Rechargable Batteries

Phantom_Menace66 said:
WyattEarp said:
I've noticed that my Duracells in the TX are dropping voltage after about 10 flights. Not much at first but once the voltage drops below about 6 volts I see a dramatic change in the range of the TX. I read somewhere on the boards that the TX drops it power level once the voltage drops below a threshold. My question is: are their rechargeable AA batteries that will put out more than 1.5 volts at full charge? Most of what I find is that the specs on rechargeables are 1.2 volts with 1.4 volts at full charge - no good. Alkaline AA run at about 1.6-1.7 off the shelf but drop quickly.

I found these on amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/BPI-2500mWH-Vol ... +1.6+volts

But I'm not sure they are legit.

Anyone have any ideas for keeping the voltage high enough to keep the TX from dropping bower?

Just going off topic for a minute.... You do know your avatar is Doc Holiday & not Wyatt Earp don't you?

:D :D :D

These might not be good Transmitter batteries.......

"The eneloop Pro is eneloop’s (formally Sanyo and now Panasonic) follow-up to their highly successful eneloop XX series. Like the XX, the eneloop Pro is a SPECIALTY battery. It is NOT intended for usage with lower drain applications, and performs poorly when used for this purpose. However, when used in high-drain applications that tend to be brutal on the battery, the eneloop Pro gives unparalleled runtime that no alkaline can come even close to."

I've been banging around cobbling up something with the Panasonic18650 lipos. @ 4.2 volts, you'd only need 2, and they're rated at 3600mah. Depends if the regulator is robust enough to handle the increased voltage of 2s. Most off-the-shelf regs are rated from 28-35V, so it shouldn't be a problem, You could also just put in a couple of series diodes to drop down the voltage. With a 2s-2p config, you would get 7200mah. Might even last the season on a charge. The V3 controller LiPo pack is only rated at 2000mah I would make up an external holder to velcro to the bottom of the controller, and retain the operational status of the old battery config in case the lipos went flat. I'd carry a set of AAs for emergency. Having said all that, it's hard to say how long a charge would last, factoring in Regulator switching loss. You could also just put in a couple of series diodes to drop down the voltage.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.