Receipt/Bill of Sale for Registering with FAA

It's the intent you had at the time you took the drone images/video that controls. If you shot them as a hobbyist, you can legally sell them at a later time, if someone will pay you for them. The more separated in time, the better. That means you can't have a drone photography business for hire without getting the 333 Exemption and finding a licensed pilot to fly the mission. However, you could legally create a business that sells your existing previously shot stock drone images, all originally shot as a hobbyist, at a later time, without a 333 Exemption. YMMV.

You are not getting my gist. I took them and sent to the parents for their memories. Posters are saying since the parent sent one to the paper, they published it, got paid, it is no longer a hobby. I don't run a business, don't care to make money and could not care what they do with my photos. People are so wrapped around making money and this 333 crap it is nauseating. Gets old with everyone saying if someone makes money, blah, blah, blah. And not sure how time separation would affect whether someone makes money at a later date since someone could say they are going to take 1,000 photos, and wait a little while and sell them. And when approached about it, say, I was not intending and time passed anyway.

You are not getting my gist. I took them and sent to the parents for their memories. Posters are saying since the parent sent one to the paper, they published it, got paid, it is no longer a hobby. I don't run a business, don't care to make money and could not care what they do with my photos. People are so wrapped around making money and this 333 crap it is nauseating. Gets old with everyone saying if someone makes money, blah, blah, blah. And not sure how time separation would affect whether someone makes money at a later date since someone could say they are going to take 1,000 photos, and wait a little while and sell them. And when approached about it, say, I was not intending and time passed anyway.
Your intent is subjective, but measured objectively. The separation in time clarifies the lack of having a business intent at the time they were shot as a hobbyist. Build your hobby portfolio as a hobbyist for a year, sell your drone, and then decide to create a business selling those images taken as a hobbyist the next year. Perfectly legal, and no 333 Exemption or pilot's license needed. Hopefully, you registered yourself as a UAS pilot with the FAA, if that was a requirement at the time the images were taken. If they were all taken prior to the FAA registration deadlines, even that was not necessary, since you were only a hobbyist. YMMV.

Reactions: BigAl07
Where did you think I said I am building a portfolio for myself? Never said it, never implied that. Nor, did I ever say anything about a business. You are really out in left field and I did register my drone. And where does it say anything about having to have a registered drone to take a picture? Is there oxygen on your planet? Thanks for the useless information and I will wait for your novel to be published. You must be trying to post messages just to get your message total up there with other people. Done here....

Where did you think I said I am building a portfolio for myself? Never said it, never implied that. Nor, did I ever say anything about a business. You are really out in left field and I did register my drone. And where does it say anything about having to have a registered drone to take a picture? Is there oxygen on your planet? Thanks for the useless information and I will wait for your novel to be published. You must be trying to post messages just to get your message total up there with other people. Done here....
Me thinks you are the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:
I'm just trying to help you, but you don't seem to want anyone's help. You just want to complain. Yeah, I really need my post count increased. I'm just 6 posts shy of 3,000 Messages (with 834 Likes), and as soon as I hit 3000, I get FREE trip to Hawaii! :p You, on the other hand, have been a member for less than a month with 40 posts. Sorry I wasted your time and mine trying to help you. :rolleyes: Don't worry. Won't happen again!

In any event, there are some 48,600 other members who benefit from the posts contributed here. Just because you don't comprehend them, doesn't mean someone else won't benefit from them. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: JBG
Me thinks you are the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:
I'm just trying to help you, but you don't seem to want anyone's help. You just want to complain. Yeah, I really need my post count increased. I'm just 6 posts shy of 3,000 Messages (with 834 Likes), and as soon as I hit 3000, I get FREE trip to Hawaii! :p You, on the other hand, have been a member for less than a month with 40 posts. Sorry I wasted your time and mine trying to help you. :rolleyes: Don't worry. Won't happen again!

In any event, there are some 48,600 other members who benefit from the posts contributed here. Just because you don't comprehend them, doesn't mean someone else won't benefit from them. :cool:

Exactly, while you were posting all your insulting things to people that don't bow to your whim, I was helping my mother and siblings move 6 times while my father was relocating as he was deploying. So, excuse me for not being devoted to bantering others, but been a little busy while my father deploys again and from Louisiana for another 9-12 months tour of duty.

I have lived in Wahiawa, Hawaii though and also Alaska and several other states and other countries. And not sure how disagreeing with you or anyone else is being negative, it is called, "A forum." I am sure all your likes will equate to a selfless pat on your back. Not sure where you are helping me. A message or reply can be a smiley face, so big deal. And just because I have only been on here a month and you for less than a year just means you are probably making sure you impress your friends. By the way, nice FAA icon, and sure you are employed by them. Too bad you don't want others to know where you live. I guess the city of, "Mom's House," and State of, "Basement." were not available to choose from in the location. And you have been a member; 270 days and have 2,995 posts? Wow, 11 whopping posts a day. I bet if you give up some of Casey Neistat's praising on YouTube, you can make it to 12 posts a day instead of 11. (Which by the way, 2,995 posts divided by 270 days is 11 posts a day.)

You may want to take a look at this page from the FAA, "Mr. FAA Logo Man." Particularly under the FAA Branding Section for their Logo (http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/branding_writing/branding_order_17006.pdf). Item 9(a) and 10B(1) and (2) says, "You must get approval from the Assistant Administrator..." And if you are an employee of the FAA, and using it for you own personal persona, you are in violation of the Hatch Act, as a government employee.

But you go ahead and do what you think is correct, after all, you have 11 posts a day for a total of 2,995 in 270 days, and we are all impressed. Sorry if I don't reply for a while, we are moving our family back to Fort Bragg, North Carolina and bidding adieu to our Dad for another year.

If you take the image as a hobbyist you can give them to whoever you want for their personal use all is good. Regardless who they give them to you took them as a hobbyist and that's it.

If you took them as a hobbyist with the intention of giving them to someone to use in furtherance of a business (ads, website promotions, etc) then your intentions were wrong as it was commercial. That's clearly NOT the case with your pictures so it's a non-issue what so ever.

Clear as mud? I think so :)

Exactly, while you were posting all your insulting things to people that don't bow to your whim, I was helping my mother and siblings move 6 times while my father was relocating as he was deploying. So, excuse me for not being devoted to bantering others, but been a little busy while my father deploys again and from Louisiana for another 9-12 months tour of duty.

I have lived in Wahiawa, Hawaii though and also Alaska and several other states and other countries. And not sure how disagreeing with you or anyone else is being negative, it is called, "A forum." I am sure all your likes will equate to a selfless pat on your back. Not sure where you are helping me. A message or reply can be a smiley face, so big deal. And just because I have only been on here a month and you for less than a year just means you are probably making sure you impress your friends. By the way, nice FAA icon, and sure you are employed by them. Too bad you don't want others to know where you live. I guess the city of, "Mom's House," and State of, "Basement." were not available to choose from in the location. And you have been a member; 270 days and have 2,995 posts? Wow, 11 whopping posts a day. I bet if you give up some of Casey Neistat's praising on YouTube, you can make it to 12 posts a day instead of 11. (Which by the way, 2,995 posts divided by 270 days is 11 posts a day.)

You may want to take a look at this page from the FAA, "Mr. FAA Logo Man." Particularly under the FAA Branding Section for their Logo (http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/branding_writing/branding_order_17006.pdf). Item 9(a) and 10B(1) and (2) says, "You must get approval from the Assistant Administrator..." And if you are an employee of the FAA, and using it for you own personal persona, you are in violation of the Hatch Act, as a government employee.

But you go ahead and do what you think is correct, after all, you have 11 posts a day for a total of 2,995 in 270 days, and we are all impressed. Sorry if I don't reply for a while, we are moving our family back to Fort Bragg, North Carolina and bidding adieu to our Dad for another year.
I thought you were done! Now who's writing novels?:rolleyes:
Your post created a teachable moment, to which I replied. Sorry you didn't get that part. It isn't all about you, or me. It's about helping others, and giving back.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20