Recommendations for a mobile device with the brightest screen.

Reaction score
Morning Folks, I'm using an Asus MemoPad 7 with my P3A. It works fine but even with a sun shade it is very difficult to see. I'm thinking of getting another device and dedicate it to the P3A. I want to stay with an Android device of 7-8" with the brightest screen possible.

Any recommendations?

I've heard the Galaxy Tab S2 (they make an 8" version) is pretty much the brightest one you can get. Pretty much any tablet with an OLED screen is going to be more visible than most LED backlit LCD screens. Biggest downside is that it's a little on the expensive side. Over $300 iirc, or $500 for the models with built in 4G LTE.

Also, I use a Kindle Fire HD 8 and it seems to be one of the brightest LCDs I've seen. It's brighter than my Galaxy S6. If cost is a concern you could go that route (It's only $149) with the caveat that the tablet does not have built in GPS....though that's not really a big downside as it's not needed for drone flying. (it just allows you to see your personal current position in the Litchi app with the blue dot). You will have to do some initial setup on the Kindle to get the Google Play Store installed. I detailed it in my somewhat ignored review here: Kindle Fire HD 8 (5th Generation): My Experience with setup, DJI GO, and Litchi :p

Won't hurt to get a sun shade for a tablet as well.

IMO forget Mac products - our club is moving away from them due to rip off prices and some incompatibility issues with some apps.

The Nexus 7 Android has one of the brightest screens but even that needs a sun hood, and for £120 odd its good value. 80 % of our club has Nexus 7's and find them excellent.

The latest update works well too.

Those are our thoughts.

Thanks Gents. It seems the Nexus 7 is only available used. I'm just now reading good things about the Nvida Shield K1. Any thoughts on it?

Reactions: deltamike
Thanks Gents! I ordered the K1 and anti-glare screen protectors. Hopefully this will be usable with a sun shield.

In bright sunlight, no tablet works well. Even sunshades are off limited help. Googles or a hood of dark material to cover your head and the RC - just like the old time photographers - is the way to go.

You look a bit weird with either rig. That's the price you pay for performance.

In bright sunlight, no tablet works well. Even sunshades are off limited help. Googles or a hood of dark material to cover your head and the RC - just like the old time photographers - is the way to go.

You look a bit weird with either rig. That's the price you pay for performance.

How come the sunshade/hood doesn't help? Looking to pick one up for myself

How come the sunshade/hood doesn't help? Looking to pick one up for myself
Sun hoods help, just often not enough. They are too small to block much sunlight.

Another way to go that is awfully expensive (about as much as a P3P is a 1000 nit monitor. That has enough punch to be daylight visible. I have one (use if for on camera video) and it's great. Just hard to justify.

9.7" iPad Pro has currently the brightest screen of any tablet and is most usable in bright ambient lighting (520 Nits). But even then I prefer to use it in shade, if possible.

The 9.7" iPad Pro Review

While doing research on screen brightness I found this. The new for 2016 LG G5 is designed for outdoor use and has a screen brightness of over 800 nits. It is a cell phone and has a 5.3" screen. My old phone is over 4 years old so I will consider one of these as a backup mobile device for my P3A.

Quick update. I got my Shield K1 in and a Mr. Shield anti-glare screen protector. Took it out for a flight today. Much better! With a home made sun shield and the anti-glare screen protector it was readable while standing in bright mid-day Nevada sunlight.

I am seriously looking into buying a matte finish film from these folks.
www.ghost-armor.com
They have a kiosk in the nearest mall to me, only a couple blocks away. Convenianlty have actually set up, just outside the Apple Store... ;-)

RedHotPoker

While doing research on screen brightness I found this. The new for 2016 LG G5 is designed for outdoor use and has a screen brightness of over 800 nits. It is a cell phone and has a 5.3" screen. My old phone is over 4 years old so I will consider one of these as a backup mobile device for my P3A.
Wow. 800 nits. For that price it may be the best value in a daylight bright monitor that can be easily carried.

800 nits. For that price it may be the best value in a daylight bright monitor that can be easily carried.

Yes, it is currently the brightest phone (5.3") screen. 9.7" iPad Pro is the brightest tablet screen (520 nits).

I think I'm going to upgrade to the LG phone in the near future. With that bright of screen and maybe an anti-glare protector it should be great outside. I'll let you know.

If there was a hack to push the brightness up even if it lowered the battery life, it might be worth it. I have an app on my devices making them louder than the factory max (quite a bit louder).

In several places I see where Apple lowered the brightness of devices to increase the battery life. There must be a way to sacrifice the battery life in favor of brightness.

Has anyone seen the DJI tablet? I am unclear if it can be purchased for use on the P3 lineup....anyone know!

I find the biggest shortcoming of use is this issue. I have a buddy who always flies from his car. I retreated to a nearby pickup truck on Friday and even then my iPad Mini 2 was impossibly dim!!

Shades or shrouds really don't solve this problem. It seems if someone offered an insanely bright screen, thousands of us would by them. For the working drone pilot, this is a serious issue!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub