Recently got my Australian RePl. Now progressing for my ROC. A few questions.

Reaction score
Hi Folks.

As a new member, I'd like to say that this Phantom Pilots.com Forum, presents as a very professional, caring and thoughtful Community. As an example, I refer to the Gent who recently lost his drone in LA. Very impressed to see the number of operators who responded.

I read the threads and I get educated. Thank-you.

I recently successfully obtained my Australian RePl and AROC and have commenced the procedure to obtain a ROC. I'm hoping to connect with professional operators with the intent of commercial work, either in the field of ariel photography or possible creative movie grabs.

My questions are as follows;

What are your thoughts on using prop guards and when should I land my quad based on my battery % warning.
I'm flying P4P with iPhone 6 and Go app.

Cheers,
Mic

Hi Folks.

As a new member, I'd like to say that this Phantom Pilots.com Forum, presents as a very professional, caring and thoughtful Community. As an example, I refer to the Gent who recently lost his drone in LA. Very impressed to see the number of operators who responded.

I read the threads and I get educated. Thank-you.

I recently successfully obtained my Australian RePl and AROC and have commenced the procedure to obtain a ROC. I'm hoping to connect with professional operators with the intent of commercial work, either in the field of ariel photography or possible creative movie grabs.

My questions are as follows;

What are your thoughts on using prop guards and when should I land my quad based on my battery % warning.
I'm flying P4P with iPhone 6 and Go app.

Cheers,
Mic

Prop guards degrade the flight performance. I would not recommend. Plan to land before 20%.

Prop guards degrade the flight performance. I would not recommend. Plan to land before 20%.
Cheers for this.
When you say degrade the flight performance, do you mean make it unstable, slow? I just want smooth slow images flown over sites, houses and when I get better, coastal shots etc.

Hi EyeDrone

Drone performance is somewhat degraded when using prop-guards, but only to the extent that they increase the surface area of the quad, and thus allow wind gusts to act on flight stability. The other problem is that the guards often show up during filming due to the quad tipping slightly when caught by wind.

But if you are flying in close proximity ( and light wind conditions ) I could understand their use, I was once inspecting the gutters on the roof of my house, and was in very close proximity, and a wind gust blew the quad into the house, it bounced away from the building with just a little wobble, but immediately regained its equilibrium, if not for the prop guards it would have been on the deck, so you figure.

Fly Safe
Waylander

Cheers for this.
When you say degrade the flight performance, do you mean make it unstable, slow? I just want smooth slow images flown over sites, houses and when I get better, coastal shots etc.

As stated by @Waylander, plus they increase the weight, shift the COG, and modify the airflow around the props. The effect may, however, be less noticeable than with the P2, which was when I checked them out. They can save you in certain situations though, if working in close proximity to structures.

Hi EyeDrone

Drone performance is somewhat degraded when using prop-guards, but only to the extent that they increase the surface area of the quad, and thus allow wind gusts to act on flight stability. The other problem is that the guards often show up during filming due to the quad tipping slightly when caught by wind.

But if you are flying in close proximity ( and light wind conditions ) I could understand their use, I was once inspecting the gutters on the roof of my house, and was in very close proximity, and a wind gust blew the quad into the house, it bounced away from the building with just a little wobble, but immediately regained its equilibrium, if not for the prop guards it would have been on the deck, so you figure.

Fly Safe
Waylander

Thank-You Waylander.
I appreciate your rapid response.
I'm looking also at providing service for the Real Estate Industry in doing fly arounds indoors and your comments are most helpful. I was wondering why my indoor flights were getting a bit unstable as I passed through doors. Now I understand. Thank-You for your comments. I'm reading that I'll flick to Atti when indoors to do a manual navigate thro the rooms. Hence, the prop guards. I do love this site. Cheers, Mic.

As stated by @Waylander, plus they increase the weight, shift the COG, and modify the airflow around the props. The effect may, however, be less noticeable than with the P2, which was when I checked them out. They can save you in certain situations though, if working in close proximity to structures.

Thanks for the reply sar104. I appreciate your thread. I'm reading that for high airiel photography, remove the guards and utilise my flying skills. For in door use, use the guards to hopefully demolishing the LCD TV. Ha!

Reactions: sar104

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4