Recently fly away caused by version DJI GO 3.1.2 - Could I have taken control manually?

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

So I was recently hit by the bug in version 3.1.2 of the DJI GO app. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard. It set my home position 1400m away and I was helpless to stop it. I tried to cancel the RTH feature, but due to the fact it was obviously out of the RTH range, it overrode this command and carried on going to the new RTH point. I tried to turn the drone around and fly it back to myself and also bring it to a lower altitude but none of this seemed to work.

I was just wondering if they were anything I could have do to switch the drone to manual during the RTH sequence so I could have taken control as I was well within range of the drone when the home point first updated?

I'm new to flying so would be great if anyone had some information on this :)

Did you find it? If not get your flight logs handy and loaded on here if you know how. This forum is full of very knowledgeable people that have found several of them. I however am not one of the knowledgeable ones. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That sucks, hope you can find it, from memory you should have been able to either cancel RTH through the app or toggling S1 to regain control (assuming you had time before it disappeared out of range). As heyjack said, get your flight records ready for uploading and the good folk on here will help you locate it if you have not located it yet.

Did you find it? If not get your flight logs handy and loaded on here if you know how. This forum is full of very knowledgeable people that have found several of them. I however am not one of the knowledgeable ones. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I there. I did indeed find it. I used the last known co-ordinates and found it without a scratch on it in the middle of the forest! I was extremely lucky. I just feel there must be a way to have avoid it.

Glad you found it. Now delete the app and google search DJI go 3.0.0 APK

Install that on your phone and you won't have any problems and you will have google maps as here maps is shīt

Neon Euc

Reactions: heyjack19
I there. I did indeed find it. I used the last known co-ordinates and found it without a scratch on it in the middle of the forest! I was extremely lucky. I just feel there must be a way to have avoid it.
Well that's a bonus, hopefully you are able to fly it as per normal. I have read that many have rolled the app back to the previous version as the most recent update released still has RTH issues.

That sucks, hope you can find it, from memory you should have been able to either cancel RTH through the app or toggling S1 to regain control (assuming you had time before it disappeared out of range). As heyjack said, get your flight records ready for uploading and the good folk on here will help you locate it if you have not located it yet.

Hi there. Thank you for this information. I'm struggling with some of the terminology. When you say "Toggle", do you me push the stick up and then back to the centre or...? Thanks in advance

Well that's a bonus, hopefully you are able to fly it as per normal. I have read that many have rolled the app back to the previous version as the most recent update released still has RTH issues.

Yeah the only issue was that I searched for the drone for about an hour before going back home and finding the co-ordinates. By that time it was too dark to go out to find it and had to wait till the morning. Typically, being England and all, it rained heavily over night so I have left the drone to dry for the last few days. It has turned on fine, I have tested the motors and the camera seems OK. The real test will be when I take it out for flight this weekend. I just want to be able to stop the RTH in an emergency situation.

Install that on your phone and you won't have any problems and you will have google maps as here maps is shīt

Neon Euc

Yeah I have done some research and that version of the app seems somewhat stable. Will have to test it on the weekend. Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: Neon Euc
Hi there. Thank you for this information. I'm struggling with some of the terminology. When you say "Toggle", do you me push the stick up and then back to the centre or...? Thanks in advance
Again from memory, S1 is your mode switch on the top right hand side of the controller, it's normally in the uppermost position for flying. Click it down one notch to change the flying mode you are in and you should be able to cancel RTH. Or cancel RTH it on the app screen. You shouldn't need to touch your control sticks unless you have resumed normal flying.

Yeah the only issue was that I searched for the drone for about an hour before going back home and finding the co-ordinates. By that time it was too dark to go out to find it and had to wait till the morning. Typically, being England and all, it rained heavily over night so I have left the drone to dry for the last few days. It has turned on fine, I have tested the motors and the camera seems OK. The real test will be when I take it out for flight this weekend. I just want to be able to stop the RTH in an emergency situation.
Ah yes England, no wonder we fled as convicts to a warmer place. Assuming your drone flies ok, download the friendly app, set your RTH to somewhere manageable (further than 20 mtrs away) and practice with both the app and your S1 and S2 mode switch to make it instinctive. It's there in the manual. And don't panic!

Reactions: Gusse and Neon Euc
Ah yes England, no wonder we fled as convicts to a warmer place. Assuming your drone flies ok, download the friendly app, set your RTH to somewhere manageable (further than 20 mtrs away) and practice with both the app and your S1 and S2 mode switch to make it instinctive. It's there in the manual. And don't panic!

haha. Yeah I really need to do some practicing as I can safely say I was far from calm when my drone decided to fly 1400m away from me! But thank you, I will give it a try :)

From your description of events, I assume that the system went into RTH on it's own, which would indicate that the Phantom was out of range. That would mean you cannot cancel RTH.
Trying to cancel though was smart, as there's always the chance that radio connection is re-established.
If however you initiated the RTH, and the bird was still in communication with the RC, it would have cancelled.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hi there guys,

So I was recently hit by the bug in version 3.1.2 of the DJI GO app. I have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard. It set my home position 1400m away and I was helpless to stop it.

When did you notice the "new" RTH and was that where it was at the start?

AD

Don't forget to delete the folders too when you uninstall the app
1486609940224.png

Neon Euc

Neon Euc
I would go with 2.9.1 or 3.0.1

Don't forget to delete the folders too when you uninstall the app View attachment 75737

Neon Euc
A simple uninstall and install should be all that is needed, have done it many times with the Go app and Litchi too. Never used a file manager and it always worked just fine.

Just wanted to say when this happened to me I pressed the cancel RTH red circle with cross through and I took control. Definitely shows why we should be always visually in distance of the drone, although people who want to test range etc shouldn't have to put up with it. Anyway I can always recall that moment when I saw £400 pound start flying off over tree's towards a highly populated town centre . . .scary :/

Reactions: Neon Euc

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic