Received replacement phantom....DOA

Reaction score
So from previous posts received my first phantom 2 vision a little over two weeks ago. Flew it one time successfully with no problems (no invalid battery or sd card issues) went to fly it again and the camera no longer powers on. You can see the long list of trouble shooting that took place.

I called Bh photo the vendor who I ordered it through and they promptly issued an RMA and sent out a new one which I received today.

So I un-box my second p2v and after I open up the phantoms white box i notice that it looks different than my first p2v. There is no wrapper around the outside of the carton and there was no black packet that contains the instruction manual, stickers etc. I take off the top portion of the carton and it immediately strikes me that this unit had been previously opened. One of the warning stickers was off the motor shaft the screw driver was out of its package and things were just misplaced. This made me feel un easy but everything was in the package (minus the instruction manual and stickers) and at this point I just want to fly this thing.

I charge up the range extender and main battery and plug everything in to test before taking it outside to fly. I turn everything on and it powers up as it should and I immediately get the dreaded "invalid battery" error message. I half expected this and went through the process of updating everything including the tx. After a successful update I went back to the bench to boot everything up again. I go to power on the phantom and nothing... The battery lights up as if it's going to power on but the unit does not beep or light up. I take out the battery and re-insert it several times and the p2v won't turn on. And on the app much like my first unit it gives an error message of cannot connect to phantom 2 vision. I checked the contacts which seem fine, I try the battery out of the first phantom with no luck and I tried the new phantom battery in my first phantom which worked, so it's not a battery issue.

So I think maybe something went wrong with updating (even though it showed up and was successful when attached to the computer and booting back up). Took it back into the house and connected it to the computer and nothing...computer won't recognize it. Tried a bunch of different cAbles, batteries and even another computer and re attached my first bad p2v and come to the conclusion that my second p2v is dead.

Words cant express how frustrated this is...
Called Bh photo and am getting my 3rd phantom sent to me ....

redrick said:
So from previous posts received my first phantom 2 vision a little over two weeks ago. Flew it one time successfully with no problems (no invalid battery or sd card issues) went to fly it again and the camera no longer powers on. You can see the long list of trouble shooting that took place.

I called Bh photo the vendor who I ordered it through and they promptly issued an RMA and sent out a new one which I received today.

So I un-box my second p2v and after I open up the phantoms white box i notice that it looks different than my first p2v. There is no wrapper around the outside of the carton and there was no black packet that contains the instruction manual, stickers etc. I take off the top portion of the carton and it immediately strikes me that this unit had been previously opened. One of the warning stickers was off the motor shaft the screw driver was out of its package and things were just misplaced. This made me feel un easy but everything was in the package (minus the instruction manual and stickers) and at this point I just want to fly this thing.

I charge up the range extender and main battery and plug everything in to test before taking it outside to fly. I turn everything on and it powers up as it should and I immediately get the dreaded "invalid battery" error message. I half expected this and went through the process of updating everything including the tx. After a successful update I went back to the bench to boot everything up again. I go to power on the phantom and nothing... The battery lights up as if it's going to power on but the unit does not beep or light up. I take out the battery and re-insert it several times and the p2v won't turn on. And on the app much like my first unit it gives an error message of cannot connect to phantom 2 vision. I checked the contacts which seem fine, I try the battery out of the first phantom with no luck and I tried the new phantom battery in my first phantom which worked, so it's not a battery issue.

So I think maybe something went wrong with updating (even though it showed up and was successful when attached to the computer and booting back up). Took it back into the house and connected it to the computer and nothing...computer won't recognize it. Tried a bunch of different cAbles, batteries and even another computer and re attached my first bad p2v and come to the conclusion that my second p2v is dead.

Words cant express how frustrated this is...
Called Bh photo and am getting my 3rd phantom sent to me ....

The ONLY good thing in your experience is the willingness on the part of B&h Photo to work with you. I've read that not everyone is getting as good service from their dealer. Many are saying "You have to get approval through DJI before we can replace it". The good dealers stand out when things go wrong!

Good luck. Some of you "first batch" guys are taking one for the team.

wow thats horrible! I'm Sorry man. my replacement arrives friday from BHphoto ... keeping my fingers crossed

Yes hopefully 3rd times a charm!
I'm fairly confident that mine was opened by someone prior to me receiving it...not sure if that had anything to do with it being DOA.

But BH PHOTO has been very understandable and reasonable to work with. I am glad I went with them and am not running into getting return authorization from DJI, which seems like a huge hassle and takes forever.

Bh will send out a replacement same day (they charge your card again) and credit your account when you return the defective unit.
Since I have over 2k of charges on my card with defective units, I could not be charged another 1200. So I have to wait until they receive both of my definitive units back before sending out my 3rd replacement. They did agree to ship my 3rd replacement next day air for the trouble I've been having. Should have my 3rd mid next week.

I curious to see how many units have been sold thus far... And a rough estimate of problems that require return.

Sony released the ps4 and sold close to a million units I believe ? There was a news report that said over 10,000 people had defective units but sony said this was to be expected with this type of new product release, and were not concerned because it was less than 1% of total units shipped.

redrick said:
Sony released the ps4 and sold close to a million units I believe ? There was a news report that said over 10,000 people had defective units but sony said this was to be expected with this type of new product release, and were not concerned because it was less than 1% of total units shipped.

Seems like the Vision is selling well. You gotta wonder how many more sales they would have if every forum wasn't crawling with Vision problems that would scare off a lot of people. Seems like the corporations are not taking this into account with their math. They get all the Pre-Order folks, but how many wait and watch, and then see all the trouble they might get into. I would guess that the perception of trouble may be much more detrimental than the defects themselves.

Time will tell.

Unless you have very obvious problems right out of the box I'm not sure how else you see if the unit is functioning properly other than flying it.
I have seen numerous people report of failing motors and gps problems that only where apparent when in the air.

It's ashamed that we spent the amount of money we have on these units and you get a sub par vendor with that type of response.
I would attempt to get ahold of DJI (which seems to be a feat in itself) and see if they can't do something for you.

Best of luck

Man, this product roll-out has been an unmitigated disaster. I wonder how many folks at DJI are gonna get fired over this ****-show. Sorry to hear of your woes...as a bystander all I can do is feel your pain and wish you the best when the third unit arrives at your doorstep.

PF

redrick said:

Well it wasn't mine you received, B&H got my return yesterday.

Patiently waiting on #2... which might be used?!

Range of Contoller and Vision

I am totally new to this site but I would like some help about range. I have the Phantom 1 and took some
great stuff and now I also have the vision BUT I can only go up 100 + feet and Out of Range/Go Home.
I have upgraded firmware turned the back screw to FCC etc. But now I'm scared to fly this thing. Yes
I have total control fly's great when in it's range but then no go. It does fly home thank god. Wide open space
with nothing around but 100 feet that's it. The Wifi works great it's controlling the Vision with the
controller.

Thanx to anyone who can help.
Jay

That is NOT normal and needs to be investigated ASAP. Consider that machine unsafe to fly.

PF

maybe inside the TX, the antenna cable is not soldered in good way greatly reducing the 5.8 range
286922d1384575894-phantom-vision-antenna-vision.jpg

286923d1384575911-phantom-vision-1149206rzibspiixs6bbsp.jpg

286924d1384575927-phantom-vision-114852ibqzb7iwjhv5q7mh.jpg

Dave Pitman said:
redrick said:

Seems like the Vision is selling well. You gotta wonder how many more sales they would have if every forum wasn't crawling with Vision problems that would scare off a lot of people. Seems like the corporations are not taking this into account with their math. They get all the Pre-Order folks, but how many wait and watch, and then see all the trouble they might get into. I would guess that the perception of trouble may be much more detrimental than the defects themselves.

Time will tell.

As I have mentioned before I have a Phantom Classic and was very keen to purchase a vision. Due to the well documented Battery issue I lost the Vision after 6 minutes flying. I was very lucky to retrieve the vision, all I wanted was a replacement unit.my dealer was reluctant making various excuses. As I bought it online I hit him with the UK distance selling regulations ie a full refund within seven working days this was with a view to purchasing another vision from another dealer.
However I have been keeping an eye on these forums and still don't have the confidence to jump back in yet. There are five other club members who were keen to purchase who are still on the sideline's having been aware of my problems and these forums.
So if this is repeated in clubs around the world DJI could be missing out on a lot of revenue a lot of it due to their Pi$$ poor customer relations.
I think you USA guys should boycott any dealer who is not prepared to help once flown !!!!

I had a motor failure causing a crash. I completely disassembled the unit and found that the "C" retaining washer on the bottom of the motor shaft had come off and found its way into the motor housing freezing the armature. The dealer said replacement is a DJI decision and they could do nothing. BS!!!!

Emailed DJI 3 days ago. The state they will respond in 24-48 hours. More BS!! No response. I like the unit but will look elsewhere for a replacement. $1,200 is a sizable chunk of change to find out how crappy DJI customer service is and the ridiculous lack of dealer support.

I got my Vision from B&H as well. My Vision took a nice crash with the invalid battery and wasn't thrilled about the damage since it was not my own doing. B&H gave me a RMA number, shipped it the same day, and 9 days later I got my exchange. I'll give it a test flight tomorrow and see how it does before upgrading the firmware, but B&H have been an awesome dealer and super friendly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik