Yeah, and for me is was a smaller bag - the Lowepro is awesome, but it's HUGE. I want something that just looks like a regular backpack.

Put batteries in socks, easily solved

I have never had an issue with airlines and my camera batteries or any others, individually or together stored in my luggage (touch wood)
I agree, today most TSA employees don't know the detail of the FAA guidelines, I have never been hassled by them either. The most I've had is a sniff wipe test at LAX. However, the last thing you want is smoke coming from your overhead, and it coming from your bag. It would ruin your vacation, potentially causing an emergency landing. Being cautious and careful with batteries is advised. If you've ever seen a LiPo fire, it's not pretty. As for TSA, someday they will be trained what to look for in the Xray. As drones become more dominant in carry-on luggage they may get more picky with FAA compliance of individual battery protection. If you don't have individual battery protection you may not be allowed past the security check, potentially missing your flight. So it's advised to be compliant, and prepared to know what the rules are if questioned by TSA. I've noticed some in this forum aren't informed, or dismiss the rule of individual battery protection, deciding it's unimportant. I hope this attitude doesn't ruin it for the rest of us, causing an incident with front page news.

I agree, today most TSA employees don't know the detail of the FAA guidelines, I have never been hassled by them either. The most I've had is a sniff wipe test at LAX. However, the last thing you want is smoke coming from your overhead, and it coming from your bag. It would ruin your vacation, potentially causing an emergency landing. Being cautious and careful with batteries is advised. If you've ever seen a LiPo fire, it's not pretty. As for TSA, someday they will be trained what to look for in the Xray. As drones become more dominant in carry-on luggage they may get more picky with FAA compliance of individual battery protection. If you don't have individual battery protection you may not be allowed past the security check, potentially missing your flight. So it's advised to be compliant, and prepared to know what the rules are if questioned by TSA. I've noticed some in this forum aren't informed, or dismiss the rule of individual battery protection, deciding it's unimportant. I hope this attitude doesn't ruin it for the rest of us, causing an incident with front page news.
I agree with all that you have said.

But the case of this bag it would be as easy as just wrapping additional batteries in socks or reconfiguring the sections to seperate similar so the contacts aren't exposed. This is no different to a bag that has individual sections for each battery.

You could also buy 3d printed caps for the battery for very little online

Last edited:
Man. I wanted to love this case but I'm returning it to amazon and going back to my Procraft. The polar pro is a very nice case. But with the dbs mod antenna . 3 batts. Etc. I just can't get it to work. Dang

That Microraptor backpack uses a foam cutout insert. There is no room to fit anything else.
The materials look cheap, you can't carry a tripod, there is no lock, no rain cover, nothing for extra equipment such as a laptop, camera, bottle of water or small tools.

And the backpack doesn't fit in the carry on dimensions for airlines.
I do NOT want to check in my luggage.
No foam cut out + carry on > foam cut out + tossed around by underpaid and negligent staff.
I got the hard case/backpack combo and with the foam insert put in the backpack, there's plenty room in the zippered padded compartments for everything you stated and more. It's also carry on compatible. The only thing I didn't care for was the price but you get what you pay for. Over $400 to ship to Canada. The foam is what sold me on their product. No movement of any component when packed. I take my p4 in the back of my quad up in the mountains so I need something that secures my investment.

I got the hard case/backpack combo and with the foam insert put in the backpack, there's plenty room in the zippered padded compartments for everything you stated and more. It's also carry on compatible. The only thing I didn't care for was the price but you get what you pay for. Over $400 to ship to Canada. The foam is what sold me on their product. No movement of any component when packed. I take my p4 in the back of my quad up in the mountains so I need something that secures my investment.

Hi @khanbull -

Thank you for your note.

Looking for the right backpack is a bit of pain really.

When I looked at the case/ backpack combo you are discussing, the product page listed 24 x 15 x 9" and that's bigger than carry on dimensions I know the airlines I fly with use.

Is this the one you have? It does look spacious and it should be for something of this size but that does not work for me.

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 1.52.47 PM.png

Further, I contacted Nanuk and they advised that the NANUK 935 case would fit my required dimensions but won't accommodate all the things I listed I wanted to fit in there. They could not place a TSA-approved lock on the 935 case either.

I am happy with the Drone Trekker backpack when traveling for now and I use the DJI case when I am simply transporting my P4 in my car.

Could you please create a new thread and share your experience and pictures with your set-up?

Finally, I am amazed how many people bring up pricing/ money on forums where the average owner has spent $1,700 $ 2,000 on a toy and accessories for it: I don't see how $100-400 for a way to protect your belongings is a problem. People just don't see to shop for value or to get what THEY want. Everyone is just settling and compromising. Like the person they date/ marry, like the soul-sucking jobs they get. the mediocre car they drive etc. :(

@swlamarshrunner Sincere apologies for the turn your thread has taken. I would have liked it to stay in line with your review and discussing the Drone Trekker.
Thanks to your review, I got one and I am thankful for the time you took to share with us.
Thank you.
Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: swlamarshrunner
Nice review. Would you tell me about how to get those motor caps? I'm about to get a P4 and one of those backpacks. I'm not sure if the P4 already comes with those caps.

And about gimbal protector, does P4 already comes with it?

Well for me I don't justify the cost of backpacks or cases as well I spent $1500 already so what's another $200 for a bag? That's how car dealers and their add on packages and grocery stores with the candy display get you. In all the bags they are typically made with similar material but you just need to find one to fit your lifestyle. The price point for backpacks with some zippers and Velcro starting at $100 is really outrageous already but that's where the market is. There's tons of markup with it. That's why I complain.

@Gustavo the motor caps I bought are eh...they are silicone rubber that you can find on eBay or Amazon. It seems to more protect the bag than anything else. I'm going to find a hard plastic or metal one. I just want that weight distributed. It's more as a precaution. Everyone claims how sturdy this is.

The gimbal guard is another addon.

As I live in Europe and I would have to pay customs for the polarpro + expensive shipment, I've just ordered the one in banggood...

I will let you know when it arrives !

As I said, I uploaded a few photos of the backpack (the chinese "copy" someone showed):

YX backpack review.

I received my Drone Trekker yesterday. Couldn't be happier with it. I have plenty of room for my P4, 4 batteries, and controller. I am not even concerned when I put the MaxxUAV kit on mine, I should still have plenty of room.

I had one of the foam based backpacks for my P3 and it was much bulkier. This one will be much nicer to travel with in my view. It just depends what you need, but the quality of this is excellent.

I cut one of the dividers in half for between the batteries. Works good. I also have the 3d printed plugs on each of them. Props go over the batteries or if I take my camera out, the props and landing gear fit there nicely. My controller harness is on the other side with my 4th battery. Plenty of room for me.

It is a little tight right now to close, but not enough to concern me. I actually like that it keeps it a bit snug.

IMG_0634.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt122; and Ovt
Just ordered the Trekker for my P3S 4k
went direct to Polar Pro and used DISCOUNT CODE SUMMER10

You'll love it. Polar Pro makes a sick bag! Like completely mental!
I'm too much of a researcher before purchases. Rare that I encounter buyer's remorse and after watching videos and reading the forums I know I won't be disappointed. Glad to see another positive comment about the bag. Biggest selling points to me in a bag were - Backpack, fits airplane, has ability to hold my Sirui Monopod (highly recommend), DSLR and Drone equipment. Too many of these drone cases have that prefit foam which is too restricting.

Also picked up the lens/gimbal lock, the NDfilter case (although I don't have filters), gimbal protector

Nice review. Would you tell me about how to get those motor caps? I'm about to get a P4 and one of those backpacks. I'm not sure if the P4 already comes with those caps.

And about gimbal protector, does P4 already comes with it?

A set of motor caps come with the Polar pack but they are also available on Amazon. The P4 comes with a brace to keep the camera from bouncing around while transporting but not an actual gimbal protector. Those are also available on Amazon.

Just picked one of these up. I was just going to use the case that came with the P4 but after carrying that thing around to get to a few spots to fly....I needed a backpack.

Reactions: Matt122;
Just picked one of these up. I was just going to use the case that came with the P4 but after carrying that thing around to get to a few spots to fly....I needed a backpack.

Nice man, I hope you enjoy it. I know I do!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1