Rechargeable Eneloop AA cells in the remote?

Reaction score
I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA cells in my camera gear with great results. I was wondering if anyone is using them in the P2V remote and what results you've gotten from them vs standard alkaline cells.

Mosleyh said:
I use Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable AA cells in my camera gear with great results. I was wondering if anyone is using them in the P2V remote and what results you've gotten from them vs standard alkaline cells.

I've done several flights with my regular energizer batteries before taking receipt of my new Sanyo XX 2500mah eneloop AA batteries. I figure it'll pay for themseleves versus using standard batteries all the time. Granted the 2500mah cells may be overkill but I'm satisfied with my purchase. Here's the product link from Amazon. FYI any standard NIMH battery charger will work with eneloop batteries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LT ... UTF8&psc=1

I use the eneloops also- same deal; got 'em for the camera gear, and they have been in everything from my Tx to a Tamiya mini 4wd racer, to the remote, to the wife's vibrator :eek:

They work just fine in all of those devices-

Hiway said:
I use the eneloops also- same deal; got 'em for the camera gear, and they have been in everything from my Tx to a Tamiya mini 4wd racer, to the remote, to the wife's vibrator :eek:

They work just fine in all of those devices-

Hmm.. wife's vibrator? Them's some lucky eneloops. :p But anyway those eneloops are great and friend of mine who have been using eneloops for a long time can vouch for their long lasting power. They can sit and hold their charge for long stretches without loosing a ton of power as in standard NIMH style batteries which is the main reason for going with them vs a regular nimh battery which you need to charge on a more regular basis or they go flat.

One thing to watch when using NIMH batteries is that their draining pattern is different than alkalines. NIMH are designed to maintain high power output as long as possible then drops quickly. So when your transmitter shows low power warning (led red), it will probably not last as long in that state (before outright dying) compared to non rechargeables.

I too have been using the same eneloops. I use them in everything, they are the best rechargeable.

One thing I've been wondering, does the voltage (1.2v) make a difference compared to regular AA's (1.5v). I wonder if there would be any benefit, perhaps in range, with the extra voltage?

When I get around to extending the FPV range (as others have done) to the point where the control signal becomes the limiting factor, I might try some Energizer Ultimate Lithium (BTW, these are the best non-rechargeable batteries.)

I did my first couple of flights with recharageables (Maha 2700maH), but then chickened out and used Duracell Ultras for the next few flights - they are nice since they start out at over 1.6V. For normal flying, not pushing distance limits, I think rechargeables are fine and plan to use them going forward. But not the 2000maH ones like the Eneloop. The application for those is where you need them to hold power for a long time. I just charge my 2700maH AAs when I'm recharging the range extender and the main batteries so everything is fresh for a flying session.

I run Hahnel 2800mAh NiMH AAs in my Tx. ( http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=aam ... 76&pId=765 ) They have a reputation for storing their charge well compared to other brands, so if I charge 'em up expecting to fly but am grounded with the weather for a few days I won't need to charge again next time. I've had the Vision up at 1000ft and out at 1000ft on these which is plenty for me. I recharge them at the same as the range extender - after I've flown through 4 flight batteries or every week, whichever comes first.

I always keep a set of new alkalines in my flight case both as a backup and to use if I find that because of terrain or interference I'm not getting the range I expect and need to max out the voltage. Not sure if that would make a difference and haven't had to use those yet.

nhoover said:
I did my first couple of flights with recharageables (Maha 2700maH), but then chickened out and used Duracell Ultras for the next few flights - they are nice since they start out at over 1.6V. For normal flying, not pushing distance limits, I think rechargeables are fine and plan to use them going forward. But not the 2000maH ones like the Eneloop. The application for those is where you need them to hold power for a long time. I just charge my 2700maH AAs when I'm recharging the range extender and the main batteries so everything is fresh for a flying session.

My eneloops are Sanyo XX 2500mh :) Good stuff, they work great, I did over 1,000 foot distance at 380 foot altitude and had good control no problems. I really wouldn't sweat using eneloop rechargables. Especially the Sanyo XX's which are considered professional grade :)

Pull_Up said:
I run Hahnel 2800mAh NiMH AAs in my Tx. ( http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=aam ... 76&pId=765 ) They have a reputation for storing their charge well compared to other brands, so if I charge 'em up expecting to fly but am grounded with the weather for a few days I won't need to charge again next time. I've had the Vision up at 1000ft and out at 1000ft on these which is plenty for me. I recharge them at the same as the range extender - after I've flown through 4 flight batteries or every week, whichever comes first.

I always keep a set of new alkalines in my flight case both as a backup and to use if I find that because of terrain or interference I'm not getting the range I expect and need to max out the voltage. Not sure if that would make a difference and haven't had to use those yet.

The Sanyo XX 2500 mah eneloops I got come precharged. I did not add any additional charge to them when I got them from Amazon, and I ran at least 7 batteries / flights through them and still going strong. On the 2nd flight with them I flew my Phantom over 1,000 feet away from me at roughly 385 feet altitude with good wifi and control remaining. I'm topping them off now so I can always be at peak performance though my battery charger doesn't have a voltage indicator so I actually don't know how much level remained, just that I still had green light on the Phantom transmitter and excellent range after at least 7 flights just as they came out of the box. They're a bit pricey ($30 for 8 pack) but Highly recommended. Here's the link if interested. (this is for the 8 pack, you can also get a 4 pack as well)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008LT ... UTF8&psc=1

I started out flying the Vision with the original 2000 mAH eneloop's and struggled getting much range out of them. I quickly switched to Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and have been much happier with my distances. Still not perfect but typically can get about 800-900ft.

adampassphotography said:
I started out flying the Vision with the original 2000 mAH eneloop's and struggled getting much range out of them. I quickly switched to Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries and have been much happier with my distances. Still not perfect but typically can get about 800-900ft.

I just bought some of those from Costco. Now I am second guessing that decision. My Lithium batteries just died. I didn't lose connection to my Vision and I was over 3200 feet away. They are expensive though. I don't know how long regular alkaline batteries should last. I put the Lithium's in my Phantom when I bought it and I flew 3-4 batteries a day for l little over 2 weeks before the transmitter started beeping at me. What do you other folks get on average?

thelandman said:

I just bought some of those from Costco. Now I am second guessing that decision. My Lithium batteries just died. I didn't lose connection to my Vision and I was over 3200 feet away. They are expensive though. I don't know how long regular alkaline batteries should last. I put the Lithium's in my Phantom when I bought it and I flew 3-4 batteries a day for l little over 2 weeks before the transmitter started beeping at me. What do you other folks get on average?

Get high performance Eneloops. As high a performance or extra voltage those Lithiums initially produce. They will rapidly begin to drop off from the standard 1.5 volt rating pretty quickly. Also keep in mind that many items other than flash lights or electric razors are voltage regulated. Even lets say you have a 1.5 volt capable battery, it may not be drawing that full 1.5 volts from it so using a lower volt batter makes no difference. If the device in question is not regulated in such a way then yes, you may see some improvement only initially, but that will soon drop off especially as you get near depleting the cell. Moral of the story. Stick with the Sanyo XX 2500mah high performance eneloops.

thelandman said:

This is off topic but I am really amazed by the varying distances that everyone is achieving with stock units set to FCC regs. I have at least 20 hours of flight time on the PV2 in numerous locations. Including remote beaches in Costa Rica & Hawaii. There are not that many antenna positions to even be brought up as a valid variable(I've tried every position with every PV2 orientation). I'm content with my 800ft range at the moment, but the difference between 3200ft & 800ft is quite astronomical.

Back to the topic, the batteries used in the Tx can definitely effect PV2 range. One of the many variables I guess...

I use the Eneloops also. I was able to get about a weeks worth of flights on one recharge. One thing to note though is when the controller starts beeping with the red light you have probably less than a minute until the controller shuts off. So now I just make sure I put in freshly charged Eneloop batteries every day just to be safe.

Hi, Has anybody tried or thought of using high capacity AA rechargeable batteries for the drone?
i mean i got some AAz that are like 2500mah per cell, if you hook up 4 of thouse that like 10,000mah, all you need to do is work out the working current of the drone.... is that right ?

let me know if its possible, and if its not why not.. thanks just curious thats all...

somewhere on this site is my post where I took a DC/DC buck converter and wired it into my remote with a USB cable. I run my Tx, repeater, and phone all from a tenergy battery pack so they are all running full blast.

Using batteries in your remote? How quaint and old fashioned now that the unit with a rechargeable battery pack and gimbal wheel is available

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj