I would still go with a higher rate card. Who knows, maybe one day you'll want to get a higher GB card for the Phantom and use this card for a GoPro or any other action camera that might benefit from higher write speeds.

They work just fine most of the time without formatting them.

Reactions: Fitcherama
Anything in the 80-90mbps ranges. I recommend Samsung Evo+. You can get a 64GB card for about $20 at BestBuy right now on sale. I own 3 of these for different products.
Not to sound like an idiot but I'm kind of new. I'm sorry if I'm stealing the post but do we have to move the software that's installed on the card to the new card ? Example: 1.7 version that we put on it when we did the upgrade.

Not to sound like an idiot but I'm kind of new. I'm sorry if I'm stealing the post but do we have to move the software that's installed on the card to the new card ? Example: 1.7 version that we put on it when we did the upgrade.
No. The firmware is installed directly on your batteries, remote controller, and Phantom.

Reactions: WWK888
Anything in the 80-90mbps ranges. I recommend Samsung Evo+. You can get a 64GB card for about $20 at BestBuy right now on sale. I own 3 of these for different products.

Thanks, just ordered one.

Any recommendations out there? Looking to get a 64mb!
Why get 64 GB?
Bigger isn't always better.
You can store the images and videos of a whole day's flying on 64 GB but why risk losing all your work every time you fly?
It makes more sense to get several 8 or 16 GB cards and swap out every flight.

Why get 64 GB?
Bigger isn't always better.
You can store the images and videos of a whole day's flying on 64 GB but why risk losing all your work every time you fly?
It makes more sense to get several 8 or 16 GB cards and swap out every flight.

I disagree. How does one lose work? it doesnt really actually happen.... just something people are afraid of for no reason.

Yeah I understand your point, I do have several smaller cards but I wanted one bigger one for a particular shoot coming up. I am going to film a funeral, spreading of ashes at sea and I did not want to have to worry about running out of space while flying. I might also use the larger card to store my finished videos and share with friends.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I disagree. How does one lose work? it doesnt really actually happen.... just something people are afraid of for no reason.
Every time you fly, you risk losing your Phantom.
There's no point risking a whole day's work as well.

I remember a particular case of a commercial music video shoot done from a boat off Miami.
The drone operator had all his work from 8 flights on the one card when he crashed into an outrigger pole on the camera boat as he came in to land and lost the lot.
Not a really smart idea.

Every time you fly, you risk losing your Phantom.
There's no point risking a whole day's work as well.

I remember a particular case of a commercial music video shoot done from a boat off Miami.
The drone operator had all his work from 8 flights on the one card when he crashed into an outrigger pole on the camera boat as he came in to land and lost the lot.
Not a really smart idea.

SD cards are waterproof and shock resistant, unless you demolish the body of your aircraft you're not going to lose it.

Is there a chance of losing work, sure, very slim though.

1 min of 1080p30 video is about 130mb while 1 min of 4k video is about 375mb. 20 minute video in 4k should be approximately 7500mb which is approximately a little over 7gb. In theory any 16GB card will be fine but I also myself prefer to have a larger card so I can exchange batteries and go back up without having to worry about swaping cards or keeping track of which card is full or what is on which card.

SD cards are waterproof and shock resistant, unless you demolish the body of your aircraft you're not going to lose it.
Is there a chance of losing work, sure, very slim though.
That depends on where you fly doesn't it?
The forums are full of tales of flyers having problems in flight.
I don't know where you fly but just about every flight I do comes with a 100% chance of losing the Phantom and card if things go wrong.
For example, I shot this 3 km out to sea
DJI_0771a-X2.jpg

And I wouldn't have any more luck with a problem on land either
0210-4b-XL.jpg

Reactions: maseman88

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member