Reckless endangerment - state of things to come?

Reaction score
In the past the model aircraft industry has generally been associated with people flying their machines with a few of their buddies on some remote piece of land outside of the city limits and away from the general populous. The hobby, although reasonably popular, was never what one would call main stream. This is changing very quickly with the DJI quads however. Over the course of the past few weeks an ever increasing number of stories are hitting the wire about people flying their machines over tornado ravaged areas for the purposes of scouting new stories or like the musician from Brooklyn charged with reckless endangerment (and who may finally be charged by the FAA for crashing his quad in NewYork city). I live in a rural area of Canada in the middle of nowhere so flying a machine around my house poses no real public threat to speak of but I can see how this could become a real issue for the millions of city dwellers out there. I get the feeling that as more of these incidents unfold the government agencies may be forced into legislating these birds whether we like it or not. Accidents happen, plain and simple. And there are always a few bad apples who seem to find their purpose in life and ruin it for the majority of us law abiding folk, but after reading post after post of new people crashing their birds, and the fact that these mishaps are happening in populated areas, I just can't see this ending well. Years ago the model hobbyist would never have dreamed of risking so much as to attempt to fly their bird downtown. Now its an everyday occurrence. Things have to change - or they will be forced to.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree

It wont be hitting a plane that gets it banned, it will be causing a major traffic accident or killing someone.

2trickpony said:
I agree

It wont be hitting a plane that gets it banned, it will be causing a major traffic accident or killing someone.

To your point, someone with poor judgement will one day cause an accident that will force legislation. Most laws are created to avoid repeats of these events.

The other day I was faced with a dilemna. In my town there is a huge, beautiful herd of elk that use the field I fly in to graze. I was wanting to fly the other night and the elk were in the field. My first thought was, "Oh, man that would make for great footage". But almost immediately my second thought was "But they spook easily, what if they do and stampede across the nearby road?". Long story short, I flew somewhere else that evening and here is a very visible reason why that I found later that night http://youtu.be/gOTMy5UphCo

We are all going to have to think 5 moves ahead if we want to continue to enjoy this incredible passion we all have in common.

Safe Flights.

When it comes to Elk,Deer etc. I do know that up in MT the Game and Fish have a law against "harassing or annoying wildlife" which I'm sure they'd use if someone complained.

Sounds kind of funny, you can hunt/kill them but don't you DARE harass 'em.

I agree. The reckless behavior will lead to limits, rules, regulations. :|

twodips said:
When it comes to Elk,Deer etc. I do know that up in MT the Game and Fish have a law against "harassing or annoying wildlife" which I'm sure they'd use if someone complained.

reminds me of the states that have lethal injection and how they use the sterile swabs to sterlize the needles before using them in the death chamber.

twodips said:

Well, yeah. IF you annoy them, they will go find other digs, and then the hunters are left shooting at highway signs....

doug86 said:
I agree. The reckless behavior will lead to limits, rules, regulations. :|
In many Canadian municipalities the Parks departments already have bylaws prohibiting RC aircraft. It is an illegal activity. So if an accident happens insurance won't even cover you.

My experience is we are better off self-regulating/policeing this hobby before others decide to regulate it for us.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4